PDA

View Full Version : Can someone answer this ? Why doesn't Lee . . .

bedbugbilly
04-14-2016, 08:13 PM
My question isn't to start a debate or be critical of Lee . . . I'm just curious.

I have shot a lot of C & B BP pistol over the last 50 years. I primarily shoot .36 cal Navies. After all this time, I finally picked up a Lyman 4 cavity .375 round ball mold for my Navy shooting to speed up the casting. And, this got me to wondering . . . .

A lot of C & B revolvers are purchased and shot . . . both in .36 and .44. There are other common calibers of RB rifles used which take pretty much standard size balls for those calibers.

So my question . . . Lee offers RB molds in double cavity - they offer buckshot molds - and looking at their site, the list a 12 cavity .490 RB mold which would be commonly used as a patched ball in 50 caliber front stuffers.

We are all aware that they make 6 cavity molds in various designs/calibers for cartridge loading. Why is it that they don't produce that same kind of 6 cavity mold for the common size round balls? It seems that there would certainly be a market for them. And, citing a six cavity should not be any different than cutting a double cavity - i.e. would it not be just as simple to cut a six cavity round ball mold as to cut say a six cavity conical design for use in cartridges? Personally, I would have no problem buying a six cavity round ball mold for the calibers I shoot - which would be six or seven different molds.

I haven't contacted Lee to ask and may just send them an inquiry but thought I'd ask on here in case I am missing something on the manufacture of a six cavity round ball? While it may be a "marketing" and "demand" reason, it seems like they would sell.

flyingmonkey35
04-14-2016, 08:17 PM
They will tell you the same thing they told me.

We can make it for you. But we haven't had enough requests for it. For us to mass produce it.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

brassrat
04-14-2016, 08:26 PM
I got a idea:razz:

Casting_40S&W
04-14-2016, 09:06 PM
They do make em, just not catalogued. I ordered a bunch of six cavity round ball molds from Track of The Wolf.
They have all of the popular sizes and are nice to deal with.

Beagle333
04-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Track of the Wolf is the place! I love that site. Get yer round ball molds there.

bedbugbilly
04-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks! I've dealt with T of the W for years but actually never checked there - thanks of the heads up. They have a couple I could use so will get an order out for them in the near future. What's that they say . . "seek and ye shall find?". LOL

Still makes me wonder why they aren't listed and available through more suppliers - unless I'm just looking at the wrong suppliers? At any rate - thanks for the heads up - greatly appreciate it!

Jim