PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat off topic but is this possible?

AbitNutz
04-17-2016, 01:14 AM
This is maybe off topic but the folks here know how a rifle works. So is there a reason this couldn't work.

A Mauser bolt has two opposed locking lugs 180 degrees apart with a non-rotating extractor. Is there any reason why you couldn't have three locking lugs, spaced evenly around the bolt, and still have the same non-rotating extractor?

I know there are many 3-lug bolt action rifles but I've never seen one with a Mauser style non-rotating claw extractor.

I may be wrong but I believe this kind of extractor is required for "controlled round feeding". Is there some obvious mechanical reason that a controlled round feed, 3-lug bolt with a non-rotating claw extractor, wouldn't work?

leftiye
04-17-2016, 03:25 AM
Yup. The extractor must travel forward into the space between the locking abutments of the receiver. In a three lug system there isn't a gap in the desired place. You might could make it work if you raise the extractor 60 degrees to that bolt lug escape gap. Another problem will be the lack of lug races in these short lift bolt actions. The bolt is full sized except the front where the lugs are cut out, and the receiver is just a tube. There is an L shaped slot cut into the bolt that a pin rides in to keep the bolt in the receiver and to make it travel as desired.

aspangler
04-17-2016, 12:40 PM
The Mauser already has three lugs. Two in front and one behind the bolt handle. If you count the bolt handle it has four. It is the strongest action out there and has been copied many times but never improved. The 1903 Speringfeild was so close a copy that we had to pay the Mauser Borthers royalties for a LONG time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

AbitNutz
04-17-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm not quite sure I follow but if you had three lugs spaced radially around the bolt, two of them made exactly like the lug that sits below the extractor, I'm not sure I understand why it wouldn't work. Instead of a 90 degree bolt lift, you only have a 60 degree.

I'm likely a little dense here...

leftiye
04-18-2016, 07:08 AM
In a 3 lug system there is always one lug straight down when the bolt is moving (rearward and back). It is what pushes the new round into the chamber. This leaves the other two lugs (and their openings at 30 degrees above horizontal(right in the upper middle of the ejection port). A mauser style ejector is attached to the bolt and fits over the front of the locking lug. When the bolt is closed the ejector must be in an opening where the lug enters and rotates to lock up. Therefore the only place for such ejector on a three lug bolt is at 30 degrees above level (right in the middle of nothing in the ejection port). Plus the rear of the ejector has no place to be on the rear of a three lug (reads full diameter) bolt. This as there are no lug races on a three lug receiver (or bolt). Even if you mill a slot in the bolt for the mauser style ejector to be in it won't work because the ejector has to rotate on the bolt as the lug moves into the locking position.

'Tain't off topic, this is what it is about.

AbitNutz
04-18-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure I understand why one lug must always be pointed straight down. Why couldn't one lug be always pointed to the right, just like the right lug on a Mauser is? The other two lugs would be pointed at 45 degrees and the ejector slot would be right between the two, exactly where the ejector slot is on a traditional Mauser, directly across from the right bolt lug. Only there's no bolt lug there having to be bisected.

I guess I'm a bit thick because I'm having trouble following...not unusual for me.

Frank46
04-19-2016, 12:30 AM
I've a Sako 75 hunter with the three lug system. Very smooth and has the Sako extractor. Bolt lugs are about 120 degrees apart and has a low bolt lift. Probably one of the most accurate '06 rifles I have. Detachable mag also. But they did offer a regular magazine in that series of rifles. $500 was the price quoted to me at the time. Had a smith shorten the length of pull and install a pachmayer recoil pad. He commented on the quality of the wood. Was impressed. Frank

country gent
04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
On three lug bol;t the lugs are narrower than the 2 lug system this would require a narrower extractor also and might compromise strength and rim integrety. Narrower extractor may pull thru rims or snap over it. WHile it could be done weather the mechanics of it do to needed changes it might be unreliable