PDA

View Full Version : PC puddles

buggybuilder
04-13-2016, 01:52 PM
I have not PC'd too much yet. I do have kind of a problem. It makes no difference if I use paper or foil when I PC, I get a flat puddle of powder coat on the base of the bullet after baking. It does not always "size away" and makes kind of a sharp flat puddle on the base of my bullet. I do not use HF powder. I have gotten some PC from a local firm that PC's.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.

bstone5
04-13-2016, 01:58 PM
The flashing some times is there on the coated bullets. I powder coat with a gun and put screen wire on top of the foil this keeps the flashing off of the base of the bullets.

If I do not have screen wire then I use a small electric vibrating sander to clean up the base of the bullsets before I run them thru the sizing die.

jcren
04-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Too much powder. Tap or blow off excess so it won't run down bullet.

BILLYBOB44
04-13-2016, 03:06 PM
This SMALL amount of "Flashing" goes right inside of the case. Does not show/shave off, and works just fine..Bill.

Wreck-n-Crew
04-13-2016, 06:20 PM
I've heard different powders run more during bake.

Plus there are a lot of different types of powder coat which adds to my confusion. I a guy at Sherwin Williams told me there 6 different kinds that they make for different applications made of different formulas and materials.

Up until then i thought they were all polymer based. But i guess polyester is not polymer based from what he said?

Thanks to my curiosity i am asking questions i have since put to bed. Mainly since i have chosen to use HF only. After all its cheap, works, easy to find the same day and color choices didn't matter to me.

I need to stay away from these threads....they are going to have me chasing bunny rabbits into little holes and I'm afraid ill end up in wonderland! Lol.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

jcren
04-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Give smoke4320 (vendor here) a try for powder. All of his powders are tested for our application and application methods. His gloss black and clear are slick as snot on ice and if you can't get results with his stuff, you aren't trying.

bangerjim
04-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Like said....WAAAAAAAAAAY too much powder!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tap your hemos (best) or whatever you use on the side of your bowl to knock off the excess powder B4 plcing on raks and baking.

Problem solved.

lablover
04-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Tap the bullets to get off extra PC then I wipe the bottom to get off the PC from the bottom and my flashing/puddles went away. When you have too much on the bottom and set it on your wax paper or foil or whatever the slightest move from original position will give you the flashing

bangerjim
04-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Wax paper?????????????????????

rsrocket1
04-14-2016, 04:09 PM
I use a piece of parchment paper inside a pie tin to tap the bullets before placing them on the baking tray. The necessary powder is stuck to the bullet by static electricity and will not come off when tapped. After a while I just empty the powder from the pie tin back into the #5 tub.

Where I live, the air is so dry that I simply use Nitrile gloves dusted with the powder to pick, tap and place the bullets.
Much easier than hemostats, pliers or any other tool (other than the 'tool' doing the powder coating).

PBaholic
04-20-2016, 05:58 PM
I dump mine in a mesh screen pan, and the excess PC drops off before it makes it to the oven.

lablover
04-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Wax paper?????????????????????

I meant Parchment paper...