PDA

View Full Version : Can't Judge A Book By The Cover or Rifle BY The Stock!

oldracer
04-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Or as I was going to title this.....Thanks Emery! I bought a 45 caliber fast twist Green Mtn barrel from a member here and while talking on the phone he mentioned that he had a 50 caliber chunk gun with very nice lock and trigger and a very heavy stainless steel barrel made by Douglas XX brand. He mentioned the stock was NOT pretty and looked like it had been used for several guns and the barrel had scope mounts? My mentor said it was well worth what he was asking so get it, shoot it and if it was a shooter then put a fancy walnut stock on it. So I did and today went to the range and yes indeed it does shoot!!!! The target is a home made shoot-n-see and was shot at 100 yards. Looks like I need to find a Unertl or Lyman target scope as I was using a very cheap sight to see how it worked and the gun appears to be a SHOOTER!

If anyone knows who the original builder was please let me know. I plan to use the leather cheek rest on the fancy walnut stock when I get around to making one as that is very unusual.

FrontierMuzzleloading
04-13-2016, 04:03 AM
home made throw together IMO.