PDA

View Full Version : .32 S&W dies

unclebill
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
i recently aquired a set of dillon .32 S&W dies and dont know a thing about this caliber.
is it the same as .32 long?
.32 police?
as you can see i really dont know anything about this.
any information would be greatly appreciated!
bill

floodgate
05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
billhedges:

Those .32's can be confusing. The .32 S&W Long was a longer version of the original .32 S&W; Colt copied the S&W Long case, with a different bullet profile and called it the ".32 New Police". But beware of the .32 Colt Short and Long; they are different cartridges, originally with heel-crimp bullets (like the .22 LR), and smaller case diameters - they would swell and possibly split in a .32 S&W S or L - or .32 NP - revolver chamber. The .32 S&W is still used for some international handgun competitions, but in the "Long" persuasion.

floodgate

unclebill
05-08-2008, 10:50 PM
billhedges:

Those .32's can be confusing. The .32 S&W Long was a longer version of the original .32 S&W; Colt copied the S&W Long case, with a different bullet profile and called it the ".32 New Police". But beware of the .32 Colt Short and Long; they are different cartridges, originally with heel-crimp bullets (like the .22 LR), and smaller case diameters - they would swell and possibly split in a .32 S&W S or L - or .32 NP - revolver chamber. The .32 S&W is still used for some international handgun competitions, but in the "Long" persuasion.

floodgate

your right,
that IS confusing.
i had to read that three times!

floodgate
05-08-2008, 11:29 PM
billhedges:

Sorry; I spent the afternoon helping mix and pour about one cu. yd. of cement slab from ready-mix (40 ea., 80-lb sacks, and me at 77 yrs.old) - so ding-y you could probably hear the chimes at your end of the wire. I hope it made some sense, anyway. You COULD load .32 S&W Long or Colt New Police with the .32 S&W dies, if you could settle for less than full-length sizing; which, I think, was your real question.

Fg

unclebill
05-08-2008, 11:35 PM
i was just curious about them.
i dont own a firearm in this caliber and dont plan to.
maybe i will offer them on the for sale or trade forum?
i ended up with dies in 6 or 7 calibers that i don't have any use for.
i better wait a few months until i have a ton of posts before i try and sell anything here.
i have seen peoples integrity vaguely questioned if they aren't longtime members and start using the for sale or trade forum.

TAWILDCATT
05-09-2008, 09:07 PM
check to see if they are short or long as they usually are for the 32S&W long.you can load 32 acp also.I have a set and juat loade all my longs and am on the short case now after i WILL LOAD ACP AS I HAVE A COLT AND SAVAGE TO SHOOT THEM IN.:coffee:[smilie=1: