PDA

View Full Version : Why different molds?

sutherpride59
04-15-2016, 03:04 PM
So I'm looking into buying a mold to cast for my 45LC revolver and looking at lee's mold selection I see molds like the 452-252-SWC and the 452-255-RF. RCBS and Lyman have similar molds but the question is why the slightly different shapes? I understand the desire for different shapes and weights for different purposes but these two are so similar what's the point?

I would imagine the semi wad cutter would be a slightly better flying boolit with a large metaplate almost the same size as the RF so why go with the round flat nose at all? They are basically the same weight so I don't really understand I guess the advantage that RF would have over SWC in a revolver. I cant think of any auto gun that you would want to use these in so I couldn't imagine that RF would be for better feeding. I know there's a reason I just don't know what it is.

GWM
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM
The RF would, in theory at least, fit the forcing cone or throat better and give better accuracy, center better when the alignment is slightly off, and be aerodynamicaly more efficient. The SWC would cut cleaner holes in the target.

jimb16
04-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Also, it may depend on the firearm the round is being used in. For example, a swc might not feed well in a lever action or a semi-auto, but would be perfectly fine in a revolver. Also if you are scoring targets, a wadcutter or SWC will leave clean sharp holes that are easy to score while an RN tears a more ragged hole that isn't as easy to score. There are lots of reasons for choices. AND if you are using the bullet for hunting, the type of bullet can make a difference in the blood trail left behind by a wounded animal.

44MAG#1
04-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Let's not forget each company want to ad their own little whimsical differences to their molds so they can say: Buy my molds and you won't go wrong. Buy my molds and you will have a bullet that will shoot like a laser and kill like a direct hit of a bolt of lighting. Plus probably the least reason of all is trying to capture more of the market to make more money. :bigsmyl2:
Which we know isn't true.
Plus some designs do deliver more than others. How much more? Who really knows?

45-70 Chevroner
04-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Maybe it's just in the eye of the beholder. I like Ford trucks you like Dodge trucks he likes Chevy trucks, or maybe it's just that I want to try something different. I don't think any one knows.

HangFireW8
04-15-2016, 04:22 PM
I'll add a few more...

Small changes in crimp groove location can mean the difference between "fits" and "doesn't fit" in short chambers.

Lube carrying capacity can mean the difference between lead fouling at the end of the lever carbine barrel, or big messy goo at the end of the handgun barrel.

reddog81
04-15-2016, 04:36 PM
So the mold makers can sell more molds...
I like SWC for revolvers, but they don't feed well in lever actions.

runfiverun
04-15-2016, 09:31 PM
if given the choice I take the rnfp every single time.
your trying to fit a cylinder into another smaller cylinder through a funnel, why muck it all up with square angles.

country gent
04-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Every manufacturer has thier desighners engineers. SOme manufacturers have restrictions due to machines and tooling. And as you can see above everyone has their idea as to whats best. Some firearms may need a shorter OAL due to cylinder or chamber restrictions and a round flat is shorter than the same weight semiwadcutter. Some shapes are desighned to enhance feeding in semi autos, some to cut clean holes to get the highest scores, SOme have crimp grooves located higher or lower or 2 crimp grooves for 2 diffrent length cases.The above bullet dia is useable in 45 auto,45 auto rim, 45 schofield ( S&W), 45 colt, 454 casuel, and several others all diffrent length cases. But the biggest reeason is if one mould and style bullet in each caliber were all that was made you would buy once and be satisfied, No repeat purchases to test or experiment. Most would only have 3-6 moulds not the 20-50 or more they have. LOL

oldfart1956
04-15-2016, 09:58 PM
if given the choice I take the rnfp every single time.
your trying to fit a cylinder into another smaller cylinder through a funnel, why muck it all up with square angles.This. I fiddled with at last a half-dozen different molds from several manufacturers in various configurations. I should have stopped with the Lee 255gr. r.n.f. and spent the money on powder. This in a Ruger Blackhawk. No other mold was more accurate. Matter of fact none was as accurate. From 25 to 75 yards. The deer I've shot have all been impressed and a few groundhogs still probably couldn't believe I hit them that far away. Lee 90358 all the way. Audie...the Oldfart.

sutherpride59
04-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the good info y'all, the round flat nose does seem slightly better for a revolver. I kind of guessed most of the reasons but it always makes me feel better when I hear it from more experienced casters.

rockshooter
04-16-2016, 01:24 AM
the different molds give me an excuse for acquiring more molds- now i have a reason for acquiring a new cabinet!
Loren