PDA

View Full Version : Couple of cannon questions....

41mag
04-18-2016, 07:24 PM
I have an older CVA Ironsides 45cal cannon I picked up as a teen. It has been years since it has been shot but it is still in great shape, just a little dusty from sitting on a shelf.

I used to use the Hornady .440 round balls out of it and still have several blister packs as well as a mold now to pour my own from. I cannot however, for the life of me remember what patches I used. I had two different ones, one thick one that worked great, and one that was too thin.

Does anyone have one and could recommend which patch to use?

On a side note, can I use standard plain base boolits in this thing, just sized, lubed, and shoved down the barrel? I realize they would need to be pure lead which isn't an issue, just curious if they would work OK.

Lastly where is the best place to pick up fuse? Nowhere around me sells this stuff anymore. I figure that a roll would probably last me and the grandkids quite a while. I think I used to pick it up in 20 or 30' lengths but it's been a LONG time since I purchased any.

Thanks, just trying to get it up and running for the grandkids to enjoy.

bedbugbilly
04-18-2016, 07:36 PM
I think that last time I bought fuse - which was many moons ago - I bought a coil of firecracker fuse to use in a small cannon I have. If I remember correctly, I think I purchased it from Dixie Gun Works but I have no idea if they carry it anymore. Another place you might look are ML cannon manufacturers such as South Bend Replicas, etc. that produce reproduction barrels, cannons, etc. One of the problems you may have in locating some is that with all the terrorism, etc. stuff going on, it may be that those who used to carry it may not anymore just because of the hassle.

Could you post some photos of your little boomer? I used to shoot full size Civil War artillery - live fire - 10 pd. Parrots Rifles. Nothing like the old front stuffer big boomers!

mooman76
04-18-2016, 08:25 PM
I'd just use a thin cotton patch, nothing fancy. I see cannon fuse at gun shows when I go.

Earlwb
04-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Try a Google search for "Homemade cannon fuse" or "How to make homemade cannon fuse". You should be able to make some yourself.

mooman76
04-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Search on line. Places out there will ship to you.

quietmike
04-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Several local gun shops carry cannon fuse.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/traditions-cannon-fuse

Rojelio
04-18-2016, 08:57 PM
http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/Fuse-c2.htm

Eddie2002
04-19-2016, 07:14 PM
I've a whole shelf full of small cannons, mostly .50 caliber but have some other calibers also. Also have a CVA .50 caliber cannon field piece from way back. For fuzes you can find them at gun shows or some LGS carry them in 15 or 30 ft rolls. I patch using some worn out cotton bed sheets and bore butter. I use round balls not boolits for projectiles, boolits would work but give more recoil so adjust your load down some to start.
If you just want to make a big bang use a wad of aluminum foil on top of the powder charge instead of shooting a projectile. It's a safer way to shoot a small cannon if all you want is a goodly noise. Have fun, small cannons are a blast.

Skipper
04-19-2016, 09:07 PM
http://www.pyrocreations.com/ignition---fuses

gnoahhh
04-19-2016, 10:20 PM
With my self made .625-bore bronze tube, I merely use naked .610" balls, no patch, 40gr. FFFg. Even with no sights on it, I can get darn close to crab pot buoys 100 yards out from my buddy's dock.

41mag
04-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the tips folks.

I saw some places the other day when I did a quick search for some fuse, but figured I would ask just to see if there was some favorite place out there.

You are correct they are a hoot, just a bit hard to hold still once the fire. At one time in my teens I had a leather strap which I put from under the front and up and over the rear of the barrel just behind the trunnions and then staked that down out in front. This worked very well to hold it in place, but it still did a flip once in a while depending on the elevation.

Went2kck
04-20-2016, 07:40 AM
I think a gun shop where I live has canaon fuse for sale by the foot. Don't know how much though. If I remember correctly their was different kinds. Rate of burn I think.

Eddie2002
04-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Been know to just fill up the fuze hole with powder and hit with a propane torch, just wear a glove and stand back a bit. ;)

thegatman
04-20-2016, 05:05 PM
166661Mine uses .69 ball. I was told not to patch it just put in powder, tight wad and the ball. Yes the foil makes a nice noise and you can increase the load. it is fun. Mine is a large CVA.

gnoahhh
04-20-2016, 08:53 PM
but it still did a flip once in a while depending on the elevation.

I daresay if it has a tendency to flip, you're using too much powder.

firefly1957
04-28-2016, 06:01 PM
I have that same old ironsides cannon have not fired it in years mostly it fired huge charges of powder under paper towel for noise . Not knowing where you are it is hard other then ordering it to tell you where to get fuse i get it here in Michigan at fireworks shops, they are more then one type green is standard others are faster burning speed.
I was quite surprised when i fired round balls out over a lake even 10 grains could send them over half a mile ! I was not trying for accuracy but when loaded and aimed the same they where hitting withing reason (maybe a 50 foot circle).