PDA

View Full Version : Sticker shock!

jonk
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
It's been awhile- like 5, 6 years- since I bought a box of factory jacketed name brand (i.e. remington, etc., not PRVI) ammo.

Well I got a 35 lever action Marlin 336. Plan was to buy one box of ammo to see how it shoots then reload the brass with cast after decoppering the bore- which it needs anyhow (used gun).

$29.99 for a 20 round box of Remington corelock. Online I've seen it for $21, but add shipping and there you go.... sticker shock! Last time I paid like $12, $15 bucks for a box of Rem ammo.

Yessir, this is a reminder why I reload and why I cast.

runfiverun
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
try a box of 348 win. i think they are now up to what the rifle sold for new....

jawjaboy
05-08-2008, 06:02 PM
When I bought my 45/70 a few months ago, my man asked me what kind of ammo I wanted. I asked what he had, he showed me. Cheapest box he had was $27.95. ;)

"I'm not pay'n that price fer a box a ammo, Chad", so said I.

"I reckon ya gonna make some a them too, ain't cha", so said Chad.

"Sure", so said me.

He looked at me, mumbled something, opened the box, pulled out 5, and told me ta get my ass outta there. :mrgreen:

Put 'em in my pocket, and did.

Blammer
05-08-2008, 06:36 PM
lol

stillhunter
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
For that price you could have a bag of brass at Cabellas. Waite till hunting season and haunt your local range's trashcans. I got a lotta 30-30 and 30-06 that way. Once fired is fine!

Jon K
05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Isn't it a prerequisite for any new gun- Brass, Dies, Shellholder, Mould(s), sizing die, GC (optional)?.............sometimes even buying that stuff, before finding the gun..............

Jon
:castmine:

bullshot
05-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Yah-- I'm like that too. Have a few sets of dies and no gun. However there is a gun out there with my name on it for all those dies. We just haven't run across each other yet.

The_Montanan
05-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Recent price check on factory Remington 405-gr JSP was $34.99 as was for the .444 Marlin in 240-gr JSP.

Copper prices have risen at least 400% and lead is following. I don't cast my pills, so me gots to buy ones that are. But the prices of cast are so much better anyways.

unclebill
05-11-2008, 08:02 AM
if i didnt reload i wouldnt own half the guns i do because they are expensive calibers.
454casull comes to mind.....

miestro_jerry
05-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Prices are always going UP!

That said, I have loaded my own for years and have cast my own for almost the same amount of time.

Lead used to be like $.35 a pound, now it's $3.00 a pound. I bought 20,000 once fired 38 Spl shells for $.0025 each, quarter of a penny each. Can't find such a deal these days.

There used to be an old saying about a penny a primer, a penny for powder and a penny for the lead. I wish I could do that now.

I have accumulated several good reloading presses over the years, mostly Dillon, and a Rock Chucker. I have a 20 or more year old Lee Production Pot, a bunch of molds, and both a Star and a RCBS sizer with lots of dies for both.

I have duplicate sets of dies, some times one die from one set works well with another die for a certain caliber/rifle. There are many dies in my cabinet for rifles and pistols I haven't owned in a while, so once in a while I trade some off.

The cost of everything is going up, so stock up, I had to buy some new 9mm brass, so I bought 5,000 once fired. What I paid for those was more than what I paid for a Used S&W M39 way back when. And I am not that old!

Jerry

Murphy
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I resemble that entire remark and feel your pains my friend.

I'm gathering a list for primers/powder some once fired brass I have to have. Also in the list is one particular jellow bullet that goes in a black rifle (Homeland Security Firearm). Following the above, it's .22 LR, .22 LR & .22 LR & .410 shells.

Thanks,

Murphy