PDA

View Full Version : Built and ugly table for stand-up casting - best height?

ghh3rd
04-11-2016, 08:13 PM
I don't have a garage to cast in, and had to build something to cast on outside. I decided to go frugal, but wanted it to be sturdy. I went 'shopping' at my favorite dump and found two old chairs. I drilled about 50+ pocket joints all over the place, and used long screws to tighten everything up, and they became very rigid.

I bolted the chairs together, found some counter top at a construction dumpster next to my Dr.'s office, screwed it on and viola, a sturdy table that I trust to hold hot lead (I climbed on it to test it).

The table top seems like it might be a good height at 43", but I wondered what height you may have found best for stand-up casting.

Randy

ps: yeah, yeah, I know that I have some serious weeds out there, but I've been busy reloading :-)

Big Dangle
04-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Looking good! I'd look into getting a thick mat like what's in gyms to stand on. I ended up redoing my "casting furniture" where I could sit down because standing so long would kill my back. As far as the height would depend on how tall you are, I had mine where I wasn't bent over to far plus I wanted it where my man parts weren't close to the pot (Murphy's Law things). But like everything casting after some trial and error you'll get it perfect.

OS OK
04-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Well…what's wrong with that, you sound proud of your scrounging and your assembly work…looks like a place to start and proceed from there. Nothing too much ends up the way one envisions at first…hell, that's part of the fun of it all.
I'm with you in that I surely like making something out of something else…there's a lot of satisfaction in that alone…good work.
Only thing…find a BBQ cover to put over it or wrap it up in a tarp and your good to go.

Welcome to the insanity…OS OK

"Dumpster diving…ain't that a kick in the pants? Love it!"

salpal48
04-11-2016, 09:02 PM
working in The printing business all my Life . The best working Height is between 40-42 " from the Floor. This puts less strain on your back and your Feet. Both my loading Benches are 42". . I never Load sitting Down. .
Works good for me
Sal

runfiverun
04-11-2016, 09:19 PM
my loading benches are 42" also but my casting bench is 48" and I raised my pot a little more with some 1" boards.
high enough to see the stream well but low enough to look in the pot to clean it.

243winxb
04-11-2016, 09:49 PM
44 1/2" Old clothing drier sitting on cement blocks. Didnt have to pay to have it taken away. Store stuff inside.

dverna
04-11-2016, 10:53 PM
I would cut the legs that are sticking up over the surface flush to the top

I agree with you...on it being ugly...but so what?

Andy
04-11-2016, 11:22 PM
I built a bench riser for my bottom-pour pot that essentially creates about a 36" high table for it, I wanted to go about 6" higher but didn't feel great about having the 20lb of molten lead that high off my bench or that close to my face so left it lower to be more stable on the bench. So, I think your 43" is right in the sweet spot if you have a bottom pour.

I am a woodworker and size my general purpose shop bench height at wrist height when standing, this is good for general work but for reloading I often end up wishing half my bench was 6-12" higher for various reasons, so you might find this is nice for other stuff as well. For example I wish I could have my powder scale up high like this so so I'm not always stooping over to read it.

By the way nice work making a strong thing for no cost in materials. If you find it ever starts wobbling put some ply or diagonal bracing in it across the various square openings you have and you'll keep it solid, just do so before it starts wiggling much.

ghh3rd
04-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Yeah, was going to cut those legs off the top, but just read runfiverun's post

[but my casting bench is 48" and I raised my pot a little more with some 1" boards. /high enough to see the stream well but low enough to look in the pot to clean it.

I've always had to bend down a bit to see the spout so I can aim. The legs on top of my chair-table are at 48" - that might just be the ticket.

Mk42gunner
04-12-2016, 12:13 AM
In one of Dean Grinnell's ABC's of Reloading, he wrote of how to determine bench height. I think I quoted it several years ago, maybe a search would turn it up???

Basically, for a normal work bench, hold your forearm out horizontal and measure from it to the floor. the perfect height for someone 5'7" is going to be shorter than if he is 6'4". Casting benches can be a bit different, if you really want to see the spout or just kind of guess at where it is.

One addition you might think about is something on the bottom to widen the foot print of your table. It will help keep it from tipping if you put a lot of weight on one side.

I am going to have to go the other way; my back does not let be stand for very long anymore, so I am going to have to build a sit down casting bench (and get a leather apron and a chair with working casters).

Robert

NavyVet1959
04-12-2016, 05:48 AM
The best height is going to depend upon your height and your casting pot. If you are using a bottom pour casting pot, you will want it higher than if you are ladle pouring from that same pot. When using a bottom pour pot, it's nice to have the spout up high enough that you can see the lead stream hitting the mold. Having to bend over to see gets old pretty quickly.

Wayne Smith
04-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Different heights for different jobs, too. For a woodworking bench I use wrist height, basically the top of my wrists when I am standing. This works for ladle casting when standing because the heater and the pot both add height. For bottom pour it depends on your chair height, I would guess. I don't do that.

Pine Baron
04-12-2016, 08:02 AM
In one of Dean Grinnell's ABC's of Reloading, he wrote of how to determine bench height. I think I quoted it several years ago, maybe a search would turn it up???

Basically, for a normal work bench, hold your forearm out horizontal and measure from it to the floor. the perfect height for someone 5'7" is going to be shorter than if he is 6'4". Casting benches can be a bit different, if you really want to see the spout or just kind of guess at where it is.

One addition you might think about is something on the bottom to widen the foot print of your table. It will help keep it from tipping if you put a lot of weight on one side.

I am going to have to go the other way; my back does not let be stand for very long anymore, so I am going to have to build a sit down casting bench (and get a leather apron and a chair with working casters).

Robert

I need to sit also and +1 on the apron.

dudel
04-12-2016, 12:28 PM
I would cut the legs that are sticking up over the surface flush to the top

I agree with you...on it being ugly...but so what?

Yep, and maybe add a rail around the table to contain things.

Maybe add/move a shelf in a lower position. Put heavy things there to lower the COG.

Ugly? I shoot Glocks.

Walter Laich
04-12-2016, 12:56 PM
I sit because of my back (seeing a pattern here)

I built a stand under my pot so I can easily see the spout and the pour without having to bend over. I can stand up to deal with adding lead to pot and other chores (fluxing, cleaning garbage out of it, etc)

I actually think your bench looks great--I always get a kick out of reusing stuff but then I'm a child of a child of the Depression (eat all your food, there are kids in Europe who are starving)

jimb16
04-12-2016, 08:33 PM
I built mine at elbow height. I keep a bar stool nearby so that if I get tired of standing, I have a chair of the correct height handy for sitting while I work. Don't ask what elbow height is. measure your own.

Seeker
04-12-2016, 08:39 PM
That ought to work, nice job. You did a great job recycling also.

Golfswithwolves
04-12-2016, 09:21 PM
"Antiques Roadshow" just valued a pair of chairs like that @ a half million dollars.

ghh3rd
04-13-2016, 11:41 AM
:groner:

45-70 Chevroner
04-13-2016, 12:24 PM
I started out sitting while casting and have done so for over 40 years, I'm old now with bad knees bad feet so I guess I'm stuck with sitting. Good luck and have fun. Great table though.

mdi
04-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Depends on how you plan to cast. Ladle casting would be OK at waist height but for a bottom pour, you would need to see the pot spout and mold so I would think the table would need to be higher. I sit while casting so I get a good view of the pot's spout while filling a mold...

fredj338
04-13-2016, 07:53 PM
my loading benches are 42" also but my casting bench is 48" and I raised my pot a little more with some 1" boards.
high enough to see the stream well but low enough to look in the pot to clean it.
Agree, it is going to be user specific, depends on how tall you are. I like to see the spout, so built a raised box to put my Lyman & Magma on so I don't have to bend over far.

NavyVet1959
04-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Of course, it is possible to build a casting table with adjustable shelves where you have pins and holes along the sides to allow you to adjust it on an inch by inch basis.

mdi
04-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Of course, it is possible to build a casting table with adjustable shelves where you have pins and holes along the sides to allow you to adjust it on an inch by inch basis.

Now that's just too goll darn logical! :bigsmyl2:

NavyVet1959
04-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Built and ugly table for stand-up casting

Ugly? Perfect for casting for a Glock then... :)

paul edward
04-15-2016, 05:57 AM
I wish I could have my powder scale up high like this so so I'm not always stooping over to read it.

Build a small table for your loading bench so you can mount the powder measure at a height that suits you. Include a shelf to hold a few lead ingots to keep it stable. I made one from scrap plywood as there was no decent place for the measure on my bench.

Shiloh
04-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Are you the only one using it?? Whatever is comfortable for you sounds good.
My Sears Workstation is perfect for me.

Shiloh

ghh3rd
04-17-2016, 05:30 PM
I stood up for a while today and cast 36 lbs of 200gr 452460's. I found that the mold likes me to aim precisely through the sprue plate, and I found myself having to lean down for accuracy. Over all it wasn't bad though. I think another 6" higher would improve it for this type of casting.

NavyVet1959
04-17-2016, 07:51 PM
I stood up for a while today and cast 36 lbs of 200gr 452460's. I found that the mold likes me to aim precisely through the sprue plate, and I found myself having to lean down for accuracy. Over all it wasn't bad though. I think another 6" higher would improve it for this type of casting.

Cinder blocks?

ghh3rd
04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
I still have those chair legs sticking up that are 6" tall -- I'll probably just try fastening to those. It really wasn't bad standing while casting... felt like I could get away from it fast if needed.

I do need to put an edge around the table top so I don't have to sweep up all of those little bits of lead from the porch later.

NavyVet1959
04-17-2016, 09:52 PM
I still have those chair legs sticking up that are 6" tall -- I'll probably just try fastening to those. It really wasn't bad standing while casting... felt like I could get away from it fast if needed.

I do need to put an edge around the table top so I don't have to sweep up all of those little bits of lead from the porch later.

Also, an edge acts to hold the molten lead on the table instead of letting it flow into your lap in case you have a spill while seated. Some of us just use a metal tray instead.

04-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Looks sturdy. I'm sure it's not problem with the weight. My concern is a top heavy table. With all the lead (hot & cold) that will be at the top, I'd secure a cross brace to some fixed position from high on the work bench / casting table so it won't tip over by an inadvertent bump.

mexicanjoe
04-17-2016, 11:31 PM
44 1/2" Old clothing drier sitting on cement blocks. Didnt have to pay to have it taken away. Store stuff inside.
I got to agree with you!, I did a lot of casting using an old drier... You can use sheet metal screws to build attachments, and secure your pot! Salvage perfection at its finest!!!!,

TXGunNut
04-18-2016, 01:37 AM
My casting/work bench is 40" but I'm 6'3" most days. When standing it's 2" below my elbow, on a stool it's level with my elbow.