PDA

View Full Version : Working bench?

GunsAndHarley
04-16-2016, 09:49 AM
I am building a work bench for my casting. I would like to know about what height you guys find it convinient to work. I was thinking 32 inchs. What so you think.

Will be using botom poor lyman 4-20.

buckwheatpaul
04-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Make it the height that when casting your arms are level with the bottom of the pot, if you have a bottom pour, that way you will have less strain on your arms......

VHoward
04-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Decide whether you want to stand or sit. If you want to stand, stand and bend your arm at the elbow while they are at your side. Have someone measure the distance from the floor to your elbow. Make your bench top is 2 inches lower than that measurement. For sitting, just make sure you are sitting in the chair you are going to use while casting.

OS OK
04-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Just insure that you can see the spigot at a comfortable angle and with comfortable posture.

OS OK

country gent
04-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Theres a few tricks you can use to make the bench adjustabe. Its not hard and works real good. Changing chairs stools or what your sitting on will affect bench hieght. Also age and posture, type of pot used affect this. We made some benches up at work for portable work stations in production like this. Use a 3/4" or 1" black iron pipe for the legs A 20" length tee and a 6" length a flat pipe flange with 4 bolt holes to bolt bench top to. A 2 lengths of pipe equal to length of bench with tees in center of them. 1 length of pipe equal to spacing between width of legs. Assemble this with flanges on one end of long pipe legs a tee on the other and the short leg pipe in the tee The side to side supports with tee in the middle go in the tees of the legs makeing front an back supports the center pipe get screwed to the front and back tees. This makes a solid stand for the top. Fasten top to the flanges . Cut the threaded rods 27" long and 2 nuts glue or peen one on the end of threaded rods. Add the second above it slide in the pipes and you will have a bench that will adjust in hieght from 28" to 36"- 40" tall. if you want a shelf under neath a piece of ply wood can be cut and u bolds used to hold it to the pipe supports between the legs. Now you need to figure out the lowest you may want it -4-6". To raise bench adjust upper nut using 2 wrenches one on bottom foot nut and one to turn upper nut.

Mal Paso
04-16-2016, 08:01 PM
I have a forearm rest across the front of mine. It slopes from just over 31" in front to 32". It doubles as a lead dam if there was a spill. as the deck is 31". The chair is adjustable for height.

OS OK
04-16-2016, 09:33 PM
That's nice Mal Paso…but you 'righties' always put everything in the wrong place for us 'lefties'!

OS OK …:bigsmyl2:

GunsAndHarley
04-16-2016, 09:40 PM
I have a forearm rest across the front of mine. It slopes from just over 31" in front to 32". It doubles as a lead dam if there was a spill. as the deck is 31". The chair is adjustable for height.

Nice! I like the forearm rest, I would not have tought of that.

anotherred
04-16-2016, 10:11 PM
I believe my benches are at 32-34". I did make a stand for the melting pot to sit higher so I don't have to bend over to see the pour better. Best of both worlds.

GunsAndHarley
04-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Working bench is on the way. Lubesizer is in place. Melting-pot too. Gaz burner to cook the lube. Missing the mould and will be casting my first bullit ever [emoji13]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/b1db41ffd5367ec2916c370812f1bd1a.jpg

WFO2
04-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Nice bench man G&N . I'm new to casting to let us know how the first ones turn out .

GunsAndHarley
04-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Nice bench man G&N . I'm new to casting to let us know how the first ones turn out .

As soon as I have my moulds I will post some pics of my result. Hope all turns well.

Whiterabbit
04-20-2016, 12:25 PM
My bench is 36", plus or minus. I stoop occasionally when casting. Slightly higher would be better, 2-4".

I am 6'3 and cast standing.