PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new old fart...

Ellis
04-14-2016, 09:52 AM
This may not be the place to post this , but here goes.
I just now joined your group after finding this forum a few days ago. I was searching the web for a starting load for my 458 socom trying to push a 450 gr, lee boolit without blowing my fingers off, and stumbled across this marvellous site.

I've gotta tell you I have been so glued to the laptop reading hundreds of threads here for the past few days that I just about wore out the internet. The wealth of info here is amazing.

I've been casting since the late '70s, and thanks to you guys, yesterday after work I came home and tore down my lube sizer press , and cleaned all the damn lube out of it for the last time. Then I grabbed a coffee can full of 9mm I had cast a few days ago, went out to the shop and gave them a nice little coat of HF red with my cheap little PC gun. About an hour later I was back in my new gun room pushing them through my nice clean sizing die, no trying to remember which way the pressure handle needs to turn, no sticky ooze on the lower punch trying to grab the boolit, and they came out too pretty to shoot...

So here is yet another pic of some PC success to add to the numerous ones in this forum.

This great idea you guys have come up with will be great for identifying range fodder from hot loads for hunting, there is a myriad of colors to choose from out there.

So today I will be coating a few hundred .223's and .45's, then on to my heavy 458's in some sinister hue...

My concern now is finding some poor soul to foist off a lot of nasty containers of freshly purchased lube on. Because thanks to the geniuses here I'll never lube again. So to conclude this rambling first post, Thanks to everyone here who has posted and answered so many great questions over the years. You guys are a wealth of info, and they should print the url of this site on every mold box with instructions to visit this site before casting.

Hope to get a chance to talk with everyone here in the future.

Ellis

GRUMPA
04-14-2016, 10:07 AM
As far as finding some poor schmuck to unload your lube on I would view things in a different manner.

You have 2 things in your favor right from the get-go, 1 you have the knowledge on how to use the lube, if you for some reason can't obtain the powder coat, or equipment fails, you have an alternative means to lube.

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Scharfschuetze
04-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Welcome aboard Ellis! Glad you found the place and we look forward to hearing from you often.

Ellis
04-14-2016, 10:38 AM
As far as finding some poor schmuck to unload your lube on I would view things in a different manner.

You have 2 things in your favor right from the get-go, 1 you have the knowledge on how to use the lube, if you for some reason can't obtain the powder coat, or equipment fails, you have an alternative means to lube.

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Hi Grumpa
I of course was just stating that for effect, I can't throw anything out, never know when you may need it. .
Suprisingly I have used lube to rub the channel that old wooden window frames slide up and down in, works wonders and lasts for several years. Just a tip for those who have a house built in the 30s.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Welcome aboard. They say "birds of a feather flock together", so if you're an old fart you'll find a lot of us here. :D

runfiverun
04-14-2016, 12:11 PM
did you know you can still lube those painted up hussies?
sometimes it makes a huge difference.

Texantothecore
04-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Howdy Ellis. Welcome to the board. Hope to see your posts frequently.

We're glad you dropped by for a chat.