PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out RCBS A5 4x4 progressive press.

greenwart
04-12-2016, 03:38 PM
I picked up an A5 press at a garage sale and am finally getting around to set it up. It came with a 9mm shell plate #16 and I have picked up shell plates #2,3,6. The shell plates come with 3 buttons which are not threaded. What are they for? The little buttons are stamped rcbs #6 for the #6 shell plate. Also how do the drop tubes work.

Since the press was missing a few parts the RCBS parts department were extremely helpful.

My plan is to set it up for 38 special or 357.

dudel
04-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Did you check the RCBS site, and get the manual?

greenwart
04-13-2016, 04:12 AM
I spoke with RCBS. the buttons are for the 4x4 auto. Mine is a manual so they have adjustable detents instead of the included retaining buttons . I did read the back of the shell plate holders which I had bought and found out that I needed a new ram shoulder bolt with they gladly sent. I was planning on putting a little dandy powder measure. I have both 4x4 manuals though the pictures are so grainy the don't provide much help in figuring out how to set up and adjust. The primer assembly is complete except for the feed tubes, and seems to function correctly. Can you make your own feed tubes out of 5/16 brake line? Midsouth sells the APF tubes at $11 a pop. I saw there was another thread on APF tubes so I will read that next.

troyboy
04-13-2016, 06:05 PM
The tubes could be made,but the plastic piece on the end for picking up the primers would be a challange. For the money you are better of buying the proper tubes.