PDA

View Full Version : Gone to the dark side ! 9 mm

tward
04-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Bought a SCCY CPX-2 on Tuesday. It seems like a nice carry gun. I took it to the range and was underwhelmed with my shooting, hit the target about 70% of the time. The 9 mm is quite a handful in a 16 ounce pistol. Tried some cast boolits and was pleaseantl surprised at how well they feed ! Used the Lee 105 gr SWC and the Lee 125 gr rnfp. Now I'm experimenting with ETR-7 to see how low I can go and still get good function. Tim:bigsmyl2:

Tackleberry41
04-15-2016, 07:29 AM
I had one of the SCCY pistols for a bit. The ex brought it home, some customer had given it to her. Decent enough gun, mostly reliable. It fed fine, but had issues with light primer hits on some ammo. It was an early gun so maybe the newer ones dont have the issue. They really should look at a single stack version of the gun.

leftiye
04-15-2016, 07:33 AM
I've got one, plan to shoot it with 90 grain 700x medium loads. If you find that hard recoiling, get a Kel Tec single stack 9mm. It'll remove skin from your palms with Golden Sabers!

tward
04-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Went to the range today and tried some light loads with the 105 and 125 gr Lee boolits. Tried 3.4 gr of ETR-7. No malfunctions of any kind. Tim:bigsmyl2:

376Steyr
04-15-2016, 02:24 PM
The best carry gun is one you're actually willing to carry, so if it functions good, go for it. I have a 9mm compact auto in another brand. It's accuracy leaves much to be desired too, but it is very reliable. I think it may be built into the breed.

dubber123
04-15-2016, 03:46 PM
The short guns can shoot pretty well if you feed them what they like. Assuming it's assembled somewhat correctly that is. My new carry gun is a 19 ounce (empty) .40 with a 3" barrel. Minus the cartridge, figure about 2" of real rifling. It's easily end of tin can accurate at 25 yds., and will stay on my 6" swinger at 50 yds. It's not easy to do, and I certainly can use more practice with it. The good thing is, pistol calibers are pretty cheap to cast and load for, so you really have no excuse ;) Enjoy getting better with your new carry gun.

tward
04-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Just came back from the range, tried 3.0gr and 3.2gr of ETR-7 with the Lee 105 gr SWC and got full function and feed with both loads. Having fun and getting familiar with the SCCY:bigsmyl2:

Don Purcell
04-17-2016, 12:15 PM
OH NO tward! I'm tossing you a line to pull you from the Dark Side please grab ahold! Just kidding. I told a friend of mine I thought the S&W Shield in a 9 m.m. looked interesting, he acted like he was gut shot as I always pack a .44 or .45. Have fun.

dubber123
04-17-2016, 02:49 PM
OH NO tward! I'm tossing you a line to pull you from the Dark Side please grab ahold! Just kidding. I told a friend of mine I thought the S&W Shield in a 9 m.m. looked interesting, he acted like he was gut shot as I always pack a .44 or .45. Have fun.

I am seeing a lot more 9mm Shields sold than the .40 version. I bought the .40, I just like bigger boolits. the 9 is probably just as good with todays ammo, and holds a shot or two more. Mine shoots pretty good, the last 2 standing 25 yd groups were 2.5" and 2-1/8". I am sure it shoots better, but I am pretty happy with it. Still practicing my draw and first shot mostly, the autoloader thing is pretty new to me after carrying a snub .38 for 20 years.

ndnchf
04-17-2016, 06:41 PM
I've had a CPX-2 for about a month now. It's a lot of fun and a lot of firepower in a lightweight package. I had a little trouble with the trigger not resetting. But I did the return spring mod described on the SCCY forum, it now snaps back crisply.

bob208
04-18-2016, 07:27 AM
I carry a browning hi-power in a bianchi in a iwb holster. . to save the extra ounce or two just lose it around the waist it will do you more good.