PDA

View Full Version : My New Rossi M92

GunGuy2756
04-17-2016, 07:16 AM
After much reading of what others are saying about Rossi lever action rifles I recently bought my first ever Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with the 16” barrel from Gunbroker. Price with shipping and FFL transfer fees was under $500.00

Gun was advertised as made in 2011 and was possibly a dealers sample since it’s been in the supply chain for 5 years. The carbine came with a full warranty for any mechanical issues but not for any cosmetic defects. There are no cosmetic issues except for a few very minor marks on the buttstock which are not noticeable unless you look very carefully.

I am extremely impressed with the wood to metal fit on this gun. There are no gaps at all and looks like workmanship you would find on a much more expensive gun. There is a slight overlap where the buttstock meets the receiver, just enough to catch your finger nail on. The handguard was assembled with the same care with no gaps at all.
The wood is fairly plain bit shows some nice grain and much nicer compared to some of the new ones I have seen.
The buttplate was nicely fitted on the top and right side but the bottom and left side have some overhang.

The action was a bit ratchety at first but after cycling the action several hundred times it has smoothed up considerably. The hammer and ejectors springs are too heavy in my opinion and lighter springs would smooth things out.

The blueing on the receiver and lever was nicely done. The barrel and mag tube are not as deeply blued but are still quite acceptable.

Being short and light, the gun handles very well and could be carried all day without wearing you down.

Shooting my usual load of a cast 255 FP over 8.5 grains of Unique my chrono showed an average of 1100 fps. Recoil is mild even with the curved steel buttplate with empty cases being ejected over my right shoulder landing about 2’ behind me.
In over 200 rounds fired there were no failures to feed or eject.

I shot a few quick 8 shot groups at 50 yards and averaged under 3” which I thought was good considering the plain sights, short sight radius, and my less than perfect eyesight. It could probably do better but I shoot for enjoyment and don’t take things too seriously.

Overall, I am very pleased with this gun and would recommend it to others without hesitation.

buckwheatpaul
04-17-2016, 07:22 AM
I appreciate the report....glad you like it......been looking at the 38/357 with octagonal barrel....only decision is 20" or 24" bbl. Sounds like you got a keeper.....

GunGuy2756
04-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Glad you like the report. I too have been thinking about a 357 version. I love the look of an octagon barrel but don't care for the weight. I like short barrels but I load my 357's with slower powder like H110 so I will probably go for the 20" round barrel instead of the 16"

roundgun
04-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Rossi 16" levers are handy rifles. I bought one in each in .357, .44, and 45 colt. Now I find myself looking for another 16" 357 but in stainless steel. It just is a looker.

pietro
04-17-2016, 10:32 AM

For those in need, corrective springs & methods are available, courtesy of the pre-eminent Model 1892/92 US gunsmith (he was a factory advisor for Chiappa, when they first started making Model 92's): www.stevesgunz.com

jmort
04-17-2016, 10:40 AM
I have 2 16" .357 Rossi 92s. One was tuned by SASS gunsmith Jim Bowie and the other is in line with SASS gunsmith Nate Kiowa Jones, aka Steve's Gunz. They will work just fine box stock, but tune them and they run real good.

GunGuy2756
04-17-2016, 07:17 PM

For those in need, corrective springs & methods are available, courtesy of the pre-eminent Model 1892/92 US gunsmith (he was a factory advisor for Chiappa, when they first started making Model 92's): www.stevesgunz.com (http://www.stevesgunz.com)

Thanks for that info. I have his website saved in my favorites.

Ural Driver
04-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Got my first M92 last year... .45 Colt, SS, 20" round barrel. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. All indications are that it looks to be a good working gun. I think mine was a just tad over $500 to my hands. Lots o fun shooting the 255gr cowboy loads at water and actually hear them hit with a big ole "thwack"...... sounds sorta like when ya drop a brick into a deep puddle. :redneck:

GunGuy2756
04-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Got my first M92 last year... .45 Colt, SS, 20" round barrel. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. All indications are that it looks to be a good working gun. I think mine was a just tad over $500 to my hands. Lots o fun shooting the 255gr cowboy loads at water and actually hear them hit with a big ole "thwack"...... sounds sorta like when ya drop a brick into a deep puddle. :redneck:

I agree 100%. Mine was much better than expected especially considering the price. The 45 Colt is my favorite pistol cartridge. I sometimes shoot at hinged heavy steel plates that are angled toward the shooter for safety reasons. A 32acp or 380 will not topple the plates. The 9mm will but just barely. The 45 Colt slaps them down like they were hit with a freight train.

Four Fingers of Death
04-18-2016, 07:16 AM
I have two Rossi 92s, a 357 that I bought real cheap as a back up rifle, but it is so good it has seen thousands of rounds of 38s. I trot it out everytime we have a beginner at the range, they love it. Don't give them too much ammo, because this thing gobbles it! Best rifle I have ever bought, it owes me nothing!

The other is a SS 44 Mag which I bought new in 2005 / 6 I din't go much for the sights and it has sat pretty much unused until last weekend, I dug it out and gave it a run. I was a bit hasty previously I think, it went well, although I didn't have a lot of time between range officer duties to do much more than have a plinking session. It needs a bit of attention knocking the corners off a lot sharp (ish) edges, but nothing too serious. The stock looks like Grade A Pallet Wood with a dark (very thin) stain. I might let me head go and do something about this in the future with the bottle of Polyurethane impregnated stock oil that my retired gunsmith mate gave me. It gives a natural oil finish, but the poly seals the stock making it waterproof. I saw some of his rifles and they just look like nicely oiled stocks. I'm not expecting much in the way of figuring in the grain (or lack of it, haha!).

The 357 is the carbine in my avitar.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Cowboy%20Shooting/44af6600.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/4fingermick/media/Cowboy%20Shooting/44af6600.jpg.html)

I don't have a picture of the 44.

Four Fingers of Death
04-18-2016, 08:15 AM
I'd like to know where that woolen bush shirt ended up. I used to live in it in winter and it just went missing one day.

TrashcanDan
04-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Feed that.357 125grs. The twist rate vomits out 158's.

JimB..
04-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Not being argumentative, but my Rossi M92 handles 158's beautifully, at least to 25 yards. Just got it last week and haven't had it outside yet, maybe they'll tumble a little further down range.

jmort
04-18-2016, 08:18 PM
They will stabilize 160 grain bullets. Ranch Dog is using his 190 design in .38 special brass at +P+ to good effect.

runfiverun
04-18-2016, 08:36 PM
my main load is 158's on top of 7 grs of herco.
it'll be 7 grs of BE-86 here shortly.

that 8,5gr load of unique under the 250 in the 45 colt is my main short range load.
it is accurate enough in the lever guns to shoot 1" dots at 30 yds.
we play some of those target games where you shoot little 3/4" dots like race cars or battle ship, or aliens or whatever and we have a real good time.
by we, I mean me, the kids haven't beat me... yet.

Four Fingers of Death
04-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Probably right, I've never benchrested my 357 Rossi shooting 38s, but it has hit everything I ever aimed it at, including the small bonus targets at 50yds that pop up in shoots occasionally. I have an old custom CBE brass mould which is one I designed many moons ago, it is a 125Gn SWC with a curve on the forward part to assist speedloader loading. Cuts clean holes in paper, but smooth to reload. It should work well. I will cast some up as soon as I get rid of some of the thousands of 158Gn boolits and see how they go on the target.

TrashcanDan
04-19-2016, 05:49 AM
I tried some Hornady r.n. 158's I had yesterday, loaded it over 5 gr of Unique (its what I have a lot of, I've read that titegroup also works, about 4 grns of it) in mag cases just to rough in the tang sight. According to the Hornady reloading book and some other reloading websites, it should have gotten me around 1050 f.p.s. out of a 20" octagonal.

At 100 yds, had a tough time landing it on the paper. Windage was all over the place.

Brought it in to 50, not as bad but still not ideal.

Didn't bother with 25 yds.

From what I gather off of various sites regarding Rossi's and the 1 in 30 twist rate (which is also used in the .44 and .45 version, or so I've read) 125gr round nose seems to work very well. Some go even lighter.

I have yet to try 125's, I have 4 or 500 cast, the Lee round nose version, sized and ready for powder coat.

fecmech
04-19-2016, 11:58 AM
I tried some Hornady r.n. 158's I had yesterday,
If you are talking their swagged lead bullets,that's your problem. I bought some of their SWC's a few months ago and they were undersize. The base was .354 and the bullet did not get to .357 till halfway up the bearing surface. Sent them back to Hornady and they replaced them with the same thing. When I called them they said they had been measured with an optical comparater and were in spec. I told them they might want to calibrate their optical device as my Starrett mic said .354. I improved them greatly by putting them in my 450 sizer and smooshing them in the .358 die. They now stay in about 2"@50 yds and I don't get any throat lead. You are right on as to velocity with 5.0/unique

A couple loads that really shine for plinking in the Rossi's are the Lee 125 RNFP and the Lee 121 TC. Using 231 in the 5-5.5 gr range,BE in the 4.5-5.0 range or Power pistol in the 6-6.5 range will give you 1200-1350 fps and pretty close to 3 moa accuracy.

TrashcanDan
04-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Nope, these mic'd out to .358.
Stuck em in a caliper, same.

I had the flaring die set for loads w/ jacketed 158's that i was using for .38 spl loads for a revolver, those mic'd out at .357.

Had to twist the flaring knob a little because the .358's wouldn't walk into the case.

Went over to a few rossi fan club websites, they swear up and down by anything in the 120 to 130 grain range, cast plated or jacketed. I'll give the 125's I cast a whack, but won't be convinced until I try it.

Some of the older rossi's have a better twist to handle the 158's, like the old puma's, but the newer ones all like the lighter grain stuff. Braz-tek / taurus makes em now, not sure why the different tooling, but thats where they're at.

Oddly enough, brought my step-sons henry .22 to zero a scope out after I was done with the .357.
On a scope that was dope'd out to a different rifle (50 ft indoor zero from the looks of it) I was able to pull quarter size groups at 100yds after 8 rounds.

I see your Army member tag, what unit were you with?

I was a storm trooper for the 187th, 101st. 63Bh8. Fun times.

Four Fingers of Death
04-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Probably catering for the cowboy action crowd with their popgun loads. They mostly want speed, speed, in cycling and aren't interested in own range performance as the rifle targets are lucky most days to be 20yards away and are big steel (although I shoot occasionally with a few locals who were at world championship level and their cap gun loads hit dead centre of the target every time). Anything that makes the guns go quicker by reducing recoil, etc is what they are looking for.

Ed in North Texas
04-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Picked up a new 92 24" Octagon bbl in .45 Colt last year. Nice rifle, replaced the front sight and installed one of the Steve's Guns rear aperture replacement for the bolt lock. Nice and tight install after turning the seat 1/4 turn and judicious use of a rat tail file to cut a new, tighter slot.

Already had a old Marlin, so decided on the 24" (and the price was great). I'll admit that I like the Marlin better when it comes to cleaning time. The trade off of the stronger action of the 92 is cleaning from the muzzle or real effort to pull the bolt vs. one screw and pull the bolt on the Marlin. That said, I wouldn't trade off either one.

Four Fingers of Death
04-20-2016, 08:47 AM
I clean from the muzzle, but use a Klean Bore (I think that is the brand) cleaning rod with a tapered brass guide, no problem at all. Bore snakes are another option.

45-70 Chevroner
04-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I agree 100%. Mine was much better than expected especially considering the price. The 45 Colt is my favorite pistol cartridge. I sometimes shoot at hinged heavy steel plates that are angled toward the shooter for safety reasons. A 32acp or 380 will not topple the plates. The 9mm will but just barely. The 45 Colt slaps them down like they were hit with a freight train.

I shoot steel plates a lot. Mine are attached with two lengths of heavy chain about 16" long hanging from a cross member support stand, I have never had a boolit go any where but straight into the dirt right under the taget. These targets are never shot with anything but cast or swaged boolits.

GunGuy2756
04-20-2016, 06:09 PM
I shoot steel plates a lot. Mine are attached with two lengths of heavy chain about 16" long hanging from a cross member support stand, I have never had a boolit go any where but straight into the dirt right under the taget. These targets are never shot with anything but cast or swaged boolits.

The club I shoot at recently removed the falling steel plates. The stand had an angled heavy steel cross member for support. I asked the RO why they removed it and was told that some people with minimal brain power were shooting at the plates at 10'.....yes, 10', hitting the cross member and getting hit with bullet splatter. They decided to remove it and replace it with swinging plates that hang from a support several feet above the plates. They hang from a long thin steel arm attached to the support above.
I don't like the new set up as much but it's better than nothing.

Four Fingers of Death
04-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Most of our (and I assume the same in the States) of our cowbow steel targets are round or square steel plates with a small plate twoards the edge on the back. This has a hole drilled in it and this goes over a tripod made of reo (reinforcing rod, the type that reinforce cement with) with a hook coming off the top of the tripod. This makes the target hang with the top canted towards the shooter. This ensures the ricochets hit the dust at the base of the target.

45-70 Chevroner
04-21-2016, 12:38 AM
The club I shoot at recently removed the falling steel plates. The stand had an angled heavy steel cross member for support. I asked the RO why they removed it and was told that some people with minimal brain power were shooting at the plates at 10'.....yes, 10', hitting the cross member and getting hit with bullet splatter. They decided to remove it and replace it with swinging plates that hang from a support several feet above the plates. They hang from a long thin steel arm attached to the support above.
I don't like the new set up as much but it's better than nothing.

SASS requires a minimum of 21 feet. The cowboy shooting group I shot with would often set up with reset targets a about 16 17 feet. I complained about it to no avail. That same day I got wacked in the for head just as I took my hat off to wipe the sweet off, a small piece about the size off a 17 cal. BB just above the right eye. I did have safety glasses on, I bleed pretty good. No one seemed too worried about it. I finally quit shooting with the club about a month later.

GunGuy2756
04-21-2016, 04:22 AM
SASS requires a minimum of 21 feet. The cowboy shooting group I shot with would often set up with reset targets a about 16 17 feet. I complained about it to no avail. That same day I got wacked in the for head just as I took my hat off to wipe the sweet off, a small piece about the size off a 17 cal. BB just above the right eye. I did have safety glasses on, I bleed pretty good. No one seemed too worried about it. I finally quit shooting with the club about a month later.

The minimum distance for me is 20 yards, any closer and I do not feel comfortable. I've been shooting at these plates for years with lead and jacketed bullets and never had a problem. There are quite a few new shooters that don't seem to understand what can happen when bullets meet steel. I could tell you some horror stories about new, uninformed shooters but I won't go there.

Four Fingers of Death
04-21-2016, 08:52 AM
The speed demons will always try and reel them targets in closer!

dualsport
04-22-2016, 12:24 PM
They will stabilize 160 grain bullets. Ranch Dog is using his 190 design in .38 special brass at +P+ to good effect. Can I get more info on that load? Sounds interesting and I have that mold.