PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Lee Auto Disk

LeadThrower
05-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Anyone have this experience?

When charging a case on the Lee Classic turret and the Auto Disk Pro, occasionally a a case would snag on the expanding die a little, push up on the charging bar enough to deposit some powder, and then there would be enough tension on the charging bar spring to snap the disk back. On the snap-back the disk would pick up more powder and at that point the charging process would proceed as normal. I measured the charges when this happened and some were half a grain overcharged.

When I emptied a case that exhibited this behavior and weighed the powder, I'd send it back into the expanding die. The phenomenon never repeated itself on one of these already-expanded cases, so I know the problem was in expanding the case. I disassembled the expanding die and found the expander to have significant tooling marks along its circumference -- almost like a file! I tried smoothing it a bit with fine sandpaper, but didn't want to go too far.

Have any of you had this happen, or have you looked at your Lee expander and seen the same roughness? If so, what was your fix?

Thanks,
LeadThrower

Ranch Dog
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I use the Auto-Disk but haven't encountered the problem, it must be the tool marks on the die that is causing the hang up. I would continue your work to remove the marks.

Phil A
05-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Anyone have this experience?

Have any of you had this happen, or have you looked at your Lee expander and seen the same roughness? If so, what was your fix?

Thanks,
LeadThrower

My Lee powder thru expanders were not real smooth. I also knocked down the tool marks with very fine sandpaper to avoid any hangup issues. It's O.K. to polish and not remove much metal. - Phil

LeadThrower
05-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the comments, gents.
I kept at it with some 600 paper and the problem is gone.
Happy loading days are back!