PDA

View Full Version : interesting Shotgun

Sasquatch-1
04-11-2016, 06:15 AM
This past week I saw a neat little single shot bolt action shotgun. It was a Winchester M36 in 9mm rimfire shotgun cart. No questions or anything, just thought it was neat.

mozeppa
04-11-2016, 09:25 AM
i have one 9mm rimfire un-spent shotgun shell in my collection!

looks like it's no bigger than a red lucky strike cigarette.

notenoughguns
04-11-2016, 06:35 PM
I have a couple 310 Remingtons made by CBC . They fire a 310 skeet rimfire ( a long 32 rimfire shot cart .

pietro
04-11-2016, 07:26 PM

They're usually referred to as "garden guns".

Mk42gunner
04-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Same basic John Browning design used in a lot of Winchester single shot .22's since the beginning of the twentieth century.

Are 9mm rimfire shotshells still available in Europe, or did the .410 kill that round off?

Robert

Sasquatch-1
04-12-2016, 04:59 AM
Just found this if interested:

Ballistics in Scotland
04-12-2016, 08:52 AM
They began in France and Belgium with short ball and shot cartridges for the Flobert rifles or smoothbores, and became quite popular in simple an inexpensive bolt-actions. For some time the cartridge looked like a conventional shotgun one, but I believe the paper part detached from the base and proceeded down the barrel, as one of the first shot sleeves. Later the cartridge was loaded by Fiocchi with an all-brass case which still mimicked the thickness of the brass head on the paper ones. The wad was a single cupped piece of cardboard, and the mouth was gently rolled over another card disc. There must still be a lot of these guns about, so my guess is that it isn't one of those rounds you hear of Fiocchi having made recently, but can never actually find. They used a very fine ball powder, and the shot was also small, possibly no.10.

Webley made a lot of these, and it was the first firearm I ever owned without air coming into it. It was actually rather good for the only rational purpose it ever had, to shoot small pests with too much ill-judged trust to be running or flying at the time. Strangely, considering the primitive wad, the pattern wasn't at all bad. It was never in direct competition with the .410, being much less powerful, but far better than the .22 rimfires.

I wish I had kept the Webley, for a couple of decades ago the Birmingham Proof House sent to auction a lot of items they thought they would seldom use again, and I bought several pounds weight of those Fiocchi cases, primed but never loaded, to make .32 rimfires. (I made my own dies, with a hoseclipped piece of plastic tubing extending above face height, but never had an ignition in those I tested dry,, and normally I dampened the composition.) They are plain brass, so they may have dated from before the nickel-plated ones I bought around 1965.