PDA

View Full Version : H&r .270

jonp
04-15-2016, 08:03 PM
I just picked up an H&R .270 for a decent price. Anyone loading one of these and could point me in the right direction? I've read some of the .270 threads on powder, molds etc but none have a reference to the H&R

Skipper
04-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Check over at GBO
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/?PHPSESSID=9949cd4237b53e30c0ac853536e4d4a1

jonp
04-17-2016, 06:56 AM
Thanks. I found much interesting information including fitting a second hand barrel. What a great site for H&R Handi's.

I'd also like to thank the member who saw my post and dropped by yesterday to personally give me some advice on a place to start with the powder that works for him.

Lonegun1894
04-18-2016, 03:19 AM
A friend had one of these in .30-06 and had a problem with it not wanting to close the action and then mis-firing, and it drove us insane for a while. The solution we found was to make sure he neck-sized only and trimming back to proper lenght, and it behaved VERY well after that. I never had to deal with any problems with mine when all my H&Rs were in rimmed chamberings, and then had the same problem when I picked up a .223. Same process as with the .30-06 fixed all problems and it does great now. It now head-spaces on the shoulder, gets trimmed after firing and before the brass is reloaded, and shoots 1-1.5"@100yds with cast, and .75-1"@100yds with jacketed.

Hamish
04-18-2016, 11:52 AM
:goodpost:

Great piece of advise there, single shot or not!

farmerjim
04-18-2016, 11:55 AM
I find that mine likes the Nosler 150 gr partition with IMR4350.

ipijohn
04-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Mine gets more powder coated lead over 6 grn of Unique for the grand kids than anything else. No resizing required B4 reloading!

DonMountain
04-22-2016, 09:38 PM
A friend had one of these in .30-06 and had a problem with it not wanting to close the action and then mis-firing, and it drove us insane for a while. The solution we found was to make sure he neck-sized only and trimming back to proper lenght, and it behaved VERY well after that. I never had to deal with any problems with mine when all my H&Rs were in rimmed chamberings, and then had the same problem when I picked up a .223. Same process as with the .30-06 fixed all problems and it does great now. It now head-spaces on the shoulder, gets trimmed after firing and before the brass is reloaded, and shoots 1-1.5"@100yds with cast, and .75-1"@100yds with jacketed.

My grandson bought one of these in .243 and it had the same problem. Only additional comments I have is case head separations at reasonable loads eliminated it for reloading and deer hunting. Some of the original WalMart purchased Remington ammo showed case head separations starting from the initial firing. And after the first reload on some clean looking cases the case heads separated. So I refused to reload any more of them for the grandson. It appeared like the rifle was stretching apart when fired with the high pressure 243 loads as the barrel and breachblock separated on firing by several thousands of an inch. So he got rid of it after the second year of deer hunting and got a Remington 760 that works well with reloads.

Goatwhiskers
04-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Don, FWIW, that would have been an easy fix. You could have shimmed the barrel hinge "hook" enough to take the longitudinal slack out, the frame wasn't stretching, it's made of heat treated investment cast steel. If it was me I would fire-form brass for that particular rifle only. On the other hand that barrel wasn't properly fitted from the git-go, can't blame a fella for sending it down the line. GW

historicfirearms
04-26-2016, 02:12 PM
I just saw a nice used one in 30-30 at the local gun shop. It was a cute "handy" little rifle. I may have to go back and get it...