PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning question for 22 match shooters

ShooterAZ
04-10-2016, 08:18 PM
I recently purchased one of the Marvel 22 conversions for my Kimber 1911 45ACP frame. Honestly, this is one of the best gun buying decisions I have ever made. I probably could have bought a Ruger MKIII for the price I paid for the conversion and all the accessories, but the accuracy I am getting is nothing short of astonishing. I'm obviously very happy with it. My question is: How often do you guys swab and run a brush through the barrel?

Up to this point all I have done is clean the breech-face and bolt face with q-tips, clean the mag followers, and keep it lubed. Upon inspecting the barrel, it is completely Bright & Shiny, so I haven't put a single patch or brush into it thus far (I cleaned it before first shooting it). I'm using quality ammo in it, and would prefer not to keep cleaning the bore after each session. Am I on the right track here? It appears that my bore has become "seasoned". I appreciate any input on this. Thanks...Shooter.

marvelshooter
04-10-2016, 08:42 PM
You will likely gets lots of opinions and here is mine. I shoot my Marvel 60 rounds a week from Sept to April and give it a thorough cleaning twice a year. I pull a bore snake through it once or twice between cleanings and that's it.

country gent
04-10-2016, 09:05 PM
I clean mine and the other 22s when the mood strikes me. I lube and them before shooting with a few well placed drops of oil. After shooting just a patch or to of CLP or other light oil and dry patch to make a thin even layer is all. My marvel shoots great. Does the conversion still come with the badge of the best group and ammo it fired for them?

ShooterAZ
04-10-2016, 09:17 PM
You will likely gets lots of opinions and here is mine. I shoot my Marvel 60 rounds a week from Sept to April and give it a thorough cleaning twice a year. I pull a bore snake through it once or twice between cleanings and that's it.

Well, with a handle of "marvelshooter", I appreciate and respect your opinion. Thank you..I think I'm on the right track here. I need to get a 22 bore snake.

ShooterAZ
04-10-2016, 09:21 PM
I clean mine and the other 22s when the mood strikes me. I lube and them before shooting with a few well placed drops of oil. After shooting just a patch or to of CLP or other light oil and dry patch to make a thin even layer is all. My marvel shoots great. Does the conversion still come with the badge of the best group and ammo it fired for them?

Yes it does still come with the "badge". My groups are roughly the same, though not shot from a ransom rest! I bought both the scope mount rail, and the adjustable sight rail. This conversion is amazing. I love it.

odfairfaxsub
04-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Let me tell you...don't use m-pro7 unless your barrel really needs a cleaning from leading and bad bad dirty nasty. I used it on my 22 lr and I'm now seasoning my barrel still bc it cleans way too well. Just dry patch or use something super gentle if you must and still have accuracy that is acceptable.

I just dry patch my 10-22 after every session to see bore cond and it hasn't merited bore cleaning

country gent
04-10-2016, 09:35 PM
I truly enjoy mine also one of the bullseye shooters at the club dedicated a 45 1911 frame to his. Set it up trigger pull and what he wanted for the rimfire stage. MIne only has the sight rail on it.

tazman
04-10-2016, 11:14 PM
With all my semi-autos I clean and lube the action only. I haven't cleaned a bore in years. With today's ammunition, there should be no need to clean beyond a dry patch unless you somehow get leading in the barrel(saw that happen once).
The only times I have trouble with an of my 22s is if I let the actions get dirty or dry.

Forrest r
04-11-2016, 05:07 PM
I clean the chamber, chamber leade and muzzle after every range visit with my marvel 22lr upper or any other 22lr caliber firearm that has a "match" chamber. The bore itself I typically wet then dry patch only.

Lloyd Smale
04-12-2016, 07:24 AM
maybe occasionaly run a wet patch with something mild like hoppe's

gnoahhh
04-20-2016, 11:49 PM
With my Woodsmans, I only clean the bore maybe once every 500 rounds or so. The rest of the parts get cleaned after every shooting session. Even then I only use a wet Hoppes patch followed by a couple dry ones.

In my target rifles (M52A, M2 Springfield, Martini) I only clean the bore when accuracy starts to fall off, which varies between them. Then it is again with the Hoppes followed by a light oil. Before shooting then a couple dry patches, followed up with a few fouling shots and I'm back in business. A friend uses brake cleaner to clean his bores before a match if they have an oil coating from a previous deep cleaning. I always thought that was bit harsh, but what do I know.

dverna
04-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Another guy who rarely cleans his .22 barrels. Maybe every 4-5,000 rounds.

KCSO
04-21-2016, 01:57 PM
When I shot smallbore our coach would let us clean the rifle only once a season. Then we had to shoot 50 rounds to season the bore before we ever shot a group for match. If I shoot for a group with any specific ammo I clean the bore then fire 15-20 rounds of the desired ammo BEFORE I ever shoot for a group. All groups 5 or 10 shots at the desired range and an average of 5 groups. In my plinking guns I just shoot what I have and don't worry about it and I clean them whenever I put them away.