PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever put a receiver sight on a Mauser?

AbitNutz
04-14-2016, 08:21 PM
Do all the receiver sights available for military Mauser's require cutting the stock? I have a M48 that I would like to try one on as long as the surgery wasn't too extensive. I was looking at an XS Sight until I realized you had to grind away part of the stripper clip guide.

Tedly
04-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Perhaps a MoJo ?

muskeg13
04-14-2016, 09:40 PM
I've installed Redfield Series 70 and Series 80 receiver sights on several of my M98 Mausers. I got these off of ebay for reasonable bids. Lyman still makes a similar sight, the M57 as does Williams in their Foolproof line. It's a relatively easy job, that can be accomplished with hand tools and a steady hand and a sharp #36 drill bit. You'll need to drill and tap 2 holes for the mounting screws and inlet the stock just a bit, not much. Don't fiddle with the stock until you've mounted the sight base and then go very slow. It's easy to remove too much wood and make an otherwise good installation look amateurish. I like the old steel Redfield sights because they are very well made with a less bulky outline than some of the modern sights that may be made of aluminum aloy.

Get a sight that is contoured for your receiver. The Redfield sights may be marked M for Mauser and R for Model 30 Remington's and 1917 Enfields. "S" marked sights for 1903 Springfields may also work. I believe any of these will work on a M98, but I'm not sure that the M48 and M98 are the same. I think the M48 receiver has the same contours, except a slightly shorter overall length. Someone else here may know.

country gent
04-14-2016, 11:05 PM
There used to be one made that mounted to the firing pin cocking piece for mauser Ive read about it heard good and bad about it. One plus always mentioned was when the firing pin was released the eye piece moved away from the face/eye.

Dryball
04-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Cocking piece sights are unique and (I think) neat looking. I have seen and used a couple examples. They are still available if you look. My google-foo is working tonight so here are several pictures: www.google.com/search?q=cocking+piece+peep+sight&espv=2&biw=1024&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGkKrP1o_MAhVCID4KHS0gChwQ_AUIBygC#tbm= isch&q=mauser+cocking+piece+peep+sight+

Frank46
04-15-2016, 12:34 AM
Look for the all steel sights like the M57 SME, springfield mauser and enfield. The newer lymans are aluminum and have been for years. Redfield also made sights for the above rifles, Pacific is no longer in business but still can be found on one of the auction houses. Ebay, gunbroker and so on. Google Gary Fellers has a whole website listing just about any iron sight you could wish for. Frank

Von Gruff
04-15-2016, 02:24 AM
I have a cocking piece aperture sight on my DWM 7x57
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09010.jpg (http://s667.photobucket.com/user/VonGruff/media/7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09010.jpg.html)

On the custom Erfurt 6.5x57 I am building I am mounting the Talley base and using the Talley aperture sight.

AbitNutz
04-15-2016, 05:51 AM
I have seen cocking piece aperture sights before but only in pictures. I think they are the height in coolness and are the ultimate accessory for a custom Mauser. Unfortunately, they don't come up for sale very often and when they do, they're extremely spendy...I could see me finding a magnificent example and then creating a custom Mauser around it.

I'm fairly familiar with drilling and tapping various holes in rifles and I'm not afraid of it. The M48 has a terrific hooded front sight that deserves an aperture sight of some sort. I may take a look at the eBay supply of Lyman 57 genuine steel sights...

justashooter
04-20-2016, 03:23 PM
The Lyman 57 SME is the gold standard of receiver sights. I cannot fathom why people bodger up a decent rifle with that Williams ****. I have an extensive collection of mauser sporters with receiver sights, and if it is not a 57 then it is a vintage Redfield. The sight is fitted to an action that has been removed from the stock, so that you can get it installed in the correct rotation. Use a dead level on the bottom of the action and a plumb on the vertical side of the sight (with the transit removed, of course). The action is then put back into the stock.

If there is interference at this point I prefer to modify the sight by putting it across the belt sander. Shortening up the vertical interior mating face with a bevel so that the exterior surface is unchanged often works. taking a long bevel cut on the interior of the vertical face of the transit is often also required. This combination leaves the sight and stock both apparently unchanged, and works effectively on most sporters I have fitted sights on.

t

Petrol & Powder
04-20-2016, 04:16 PM
I'll be attempting to mount a Lyman 57 on a Mauser 98 action but need to acquire the appropriate 6-48 tap. There used to be a jig to drill the top of the receiver for scope bases, does anyone make one to drill the side of the receiver for a sight?

gnoahhh
04-20-2016, 08:48 PM
The current Lyman 57 is ok, but not as good as their older all-steel ones IMO. I go right the Lyman 48- the Cadillac of receiver sights.

As far as I know, no one makes a jig for drilling receiver sight holes. I clamp the sight base on (or glue it with 5-minute epoxy) where it is going to live, and locate the holes with a center punch ground to precisely fit the screw holes. Remove the sight base (apply heat to break the epoxy bond if that was used), and proceed with the drilling/tapping. Easy peasy, punkin squeezy! The above advice re: leveling and plumbing is good.

I don't bother altering a sight base to wrap around the stock. I just inlet it closely so it appears as though the sight base grew in the stock. At the point you d/t the holes, the gun is irrevocably altered anyway- why not go ahead and closely inlet the base into the wood?

justashooter
04-20-2016, 09:12 PM
I'll be attempting to mount a Lyman 57 on a Mauser 98 action but need to acquire the appropriate 6-48 tap. There used to be a jig to drill the top of the receiver for scope bases, does anyone make one to drill the side of the receiver for a sight?

what you need is two drill bits. use a close fitting bit thru the sight holes to divot the center to a depth of 1/16 inch, then switch to the correct drill size for the 6x48 tap.

look on gunbroker for cheap vintage sights in good shape:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=554010381
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=553873067

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2016, 08:35 AM
As far as I know, no one makes a jig for drilling receiver sight holes. I clamp the sight base on (or glue it with 5-minute epoxy) where it is going to live, and locate the holes with a center punch ground to precisely fit the screw holes. Remove the sight base (apply heat to break the epoxy bond if that was used), and proceed with the drilling/tapping. Easy peasy, punkin squeezy! The above advice re: leveling and plumbing is good.

I don't bother altering a sight base to wrap around the stock. I just inlet it closely so it appears as though the sight base grew in the stock. At the point you d/t the holes, the gun is irrevocably altered anyway- why not go ahead and closely inlet the base into the wood?

That was where I was heading, thanks

ipopum
04-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Petrol & Powder I do have a mount to drill the side of a Mauser for the receiver sight. It has hardened bushings to drill thru and clamps to the bottom of the receiver for a square jig.

Petrol & Powder
04-26-2016, 05:53 PM
THANKS. Unfortunately that news came about 1 day too late. I've already drilled the holes and I'm waiting on the 6-48 tap from Brownells before I proceed.
The good news is the holes appear to be correctly positioned. I used a #36 bit which is too small and I'm waiting for the taps before I enlarge the holes with a #32 or #31 bit. Wanted to have the tap on hand before I went for that final diameter.

Petrol & Powder
05-01-2016, 07:07 PM
OK - Got an old Lyman 57, drilled and tapped the receiver for it and mounted the sight. No problems there.

NOW, I have two issues. 1. It appears the front sight blade is too short. That's not a huge issue. I'll just get a taller front sight.
2. The rear sight may be in the way. If I install a taller front blade I may be able to simply sight over the existing rear blade but if not the rear sight may need to go. I know I can remove the entire rear sight but I'd rather just remove the rear leaf if I can.

Any thoughts?

hc18flyer
05-01-2016, 11:21 PM
I am following your thread. I am considering it for my 24/47 Yugo. I need to decide if a peep will work better with my nearly 60 year old eyes? I have an old Mossberg single shot 22 , with a peep. Flyer

Petrol & Powder
05-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I am following your thread. I am considering it for my 24/47 Yugo. I need to decide if a peep will work better with my nearly 60 year old eyes? I have an old Mossberg single shot 22 , with a peep. Flyer

I'm waiting on a taller front sight blade, I'll let you know.

EDG
05-14-2016, 02:28 PM
The old Lyman 35 mounts in place of the Mauser bolt stop. But they will cost your more than a good rifle.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=318719

pietro
05-14-2016, 03:29 PM
The rear sight may be in the way.

If I install a taller front blade I may be able to simply sight over the existing rear blade but if not the rear sight may need to go.

I know I can remove the entire rear sight but I'd rather just remove the rear leaf if I can.

Any thoughts?

Best Practice indicates that a clean/clear sight picture through the receiver peep sight's aperture is the way to go.

OTOH, removing a military Mauser rear sight involves melting the solder that secures the sleeve-type sight base to the barrel, then sliding the base off - leaving an unfinished soldered (silver color) area, and the groove (normally hidden by the sight base) in the barrel that is/was part of the sight securing method.

The sight's leaf can be removed by drifting out the pivot pin atop the forward end of the sight - but the little "ears" that provided holes for the pivot pin will still protrude upwards.

Some folks grind off the little "ears" & cold-blue the surgery.

Some folks remove the sight base, grind off the little "ears" & re-install the sleeve upside-down - which doesn't work with Mauser rear sight base/sleeves that are skeletonized on the bottom (normally hidden by the stock).

Some folks remove the sight base & simply colorize the silvered area (where the solder was applied) as best they can.

Take your choice - the receiver's already been D/T'd, making it a shooter ILO a possible collectible (IDK the condition)

BTW, since Williams Gun Sight Company makes/sells a W/E-adjustable peep sight, that's a direct replacement for a Mauser's rear military long sight leaf (the WM-96 Peep, $21 @ Brownell's), yet another possibility would be to plug the holes you've drilled & use the WM-96 Peep.(The Lyman 57 can always be sold or used on another rifle)

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_962660096_2.jpg