PDA

View Full Version : NRA canceled my insurance

DLCTEX
04-12-2016, 09:45 PM
I received a check today for balance return on canceled insurance. I called to see what was up and was told they canceled my accidental death insurance due to my age. Am I more likely to die accidentally now that I am 70?

mtnman31
04-12-2016, 10:05 PM
They checked you out and realized you were a member of the motley bunch who frequented this site. They then reasoned that you likely have elevated lead levels were more likely to drown because the excess lead weight in your body meant you were no longer bouyant in water.

Or more likely, they figured it was in their best financial interests to drop you. Legal age discrimination...

salpal48
04-12-2016, 10:09 PM
No they thought You were going to shoot Your self and Try to Hide It

bubba.50
04-12-2016, 10:16 PM
like everyone else, they're lookin' for a younger demographic.

Baja_Traveler
04-12-2016, 10:47 PM
I don't know - I don't think that younger demographic who blew his leg off shooting at a lawnmower would have been a safer bet...

bedbugbilly
04-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Their Actuaries have figured out that they loose money on certain age groups. I have always found it odd that a person pays insurance premiums for years - whether it be fire, auto or whatever . . . and they when you have to file a claim, the adjuster/company hedges on wanting to pay. Times get rough, you have to work fewer hours due to bad economy or you have to make wage concessions . . . the insurance companies never do . . . their premiums rise. As far as I'm concerned, most insurance companies are about as loyal to their customers as a "hooker" would be to her "john" . . . sorry for the low class comparison but I think it's pretty appropriate. Regulations? LOL Part of your premium goes to pay their lobbyists so they can do such things as drop a good customer.

Take a look at what your premium was for the year and what your refund was - then amortize it out over 365 days and see if the refund is "fair" . . . I'm guessing the refund will fall short as they will have deducted "service charges" for processing and making the refund on the policy that they cancelled . . not you.

And, the next time a NRA representative gives you a phone call looking for another donation, I'd certainly tell them about this . . . then ask them if since you have turned 70, should you consider that the NRA no longer needs your support? My guess is that the NRA gets a cut of the action on the insurance for endorsing it. And before someone fries me for the comment about the NRA reps calling for donations . . . I got one just this past Sunday morning . . . at 6 a.m. I won't say what my reply was after the call woke me up . . .

BUCKEYE BANDIT
04-13-2016, 12:04 PM
DLCTEX,

I'll be happy just to make another 5 yrs. (70)[smilie=p:. But I'm working on the kids inheritance in precious metals (of sorts).

gwpercle
04-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Insurance companies know how to stack the deck , shuffle the cards and deal a loosing hand.....you are not going to win that game if they can help it.

Blackwater
04-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Insurance is one of our most highly regulated industries. Regs vary by state, according to which state the home office is centered in. Don't know if there are regs in place that govern what happened, but I know it's possible. As far as liklihood of an accident, I think it's the young who are most liable to be in accidents, followed by the older ones, some of whom have lost some of their ability to anticipate and avoid dangers. That's the actuarial statistics of it, anyway, to the best of my memory. Nothing to be concerned about, really. And if you shop around, you can probably find a cheaper replacement, and FWIW, if anything, I've never believed in accidental death insurance, except maybe in smaller amounts in our early adult years, just in case we die in an auto wreck or other type accident, and acrue huge medical bills that we likely can't pay if we're young and dumb and reckless. That's the only time I think accidental ins. has a valid place. Otherwise, I'd go with permanent ins., and it'd definitely be term life. That gets higher as we age, but in reality, ALL ins. gets higher as we age. It's the "investment" part that remains level, so in the early years, you're overpaying so you won't have to later on in life. It's a shell game, and the ins. salesmen have been playing it well enough to make it sing, dance and whistle Dixie all at the same time! But it's all a dog and pony show. The only kind of REAL insurance is TERM insurance, and you can get it that stays level for 5 or 10 years, or that goes up every year. I like the kind that goes up every year because you're not required to overpay at any time, but others disagree, and level term can be MUCH cheaper than you'd think, especially if it's only for like 5 years.

Geezer in NH
04-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Ihave never bought anything from the NRA. I was a life member in 1973. I had to call 2 years ago because they stopped sending the Rifleman. Must have thought I was dead or did not like all my mail after the sell out of NFA owners in the 80's

DLCTEX
04-13-2016, 09:35 PM
I had to call them because they stopped sending American Hunter after renewing for three years. My wife did it for me and I thought she had found a cheaper option if you did not take the magazine. After a year I finally asked her and she said no. I called and found
I was supposed to be getting it.

w5pv
04-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Sounds like something that Granny(my wife) would do.