PDA

View Full Version : LEE 405 HB (how to lube)

duke76
05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
I have a Lee 405 grain hollow base and am wanting to lube some of these up and try them out of my Sharps, I do not own a lubrisizer so I either pan lube with 50/50 or use Lee Liquid Alox, My question is if I pan lube will the lube get in the base and will that be a problem, same thing with the LLA will the lube get in the hollow base and affect accuracy and possibly contaminate the powder, with regular flat base or gas checked bullets I just wipe the base clean and dont worry about it, but with the hollow base it will be about next to impossible, just looking to get some insight to what you guys are doing, Thanks Todd

jlchucker
05-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I have better luck with that bullet when I fill the hollow base with lube. I use Javalina alox, mostly. That particular bullet works for single shots. The grooves are not located for crimping that is required for Marlin 95's, although they will chamber if you single-load them.

Harry O
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
If you need the hollow-base to expand, filling it with lube will reduce its effectiveness. You can pan lube hollow-base bullets without filling the base, if the bullet is formed correctly and the pan bottom is flat. I have cast many thousands of hollow-base bullets and the first few thousand were pan lubed.

Larry Gibson
05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
The Lee 405 HB is a pretty faithful repica of the M1873 45-70 bullet. The HP is there not to expand ala minie style but to simply control the weight of the bullet given specified external dimensions. This is so stated on theplate drawings in the original manuals. If you notice how stout the skirt is on thatbullet you will realise any charge of powder with BP pressures is not going to expand it. This is one of the reasons for the 500 gr bullet being adopted. It had enough weight that it obturated. The 405 gr bullet does not at BP pressures. Having lube in the base can lead to powder contamination of the loaded ammo.

Larry Gibson

John Boy
05-09-2008, 02:08 PM
The HP is there not to expand ala minie style but to simply control the weight of the bullet given specified external dimensions. This is so stated on the plate drawings in the original manuals.
Larry - Thanks for the historical input about the 405. EVERY discussion eventually says the HB was for sealing in the grooves of the Springfields ... that had varied size groove diameters. And there are many folks that cast - reload and shoot this bullet

Is there a current reproduction of the plate drawing you have? Sure would like a copy for my references

Larry Gibson
05-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Larry - Thanks for the historical input about the 405. EVERY discussion eventually says the HB was for sealing in the grooves of the Springfields ... that had varied size groove diameters. And there are many folks that cast - reload and shoot this bullet

Is there a current reproduction of the plate drawing you have? Sure would like a copy for my references

The obvious thought with any HB is that they are there for exansion into the grooves. Just not so in this case. I believed it also at one ime until it was ponted out to me and researched it. Yes there is a current plate. of both the M1873 and the M81/82 bullet. I will scan and post when I get home, maybe tomorrow. Please post a reminder on Monday if I don't.

Larry Gibson

idahoron
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
My 459-405-HB, only throws 386 grain bullets out of pure lead. Does anyone get a full 405 gr out of one?
I shoot them out of my 45 cal Muzzleloader paper patched. I get great groups with them. This is a picture of two groups. One with paper patch one without.
Those bullets shoot great. These were shot out of my TC Renegade Green mountain .458
Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/11-24-07--45-70.jpg

StrawHat
05-10-2008, 05:54 AM
This is a picture of two groups. One with paper patch one without.
Those bullets shoot great. These were shot out of my TC Renegade Green mountain .458
Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/11-24-07--45-70.jpg

Ron,

You might post this in the paper patched area to inspire others.

Reducing group size that much is a goal many of us strive for.

idahoron
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Those bullets are great bullets because LEE makes a great mould. I wish I knew why mine only throws 386 gr. While my groups at 100 are good. they open up to between 4" and 5" at 200 yards. I have to admit that with only a peep sight I am at about my max for seeing well enough to shoot smaller groups. I am going to see the eye doctor on monday to try to get a tune up. Ron