PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me if I am buying the right mold. (RD) 432-265-RF 5 cavity GC

Bob65
04-13-2016, 01:54 AM
Hi guys,

I am relatively new to casting so I need some help with selecting the right mold.

I have used the search function and it gives so much info that it is hard to find the answers I am looking for.

I have cast for my .577 Snider and now I would like to cast for my '94 Marlin 44 mag. I have slugged the bore at close enough to .432 (10.97 mm), and now I would like to buy a mold. I have heard good reports about the Ranch Dog molds and I would like to know peoples experiences, good or bad, with the one I am looking at.

432-265-RF 5 cavity GC

So, what do you think? Accuracy issues? Feeding issues?

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bob.

runfiverun
04-13-2016, 09:41 AM
the ranch dog molds were designed around the marlin rifles and their peculiar idea of a throat.
your gonna need 433 and a little bit of hardness to get down that barrel.
the gas check will for sure help things go easier, but may or may not be needed.

if I were pushing things near the top end and using the rifle to hunt with mostly then I'd say you have a good choice as far as the mold goes.
if it was just for plinking and shooting pop cans a couple of times a year I'd forgo the gas check and maybe drop the weight 20-40 grains.

44man
04-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Nothing you can do. The RD is a super boolit but the Marlin has a stupid 1 in 38" twist rate. I don't care what you do for years and years. You have a 50 yard and under gun. Beautiful little gun ruined with the Greenhill formula. You would do better with round balls.

mdi
04-13-2016, 12:50 PM
I have a Rossi Puma in .44 Mag (.432" groove, 1-30 twist). I searched and tried several molds and stumbled on Ranch Dog's 265 gr RNFP w/gas check. It drops bullets at .433"+ depending on alloy and shoots pretty accurate. I'n no the worlds greatest shot but with open sights I've shot 3"-4" groups at 60 yds. (I know that's just fair, but with 70 year old eyes and bad knees, that's minute of deer for me)...

Bob65
04-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys,

This gun is definitely used for hunting, I don't expect super accuracy from it. What we call "minute of pig" is good enough.

Over here we don't have as many molds to choose from, hard to find one .432 like the RD.

By the time I pay for shipping, and with the unfavorable exchange rate, this won't be cheap. I don't mind paying for a good mold though. I would just hate to pay for something that wouldn't be any good.

Cheers,
Bob.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b503/bob14hilux/DSCN4582_zpspuplgigx.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/bob14hilux/media/DSCN4582_zpspuplgigx.jpg.html)

44man
04-14-2016, 08:55 AM
You will be OK if ranges are kept short. I have the RD mold and it did fine to 50 yards. I sold the Marlin and use the RD in my SBH, it will hold 3/4" at 50 and 1-1/4" at 100. It is a fine boolit, just use a good lube. Mine shoots best from the revolver with 22 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer.
Too bad you have a supply and expense problem down under.