PDA

View Full Version : A Place to discuss Sharps-Borchardt

rak
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I recently purchased a Model 1878 Sharps Borchardt Saddle Ring Carbine and in my search to find info about my rifle I have found a vast amount of information on all Models of Sharps Except the Borchardt. Don't get me wrong there is some and it is informative but I couldnt find any thread dedicated to these amazing Guns .
So I thought I would start one
So here is the story on mine
According to Dr Labowskie (Sharps Records Holder) my gun shipped to H and D Folsom In St Louis Febuary 18 of 1879 .
I was glad to hear from the Doc that it had shipped originally from Sharps to just west of the Missippi river.
It is in good condition aside from the rear sight is not on it and it has a newer barrel band (I am looking for original replacements of these)
The action ,barrel bore and all other metal are in great shape as well as the markings that read Old Reliable and Borchardt Patent,Sharps Rifle Company, Bridgeport Conn. U.S.A.
According to Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms
Borchardts were manufactured from1878-1881 when Sharps shut down and the total quantity is aprox. 8,700 of the Borchardts with only
Aprox. 384 made in the Carbine Saddle ring configuration.
Aprox. 6,900 Military
Aprox. 215 Mid Ranges
Aprox.230 Long Ranges
Aprox. 62 Hunter's Rifle
Aprox. 89 Business Rifles
Aprox. 610 Sporting Rifles
and Aprox48 Officer's Rifles
Again this is just info out of Flayderman's Book by Norm Flayderman

It is an awsome piece of history and I am very proud to add it to my collection.
It is my hope that by starting this thread folks with info on these type rifles will emerge ,if not I can look forward to updating the thread myself in hopes of helping others that are searching out info on thiers.
Thanks for any and all input , Here is mine

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/aalamp579.jpg

ole pizen slinger
05-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I believe the total number manufactured were about 22,000. I have a military Borchardt with a serial # 16925.
ole pizen slinger

rak
05-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks Ole PZ
I to have read that the number is 22,000 I believe and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that 22,000 is the number of Sharps produced including the Express and Shuetzen models, yet the number of Borchardt Patents was 8700 like I said I am not sure of this and I will scan the info that I have out of Flaydermans Book and I will be getting a Sharps Book By Frank Sellers as I understand it has a lot of information as well
That is the reason I started this thread is to try to get better details on all of this
Hopefully Harry Eales will chime in as he has provided me with a lot of info in Private messages

Here is a copy and paste of the PM's from Harry (with his approval) Regarding My Borchardt and Borchardts in general,I only posted his side of the conversation so it might seem wierd but to me it is all relevent and good information.

Hello Rac,

Thanks for your PM. Your a lucky dog.lol.

According to the late Frank Sellers in his book Sharps Firearns, there were only 384 of these carbines made.

50 of these were sold to the state of Louisiana and were shiped on 25 April 1878. Most of the rest went West via the NY gun dealers of Schyler, Hartley and Graham. I imagine that over time those that have survived are now small in number. I have a book of sales records made to western outlets by Schyler, Hartley and Graham, In it are listed all the orders they shipped out west, it will take some going through to see if any are recorded and who they were shipped too and on what dates. I love investigating.

It's certainly a collectors item, even if it is in poor condition. Has yours any cartouches or other stamps on the stock? If it was one of the Louisiana contract weapons it would even have more value.

Whichever way you look at it, you have a scarce item and I can only recollect seeing one for sale in the past ten years. Sadly I don't have further details of what price it brought or who sold it. I'm glad you were able to get your carbine 'Lettered' it always adds to the value if you ever have to sell it. I think Dr Lobowskie charges a bit much, the previous owner of the records Dr. R. L. Moore, only charged half the current price. I suppose Labowski is trying to recoup some of the money he spent purchasing the records from Dr. Moore's Estate.

Good luck in your search for additional carbines, be aware that some full length military rifles were cut down to carbine size by their owners, these can quickly be spotted as they have different sights, no saddle ring and often a hole in the forend where the ram/cleaning rod used to be. Just out of interest your carbine originally sold or was priced at US $16.50 A slight rise in value has taken place since. lol.

Regards,

Harry

Hello Rac,

I have got through about half of my book or shipping records and have found several references to Borchardt Military rifles being shipped either as single items or by the case load, but nothing as yet for Borchardt Carbines.

S,H & G certainly shipped a lot of Sharps out west, including a lot of refurbished Civil War rifles and Carbines.

I'll keep looking though.
Your missing sight would have been the Richard S. Lawrence open rear rifle sight. Patented in 1859. This was fitted to many of the Borchardt Rifles, and earlier Sharps rifles and carbines, so you may be able to pick up an original if you place an Advert in as many Gun Forums as possible. Most Forums have a free For Sale/Wanted section. For the Patent details see:-

http://www.google.com/patents?id=qoh...&jtp=1#PPP1,M1

Be aware the patent drawings may differ slightly from the production item itself.

It's likely that the rear barrel band of a standard military Borchardt will fit your carbine. Factories didn't make additional parts for a rifle if they already had something they could use already at hand. The whittling away of the wood could have been done to make the replacement band fit. Again try advertising for a barrel band. There's likely to be a few people who have converted Military Borchardts to Long Range target rifles and who will have the old parts in their 'parts bin'.

Re, the hand carved number, try dusting a light coating of Talcum Powder over the markings and wipe away the surplus, that should highlight the markings, the powder will wipe or brush off without causing any harm.

Chase after the parts you need, respectful restoration with original parts won't harm your carbine at all.

I'll keep checking the records.

Catch you later,

Harry

Hello Rac,

The total of 22,000 Borchardts of all models is Frank Sellers information, he was a major collector of Sharps Firearms and spent years researching his information. It's a pity he died before he could improve on the first edition of his book. He probably knew more about Sharps Firearms than anyone else.

He researched the Factory Record books and other factory papers which were owned then by Dr. R.L.Moore. It's a pity that the model 1878 Borchardt wasn't better documented, but the factory had major financial problems and paying a clerk to keep the records up to date probably wasn't their top priority. Factory internal letters and memo's show that they were still assembling older side hammer models from their stocks of spare parts, re-barreling older weapons, indeed doing anything to get money into their coffers.

Please feel free to use any of my info on your thread.

Thanks for the info on how the rear barrel sight was fitted, much appreciated.

Regards,

Harry

A pic of the sight area

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/aalamp589.jpg

rak
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Favorites in my collection

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/Copyofaalamp587.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/aalamp592.jpg

madcaster
05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
A neighbor had one of these when I was in High School,i was impressed even in my younger days!:coffee:

Harry Eales
05-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Interesting to note that the Sharps Borchardt 'Long Range' rifle is priced at
$12,500 in excellent condition. Less than two months ago an example of this model (possibly the finest one in existance) sold for $50,000.00 at a public auction in Amoskeag. (Ex Ray Day Collection).

Harry

rak
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Interesting to note that the Sharps Borchardt 'Long Range' rifle is priced at
$12,500 in excellent condition. Less than two months ago an example of this model (possibly the finest one in existance) sold for $50,000.00 at a public auction in Amoskeag. (Ex Ray Day Collection).

Harry

Wow ,I would love to have a couple of those lying around the house.LOL

Harry can you elaborate more on the count of Sharps Borchardts. The information is confusing as noted earlier in this thread by ole pizen slinger Some information has the number 22,000 and as he pointed out the serial number range also indicates more.
Is the number confusion due to the fact that there are 8700 Borchardt Patents and then there are 13,300 of other sharps ( not Borchardt ) variants?
Thanks Harry
and
Thanks for posting Madcaster

Harry Eales
05-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello Rac,

The method of serial numbering the Borchardts is confusing and seems to follow no set pattern. The serial numbers appear to jump around all over the place. No variant of the military rifle appears to have consecutive serial numbers.

For example the 1878 Mid Range Target rifle of which only 246 were made have serial no's as low as 226, then they jump too 7,048 and then to 17,564, These numbers are from surviving specimens. Similar jumps in serial no's can be found in all the 1878 Borchardt variants.

The only way I think that this can be explained is as follows

The Sharps Borchardt was designed primarily as a military rifle. Sharps had made their fortune by supplying very large numbers of rifles to the Military of not only the US but to other countries over several decades. There is little doubt that they hoped the 1878 military model would also sell in large numbers.

It is reasonable then, to suppose, that the production line would consist of making actions in the military configuration and that at some stage in production serial numbers would be applied, presumably in a consecutive manner.

However, when a special order for a particular variant model came in, it is likely that it was made from the basic military receiver, just taken off the production line when needed. It would be far simpler just to modify the basic receiver, than to tool up to produce actions with only slightly different configurations. Sharps had for some years run the equivelent of a 'Custom Gun Shop' in which these special order rifles were made. Just using an action pulled off the production line whenever a special order came in, would account for the great differences in the serial numbering of each of the Borchardt variants.

Strangely Borchardt serial no 0. wasn't a military rifle, it was a custom Long Range target rifle. The 1878 model appeared at a time when the famous Creedmoor long range rifle competitions were taking place. The 1874 sidehammer Sharps rifle had already established a formidable reputation in Long Range target shooting and there is little doubt that American marksmen had high hopes for the new Borchardt design with it's faster lock time.

Sharps had a problem however, target rifles built on the military Borchardt action couldn't make the weight requirments under the competition rules of that time which was a maximum weight of 10lbs.

To lighten the receiver additional machining had to be carried out, the front end of the receiver was recontoured on the top and bottom, the side panels were milled out, internally metal was removed beneath the barrel reveiver ring. The breechblock had metal removed from the underside of the firing pin spring housing, and the stockbolt was drilled through along its length making it tube like.

The recontouring of the exterior of the action and the elegant looking side panels added considerably to the overall appearance of the action that appealed to many shooters and these features were used on other 1878 models modified from the basic military action.

Sadly the factory records for the Borchardt are fragmented and incomplete, but it is known that the 1878 model production started at serial no. 0., and serial numbers in the 19,500 + range are known. The numbers of each variant of the 1878 Sharps given by Sellers in his book Sharps Firearms may well be just those which can be accounted for from the factory records, these may well represent the minimum number of each variant produced.

I know of at least one Borchardt Long Range rifle that is 100% genuine that cannot be traced in the factory records, if one exists there may well be others in all variants.

Sadly Mr Sellers is no longer with us, I have little doubt he could have answered a lot of the questions being asked today.

Harry

Harry Eales
05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
In a previous post I mentioned that the sum of US$ 50,000.00 was paid for a Borchardt Long Range target rifle. I have attached some photographs of this particular rifle. Enjoy.
Click on each thumbnail to enlarge it. Then when the enlargement appears click on it again to enlarge it further still.
The detail is magnificent.

Harry

rak
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow Harry that is awsome! Thank You so much for all of the information and input on this thread. It has already become a wealth of information and I look forward to more and more.
Your Passion for these rifles is again amazingly admirable
Thanks Again.

waksupi
05-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Harry, what can you tell me about the previous history of that particular rifle? I believe I may know a few things about it. PM if you wish.

Harry Eales
05-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Harry, what can you tell me about the previous history of that particular rifle? I believe I may know a few things about it. PM if you wish.

Hello Waksupi,

Sadly I lost all the information I had on this rifle, together with many of my Borchardst rifle pictures in a recent virus attack that corrupted my files

All I know at present is, that it was a part of the Ray Day Rifle Collection that was sold at the Amoskeag Auction on the 29th March 2008. Ray Day lived in California and owned some of the finest single shot rifles ever made in the USA.

I think it would be of interest to others if you could post what information you have here, then folks can match the information to the pictures.

Harry

Harry Eales
05-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Borchardt set triggers.

As originally conceived, the Borchardt Rifle was not intended to be fitted with a set trigger. However, due to a demand from shooters, Hugo Borchardt was asked to design a set trigger mechanism that could be fitted into the existing action.

As one of the selling points of the rifle was the automatically applied safety catch, a design had to be conceived that permitted the retention of the safety.

The design Borchardt came up with was ingenious, but not particularly successful.
The trigger was 'set' by pushing forward the rear facing 'trigger' which was under a strong spring pressure, until the mechanism engaged the trigger (the amount of engagement could be adjusted by a set screw). The safety catch was then released and a light touch on the trigger released the setting device which then acted as a 'knock off' and which hit the sear bar a heavy blow which in turn released the firing pin.

Shooters were not particularly happy with this design as on firing the tip of the setting trigger shot backwards pinching the trigger finger of the shooter. Many of the none military actions were modified to take the set trigger. When a set trigger mechanism was not ordered the extended slot in front of the trigger was covered by a blanking plate pinned in position. A picture of the set trigger mechanism is attached.

The rifle pictured is a Military action slightly modified, perhaps a special order item, that was fitted with the set trigger mechanism, note the serial no is in the 18,000 range.

Harry

rak
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Very Interesting Harry,I am glad mine does not have that

Here is the body of Text that I recieved in my factory letter

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/CopyofCopyofscan0001.jpg

Harry Eales
05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Hello Rac,

Your lucky, I know of several people who have Borchardts who just cannor get them 'lettered'. It appears that only about one in three Borchardts can be 'lettered'.

You should keep your eyes open for the reloading kits Sharps supplied, you may have to buy them seperately, but they would add to the value of your Carbine should you ever want to dispose of it.

Harry

rak
05-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Harry I certainly will keep an eye out for them.
What do you suppose was in the "kit" or what exactly did the Kit consist of and would it have been in a special case or bag?

Harry Eales
05-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Hello Rac,

As you will appreciate the handloaders of the late 1800's didn't have the precision made re-loading presses that are available today.

The Sharps Rifle Co made and sold several tools to assist the shooter/ hunter/ marksman to reload his cartridge cases, wherever he was. These were a necessity on the plains where many hunted and gunshops were virtually none-existant. The tools sold could be purchased seperately.

All steel bullet molds were made of the scissor type, these had a clipper on the end of the tool to cut off the sprue after the bullet was dropped from the mold. These came in various bullet weights and calibres.

Cap awls were needed to remove the early Berdan primers from the cases, although these were replaced by de-capper re-capping tool during the last two years the company was in operation.

Wad cutters in various calibres were supplied to cut wads from card or felt.

Thin metal plates 3/16" thick with a number of holes drilled in them were supplied so that wax lube discs could be poured and then pressed out when cold.

Followers were made to press wads and lube discs squarely into the case.

Shell reducing punches and dies (called case sizers today).

Bullet seating dies were available to press the bullets into the case to the correct depth, and a shell crimper was available.

Powder chargers in various weights were available attached to a handle so that powder could be scooped up in the measure, a knife blade or spatular would be scraped over the top level and remove any excess powder.

For cleaning rifles without a ramrod a Thong and Brush was sold, better known as bore snakes or pull throughs today. The thong was fed through the barrel from the breech and the spiral bristle brush was pulled through the barrel to remove fouling.

Even powder 'drop tubes' were sold.

Most of these items came in cardboard boxes, few of which have survived.

Not all the tools were made by the Sharps rifle Co, some were contracted out to other manufacturers such as E. Remington & Sons and the Bridgeport Gun Inpliment Co. This firm bought all the reloading tooling from Sharps in 1881 and continued to supply them long after the Sharps Factory closed it's doors.

All these tools are covered in Frank Sellers book Sharps Firearms. This book is out of print but appears regularly on the second hand book market. To obtain a copy try:-
www.abebooks.com
They usually have a few up for sale.

EDIT. I have just checked the above book website, they have 7 copies shown, ranging from $60.50 to $120.00 from different bookshops.

Harry

rak
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow Harry
As usual you come thru with the most detailed answers anyone could ever hope for .Thank you again so much for your contributions to this thread. I am buying the Sharps book by Frank Sellers Today
I am confident that anyone searching for information on the awsome firearms will be well pleased to find what has acumulated here.
Thanks Again

Edited to say
I just ordered the book :)

AkMike
05-23-2008, 02:49 AM
How does one get ahold of Dr Labowskie for info an a Borchardt? I'd be interested in siome history of mine.

Harry Eales
05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
How does one get ahold of Dr Labowskie for info an a Borchardt? I'd be interested in siome history of mine.

Hello Mike,
I hope you are well. The contact details you need are below.

Richard J. Labowskie, M.D.
4613 Osage Ave.
Philadelphia, Pa 19143

Ph 215-748-1376

I believe that a 'Letter' will cost you approx US$ 200.00, though I stand to be corrected. Dr.Labowskie may give you any info he has over the phone (have a paper and pen handy).

The Sharps 1878 records are very poor with approx only one in three serial numbers recorded. Good luck.

Harry

rak
05-23-2008, 07:53 AM
My letter cost $150

rak
05-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey AkMike
The Doc is really very helpful when you call him ,if he has the info he will read it to you on the phone and then if you want the letter it is up to you as Harry said have a pen ready

AkMike
05-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the information guys!

Harry, How's your project coming along?
And I didn't see you wave when I flew over... ;)

Harry Eales
05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the information guys!

Harry, How's your project coming along?
And I didn't see you wave when I flew over... ;)

Hello Mike,

It is progressing if somewhat slowly, having a dicky ticker is making me take things a lot easier than normal. I've got some very nice Claro Walnut for the stock and fore end with a beautiful piece of Ebony for the forend tip.

I've just finished building a jig to machine the curves and contours on the front of the action, I'll put up pictures soon. I keep adding to my Photobucket site, but evertime I post a new picture, one of the older ones seems to disappear. You can see some of my home made Borchardt pictures here :-

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/Rifleman_01/

There's four pages of pictures, there's also four pictures per line, so you may have to use the bottom slide bar to centre them up. Click on any picture to enlarge it then hit the back button to return to my photobucket site.

By the way, I did wave at you, but you must have been looking out of the wrong side of the aircraft. lol.

Dasvidania, (sp?)

Harry

AkMike
05-24-2008, 01:08 AM
By the way, I did wave at you, but you must have been looking out of the wrong side of the aircraft. lol.

Dasvidania, (sp?)

Harry

LOL, That might have been the problem! :D

Can you start a second photobucket account for more capacity?

I just landed an Alex Henry DR in 577/500 Magnum Express. Happen to have any tid-bits of wisdom on this one Harry?

Harry Eales
05-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Hello Mike,

I'll try an additional Photobucket Account, it may work.

Re, your Alex Henry Dble rifle, damn you, you lucky dog. If I remember correctly this round has a 3-1/8" long case so it may be difficult to make cases for it out of the standard .577 case unless you can fine a way to stretch them.

Is yours BP or Nitro for BP? I've never seen a rifle either single or double barrel chambered for this round. I did see several packets of ammo back in 1977 in the Police Firearms Dept in Salisbury (Harare) Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). I doubt if they're still there.

Whichever way you look at it, ammo is going to be difficult to find and expensive to purchase, but I wouldn't let that stop you trying to obtain some. It's not the sort of round you want to fire more than a few shots of in any one day, so 30-50 cases should be enough to last you a lifetime. It would be a real shame if it just became a wall hanger or a gunsafe queen.

Is the cartridge load stamped onto either the underside of the barrel near the proofmarks or on the action water table? There were several versions of the 577/500 cartridge and many manufacturers stamped the loading on their guns to avoid confusion.

I seem to remember that the Alex Henry order records still exist but I can't recollect who has them. It would be worthwhile trying to track them down and find out more about your rifle, and get it 'Lettered'.

EDIT.

Brass made by Bertram (Australia) is available from Graf & Sons. @ $193.99 per 20 or $493.95 per 100. These are primed cases only. I note that 'Gunbroker' recently sold an Alex Henry Dble rifle in 577/500 Express, cased with accessories for $40,000,00.
Regards,

Harry

AkMike
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I'll give more details about it when it arrives next week. Now about all I know is it has damascus tubes( so a BPE round) and is in good shape and on face.

And I couldn't and didn't pay anywhere near that amout for it.....

Harry Eales
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Hello Mike,
That's a beautiful looking rifle (I'm jealous). More pics please once you have it in your posession.

I'm glad you didn't have to pay 40 grand for it, so now you may be able to buy some of those Bertram cases for it. I would recommend you anneal them first, Bertram cases have a reputation for being rather hard as supplied. If there's no load data stamped on the rifle, there must be some details available on the www. Perhaps in the Double Gun Forum.

Regards,

Harry

AkMike
05-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I've heard that it likes 160 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 pushing a 350 grain boolit. It's supposed to come with a NFB load it likes also.
It is coming with 20 formed brass from a 577NE and 20 ORIGIONAL in the greased paper packets. IIRC Grafs had the brass for $103 per 20 but I found 577NE on sale elsewhere for $53.. I think I'll form some even if they are 1/8th inch short..

I wish it were here already because about Tuesday I'm headed out for a black bear hunt. I'll take my Chapuis 9.3X74R this time.
I'm just looking for meat but if I see a nice rug I'll take it! :D

rak
05-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Very Nice looking rifle Mike
Have a look at what I got today, It has a factory letter that says it shipped to St Louis Oct 6,1883
It is a 45lc and has buffalo horn grips,It will be a little while before I get it home due to lay a way.
I look forward to seeing more pics of your rifle when you get it home
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/05-24-08_1407.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/05-24-08_1409.jpg

AkMike
05-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Pretty neat RAK.
Sorry about hijacking your thread.

rak
05-24-2008, 11:13 PM
No Prob at all Mike, I love discussing and seeing pics of all guns so throw anything ya want into the mix

Harry Eales
05-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Hello Mike,

That sounds like a reasonable BP load for your rifle, but I must admit, I'd be very wary about using any NFB load in Damascus barrels. These cases are cavenous, and being slightly bottlenecked won't like fillers to hold the white powder in place.
Personally, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of using a nitro powder in these rounds at all, it's far too nice a rifle to risk damaging it.

I don't think using necked down .577" NE cases will cause a problem, not many people would fire enough BP rounds of this calibre to cause gas errosion damage in that 1/8" gap.

That original ammo is worth it's weight in gold, hang on to it, don't be tempted to fire it off. Check the Ammo Collecters list prices for the old British Double Rifle ammo you'll be surprised at what they're worth, especially in their original wrappers.

Good luck on your Bear hunt, damn, I wish I could go out Bear hunting, the largest wild carnivours we have over here are Foxes. :violin:

Regards,

Harry

AkMike
05-25-2008, 04:08 AM
I wasn't planning to use that new fangled white powder,, It's just a passing fad and will go away! I might try a 10% dose of 4227 IF I have any problems.. But I doubt it'll be needed.
I've been trying to get info off the weband it might have an honest 1/2" tube... I'd hoped for a .510 to match another 50 cal I have moulds for. We'll see..
I know about what the origional stuff is worth.. It'll go in a safe!

I'll take lot'sa pics if I go on this hunt, I still have your email address.

rak
05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't be afraid to post pics from the hunt here Mike I would love to see them

rak
05-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I got my Frank Sellers Sharps book
Well worth the money ,Thanks Harry for the recomendation

Harry Eales
05-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I got my Frank Sellers Sharps book
Well worth the money ,Thanks Harry for the recomendation

My pleasure Rac,

Glad to hear your enjoying it. A great source of information on all the Sharps Firearms.

I'm currently waiting for the arrival of a copy of the last Sharps Rifle Co. Catalogue ever published, for the year 1879-80. I already have their 1877-79 list. It's nice to have little bits of ephemera on your favourite subject.

Harry

rak
05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey Harry I am just curious
Any thoughts on the Colt ?

Harry Eales
05-31-2008, 02:54 AM
Hey Harry I am just curious
Any thoughts on the Colt ?

Hello rac,

A nice looking revolver and worth more since you have it lettered. I have very little experience with Colt revolvers except with a 44 Walker replica I owned in the 1960's. That was accurate considering the sights. No problem in hitting a man size target at 100 yards will all six rounds.

Most of my experience with handguns is with semi-autimatics. I wore out 3 x .45 Colt auto's in thirty years of Practical Pistol Shooting, that's not just the barrels that's pistols, lol. You can only tighten them up so many times. My other favourite was a TDT .44 AMP. I lost the lot when handguns were banned here in 1997.

Harry

rak
05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks Harry,Like I said i was just curious
Here is a Colt 44 thats been in my family for about 3 generations. It has a Richard-Mason
factory conversion
I also have a few ACP's as well. 1917 and 1947 Government Model
I hope they don't ever ban them here cause I would have to lose mine in my closet safe.
I hope you don't mind looking at pics,I will try to get back on track (Borchardt)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/Bibllle009.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/Alan62/aalamp020.jpg

AkMike
05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey Harry

We got 6 bears for 6 people and the Chapuis was awsome even at 250yds.
I'll toss some pics later on this thread if RAK won't mind.
:D

rak
05-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Please do Mike,sounds like y'all did good

Harry Eales
06-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Hello Mike,

I'd love to see them as well. It sounds like you had a great time.

Harry

rak
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Harry be sure and check the last thread on page 2

AkMike
06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Here's a couple of the type of area we had to work with on the coast. About 6 1/2 foot and a great pelt until you looked at the belly. This bear looked like he shaved everything from the chest down! It wasn't rubbed it was MIA!

AkMike
06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I got this critter. Not the biggest but it looked fat thru the scope. I was looking for meat not a rug. The hide stayed behind. I nailed it at about 250 yds with about 100' elevation with the Chapuis 9.3X74R double rifle. That rifle shoots great.

rak
06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow
Those are awsome pics Mike. Looks like a beautiful area.We don't see many bears down here in south Texas

Hey Mike
What does Bear Meat taste like,and what consistancy or texture is it.
Like beef or pork ?

AkMike
06-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Bear meat reminds me of bear! It's a red meat like beef but it's it's own flavor depending on what it eats. Later this summer or next fall they'll stink like rotten salmon, (guess why?) And the taste is similar. Yech!
If you get a fall blackie that is away from the salmon creeks/rivers and it's been a vegitariaqn and eating berrys they're fantastic.
These spring bears are veggin out right now! Yummy!
The first bear pic was a nuice one and a great pelt, (no rubs) BUT,,,, It looked like it had shaved it's belly and chest! Nary a hair on it! I've never seen that before.. Weird..

Harry Eales
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Hello Mike,

A nice set of pictures and a nice Bear, what weight did it dress out to? I've never had Bear Meat, but I've eaten most of the game animals in Africa. (not all at one sitting). lol.

Rac, That's the first decent picture I've seen in many years of a Mason-Richards conversion, nice looking gun, I hope you shoot it occasionally. Nice looking .45's as well. I wish I had ten bucks for every one of those I've worked on before they got banned over here.

Harry

AkMike
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Well Harry
Just drag your self on over for dinner anytime! It won't be African fare but lot'sa Halibut, Crab Bear,Shrimp ,Salmon.Deer and Moose. A man can get fat on it. :D

Harry Eales
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Well Harry
Just drag your self on over for dinner anytime! It won't be African fare but lot'sa Halibut, Crab Bear,Shrimp ,Salmon.Deer and Moose. A man can get fat on it. :D

Hello Mike,
I'd love to visit for a while, but Alaska is several thousand miles from me.

However, I don't do too badly for wild food over here. I live within spitting distance of the two best Salmon rivers in Britain, the Tyne and the Tweed. I can also catch Brown Trout, Sea Trout, and Rainbow trout. Game birds locally are Pheasant, Grey and Red Partridge, and Red Grouse and many species of wild Duck. English Woodpigeon is challenging shooting and very tasty.

The local seashore gives us Crabs, Lobster, Shrimps and other shellfish such as Winkles, Mussels, Razor Shells, Welks and Cockles. Fish include Cod, Haddock, Pollock, and various flatfish. A local delicacy are Kippers, these are Oak smoked Herring, shlurp. The only wild deer I have locally is Roe Deer which is smaller than your Whitetail, but very tasty nevertheless. There are thousands of them in the massive forests of Northumberland (my home county), Rabbits are plentiful and free, if you have permission to shoot over the land. Farmers are only too willing to say 'Yes'.

The only problem is the cost, e.g. one days Salmon fishing on the Junction Pool on the River Tweed will set you back US$ 2,000.00 with no garantee of a catch.

Driven Grouse, Partridge or Pheasant can cost you several hundred bucks a day if you go on a shooting party. Pigeon shooting is usually free for the asking, as is Duck shooting. Fishing from the sea shore is free as is the taking of shellfish, as is wildfowling on the coast.

You can live pretty cheaply here as long as you have the necessary equipment.

Harry.

AkMike
06-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Harry,
Airfare is about 1200 USD.. This would save you 800! Just think fishing Alaska salmon and saving money at the same time! :D We have 5 kinds of salmon too! Not to forget the halibut ect...

Harry Eales
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Mike,
I'd love to be able to take you up on your very kind offer some time in the future, but I'd have to win the National Lottery first. lol.

Airlines over here are in meltdown reducing their aircraft numbers at a hell of a rate, and those that do fly have fuel surcharges applied to their fares.

Perhaps when things settle down a little fuel wise, I may just be tempted, but I'd like to have my Borchardt finished first, so I could bring it along.

Harry

rak
06-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I was watching a show tonight about the Alaska Rail Road,Man what beautiful countryside.
Made me want to pack up and go to work for the ARR.
Some friends of mine moved up to Anchorage a couple of years back ,I might have to look them up and see about heading north someday

AkMike
06-06-2008, 11:04 AM
The railroad is owned by the state here. Basicly to need to be related to somone get a job. You can see that scenery everywhere around here if you stay long enough. Most Texans I've known leave just as it's getting frosty in the fall. Winter is when the real beauty shows thru!
Tourists tend to leave before the show starts!

Sorry about the size of the second one.. Way small but I had a time reduceing it ..

Mumblypeg
06-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Marbles web site says that their peep tang sights come with mounting screws. I ordered two , one for a 1885 high wall and another for a 1894 Marlin. Neither one came with mounting screws. What up with that? Have any of you had the same thing? I haven't gotten a reply from Marbles yet. By the way, they came from Midway.

Mumblypeg
06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I found out that as of two weeks ago Marbles no longer supplies the mounting screws, they are extra. However, Midway told me they would give them to me anyway as no one told me. Good Old Midway USA!

rak
12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Hello all,
After a sabitical and a few computer replacements I have found my way back

Southern Son
12-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Have you picked up the new Colt yet?

rak
12-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes Picked it up and brought it Home it also has a factory letter that states that it was shipped to
E.C.Meacham Arms Co ,St.Louis Missouri ,Oct 6 1883
Meacham was a supplier to those going West

rak
12-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Paging Harry Eales,Harry is your project finished ?

rak
12-30-2009, 09:59 AM
By the way,I ask every whereI go now,I am trying to identify a soldier in a portrait oil painting I aquired ,the painting is of a US Brigadier General from around 1870 a pic is in my profile so if anyone recognizes him ,let me know
Thanks

Harry Eales
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Paging Harry Eales,Harry is your project finished ?

Rak, you have a PM.

Harry

griaguns
03-11-2010, 02:32 AM
I am looking for barrel bands for my Borchardt military rifle either originals ,copies or something real close.Any help appreciated.Graham

griaguns
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Well after 4 years of looking I found the barrel bands for my Sharps borchardt military rifle serial number 6252.
A friend of mine found the rifle here on Vancouver Island, the forestock had been shortened and the barrel bands tossed along with the nose cap and the front action sling swivel
I found an original forestock quickly through Al Storey at Bourchardt in New Mexico but the barrel bands were another issue.
3 months ago I decided to run a wanted add in the single shot exchange and a fellow in Colarado city contacted me and said he had some rings and the other items for my rifle.
She is now all complete with the peices all fitting perfect.
There are no markings on the stock to give a clue to its life so I guess I will have to try and get in touch with the holder of the records.