PDA

View Full Version : How many reloads can I expect?

vrh
04-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I load a Remington 20 Ga. 2 3/4 inch "Gun Club" hull with 7/8 shot. Powered by 16 grains of 'Unique " powder
Was wonder how many times can I epect to reload this hull before it starts going South on me?.

Geezer in NH
04-17-2016, 07:21 PM
3 IMHO 2 better

Teddy (punchie)
04-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Most shot shell will reload about three times. Then you'll start to see crimping that just don't look right, finger that fold will start to tear and get dark. Shells will start to split, but that is not a huge thing like in brass. From what I have heard about Gun Club I would say 4 to 5 reloads. After each shooting check them for signs of wear.

If they look like they are ready to split at top. Whatch them and double check after loading, may find there okay, may need to wax ends to hold shot, maybe time to trash them.

Old AA Winchester I would get about 5 if light target load.

Hogtamer
04-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Several, maybe 5 or 6 with normal loads you stated. Check each time you deprime for splits in hull, particularly around crimp. Hulls range in price from cheap to free so don't press the issue.

6pt-sika
04-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Nothing personal but in the easy to find hull gauges 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 I load nothing but WIN AA or REM STS . For the 10 and 16 I'm a good bit more accommodating . Generally with the economy factory loads after I shoot them I pitch the hulls .

I will say I grabbed a bunch of WIN high brass 12 and 20 gauge hulls when I started loading buckshot just for buckshot . But I have since learned the low brass hulls worked fine .

victorfox
04-17-2016, 08:06 PM
I reload every hull I find at the range and it varies a lot these days. Most are magtech but I'm finding some saga and other brands. I reload them mostly with buckshot and they work fine like others said about 5-6 reloads. After that I cut them and make drawer knobs from the brass and use the tube to keep papers rolled...Another part you should keep an eye is the junction of the metal base to the plastic it IME usually gets pitted (maybe I got bad hulls who knows) like the old time paper hulls.

Petrol & Powder
04-17-2016, 08:18 PM
With 20ga target loads I get at least 5 reloads out of a hull. If I can get it to crimp and cycle through the action it's good enough. Eventually the hulls tear at the mouth or they just will not crimp.

bikerbeans
04-17-2016, 08:55 PM
I roll crimp all my slugs, 10ga, 12ga, 20ga and 24ga, and the primer pockets give out before the case mouth. I can get 8 to 10 reloads on an old style 12ga win. AA hull with a fullbore slug.

BB

M-Tecs
04-17-2016, 09:34 PM
You should get 5 or 6 loadings. In the 70's AA's would go 20 loadings (when the primer pockets of loose you switched to Rem 57 primers). I the late 70's they changed plastic formulas and 2 or 3 was the norm. People complained and they used a longer lasting formula but not as long lasting as the mid 70's era. STS and the current AA's are about the best. My Federal 3 1/'2" tend to have 20% splits on the first firing. In the 90's Remington used a plastic in the "Gun Club" hull that equaled the old AA's.

I have not loaded any of the current Remington 20 Ga. 2 3/4 inch "Gun Club" hulls. With a good plastic formula the primer pockets should be the first area to fail.

jsizemore
04-18-2016, 02:15 PM
I have loaded the discount hulls 5-7 times before they have split. Premium hulls last 4-5. The cheap thinner discount hulls seem to work harden less.

beezapilot
04-21-2016, 01:11 PM
I load pretty much all GunClubs these days- the two piece AA/HS has the "cup" in the bottom that seems to catch a wad now and then. I'm getting 5-6 out of each hull- I test around the mouth of the hull for strength each time I load and pitch the bad ones. Personally, I think they are great hulls to reload- not nearly as durable as the older STS's, but for the availability you can't beat them.