PDA

View Full Version : container to shake in

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2016, 08:04 AM
see lots of recommendations for cool whip containers. Is there a difference in what you use. How about a 3lb plastic coffee can?

Walter Laich
04-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Just make sure there is a 5 on the bottom (it's usually in a triangle). That's the recycle number and it's the one you want.
I use the Glad round containers with screw on lids. Not the largest but I can do 30+ each time so I'm happy enough with that.
They make cheaper ones but the lids keep cracking so, for me, Glad is a better buy

Jeffrey
04-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Personally, the container I use is square (Planters 1# 10oz nuts). I like a square container that really mixes the boolits / lube. It is plenty big enough for the number of boolits I lube at once. A 3# coffee can is going to waste a lot of lube sticking to the inside of the container.

Pine Baron
04-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Hi Lloyd,
My understanding is any #5 (PP) Polypropylene container will work (I use the "Cool whip"). It enhances the static charge between the container, the black plastic BB's, the powder and the boolits. I personally think it's magic/ voodoo. :bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2016, 09:11 AM
looked in the cubbord and came up with country crock containers that do have a #5 in a triangle. thanks guys.

OptimusPanda
04-10-2016, 12:49 PM
The couple that I've been using are square rubbermaid containers I got for $.99 from a thrift shop. They're polypropylene (#5) and work really well for 50-75 .452" bullets, or 100 or so .358" bullets.

vrh
04-10-2016, 01:10 PM
I use several different styles and from several different makers. A man can never have enough plastic containers. Need one for each color and each caliber. lol

Spector
04-10-2016, 03:00 PM
+1 on what Walter said.

Lloyd, you are not sold on PC, but I know you will give it an honest test and report back on same. The Glad screw lid containers have given great results and combined with Smokes recommended powders my results just keep getting better it seems.

Later if you become impressed with PC you can change to a way that produces higher volume if you want.

I started with a cool whip container and Harbor freight red. Didn't want to invest much in the new process I'd only read about. I think the Glad containers Walter recommended will give you very acceptable results. Smoke is the one who turned me onto the Glad containers when I ordered a pound of his clear powder. I believe he said that is what he uses to test out powders before he markets them.

I think you are looking for a high performing coating and are less interested in bright colors. If you make the process your own then you can go for looks later.

Pretty sure Glad + Smokes powder + some of his Air Soft BB's will be giving the process a more than adequate chance to work for you. If you bake them at an honest 400 degrees for 10 minutes after the powder glosses over in the oven I believe your boolits will perform to the standards you require.

Will it replace conventionally lubed boolits in your life? I can't say that. I do suspect you will welcome properly processed PC boolits into your arsenal as a better choice in at least some instances.

Mike

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Mike that's kind of the way I look at this. It will never replace lubesizing. What I can see if for is loading like a 100 rounds for my Beowulf or maybe a 4570, .356 ect. It would be way to labor intensive and my club fingers wouldn't work well to do 3 or 4 thousand 9mm bullets.

Smoke4320
04-11-2016, 08:43 AM
And Lloyd as I tell everyone it will take you 3, 4 or 5 times before you get into a routine and really start producing Great shooting bullets
don't be afraid to shake HARD up and down .. the BB'S will cushion the bullets and you will get a good coating .. If not covered great close the lid and shake again .. I usually get 3 to 4 batches of Bullets before I have to add more powder .. Again give it a few batches to get it down pat

Also Like changing any component you may have to tweek your load a little to tighten up the groups ..

enjoy

Walter Laich
04-11-2016, 10:47 AM
...are less interested in bright colors.

Mike

I've found for me the bright color period of my life was quick to pass (unless we're talking about Zombie Green but that's another story).

I get a kick now my mixing colors and seeing what the outcome is. If I have a bunch to pc I notice the final color will vary depending on whether I add black or purple to keep enough powder in the #5 container (colors are just an example)

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2016, 10:48 AM
couple more questions for you smoke. Does it hurt to cook longer then 10 minutes. Like 15 to make sure its cured? Also my wife has unlimited access to spent large printer cartridges Most of them black. She works in billing in the hospital and says theres stacks of them. they all have some left in them. Would this stuff work the same?

Handloader109
04-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Just to answer your question, I cook mine at 400 for for 20 minutes. 15is probably fine, but I do make sure that it is cured. And no toner isn't the same.

warf73
04-13-2016, 02:09 AM
At first I was running mine 20 mins total time in the oven. I now run them for 15 mins. no difference the extra time isn't needed. It normally takes 2~3 mins for the boolits to shine and the directions say start the 10min timer then.
I'm sizing a batch while one is cooking is the only reason I do 15mins, at 20mins I have ideal time.

Mytmousemalibu
04-13-2016, 04:43 AM
I use these clear, square containers that had Anderson's Peanut Butter Pretzel Nuggets inside. I know it goes against the conventional wisdom of #5 plastic tubs for PC'ing but these are #1 which is PETE. I don't use any airsoft BB's, nothing added but bullets. Tumble lube & PC both work great, ZERO issues. I do pre heat my bare cast boolits with a heat gun before doing PC tumbling, hot enough to drive off surface moisture and let cool till just warm, then tumble them. Perfect coating from day one, very first time doing PC'ed boolits and perfect ever since and this is with crazy Kansas humidity in the warmer months.

BILLYBOB44
04-13-2016, 07:29 AM
I use the round Rubbermaid #5 containers.
I wash off with a "Splash" of Coleman Fuel, set on towel, into a small SS bowl, HF heat gun, till warm to touch, into the paint/air soft BB's. Swirl/beat up+down 2-3 Min.

Comes out well for me..Bill.