PDA

View Full Version : which rcbs mould for 44 mag?

Mica_Hiebert
04-09-2016, 08:21 PM
I want to start casting for my new ruger 44 mag pistol. What is your favorite (rcbs only) mould for 44 mag and why? They have several swc, Keith style and different grain moulds and I am trying to figure out which one I should get.

kungfustyle
04-09-2016, 09:47 PM
I have the Lyman version of the 240 swc Keith style and can put 6 rounds in a 4" target at 50 yards with my Super Blackhawk. Good bullet and RCBS makes one like it. Mine is PB and I run it over a good load of 4227.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-09-2016, 10:01 PM
I have the Lyman version of the 240 swc Keith style and can put 6 rounds in a 4" target at 50 yards with my Super Blackhawk. Good bullet and RCBS makes one like it. Mine is PB and I run it over a good load of 4227.
same mold but i never had any luck with 4227 powder my go to powder is 2400 or bluedot in that order

GWM
04-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Depends what to use it for. For accuracy and target shooting the 240-SIL (240 grain Silhouette) is very nice. The weight is probably optimal for energy/speed/drop/accuracy balance. For hunting many would prefer heavier.

Mica_Hiebert
04-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Bump.

Thin Man
04-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Recently I added an RCBS 44-225-SWC to the herd, hoping it will create a loaded COL suitable for a Ruger 44 Carbine (semi-auto), very recent acquisition. No, I haven't gotten any of these loaded to test cycle from the magazine up and into the chamber, but will do that as soon as the honey-do's and seasonal yard chores fade away. The shorter nose section suggests it may work. On the down side many people with this rifle have reported it cycles and groups better as boolit weight gets lighter and then lighter again. We shall see. If this boolit fails the Ruger test, my next test will be with a Marlin 1894 carbine I have had many years. What I like about this mold is the wider scraper band immediately forward of the crimp groove (always casts full and round), much wider that the same band on a Lyman 429215 mold. The Lyman mold has always gives me "issues" in trying to completely fill in that band, even with tin added to the pot and run hot. Perhaps if I crossed my eyes when casting... The RCBS 225 boolits groups as well in a S&W 29 (6.5 barrel) as any cast boolit I have used in it, just hoping it will cycle and group in either carbine. Time and testing will tell.

Thin Man

Mica_Hiebert
04-11-2016, 03:14 AM
I'm leaning twards heavier I will be casting 210s for my 41mag I don't think I quite want to go up to the 300 grain but I still don't know. I really like the heavy 400 grain in my 480 ruger so maybe the 300 is the ticket for my 44 I tend to like the heavier bullets in my 357s as well. I am so a.d.d. I can't collect my thoughts enough to make a decision haha I could always get both but I plan on doing marathon casting sessions and loading on a progressive so keeping 1 mould is prefered.

bobthenailer
04-11-2016, 09:41 AM
The rcbs 240 gr sil bullet is very accurate , weighs 240gr when cast in linotype about 255 gr in WW alloy. ( all rcbs rifle & sil bullets are spected with lino type alloy , regular pistol bullets are spected with 1 part tin to 10 parts lead) as for hunting it does not have as large meplat as the other rcbs swc

Mica_Hiebert
04-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Are the semi wad cutters less accurate? I doubt to be doing any bulls eye matches but hitting what you aim at is nice.

GWM
04-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Hitting what you aim at has more to do with the shooter than the boolit :)

The difference in accuracy may be significant enough in a match environment, but generally it can't be known in advance what your specific gun needs.

rintinglen
04-11-2016, 07:48 PM
I like my 44-245 kt. It is a 95 % copy of the 429-421 and shoots really good.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Until I got an H&G #503 I used the RCBS 429421 and it performed very well for me out of my Smiths (M29s). I preferred IMR 4227 and a load of 17 grains. The old DuPont tables allowed a max loading of 23 grains but I found that too stout for my needs. LLS

bobthenailer
04-12-2016, 11:51 AM
I have bullet moulds with a rn, swc, wc, and tc profile all are accurate !

For the 44 mag I have a Saeco #420 200gr tc that I use for 98% of my shooting and the Saeco #944 200 gr wc for bowling pins a Saeco#441 240 gr swc my first 44 mould hardly use it any more , and the RCBS 240 gr gc sil used when it when I shot silhouette with the 44 mag.

I haven't used the 44 mag for hunting for about 25 years since i started using any one of my FA 454 Casull revolvers

Mica_Hiebert
04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I purchased both this 44 and my 41 because they where good deals and you can always use more guns so they don't really have a "purpose" I have my 357/38 that's my go to plinker then I have my SRH 480 for hunting... the 41 mag and 44 mag I just now own and need something to feed them rcbs only has 1 41 mould so it's an easy choice.

Aunegl
04-12-2016, 10:42 PM
I've been shooting an RCBS 240 SWCGC since the late 80s. It's a very accurate bullet out of a TC 44, Ruger and Taurus.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2016, 06:09 AM
I own 6 44 mags right now and have probably owned another dozen over the years. My hands down favorite bullet for accuracy in the 44 mag is the rcbs 240 swcgc mold. Ive yet to find a 44 handgun that didn't shoot that bullet great. Its even worked well in some rifles that were very persnickety when it came to accuracy. Ive killed a bunch of game with it too and its done real well in that aspect too. If I had to go down to just one 44 bullet this would be the one.

Mica_Hiebert
04-13-2016, 12:58 PM
I own 6 44 mags right now and have probably owned another dozen over the years. My hands down favorite bullet for accuracy in the 44 mag is the rcbs 240 swcgc mold. Ive yet to find a 44 handgun that didn't shoot that bullet great. Its even worked well in some rifles that were very persnickety when it came to accuracy. Ive killed a bunch of game with it too and its done real well in that aspect too. If I had to go down to just one 44 bullet this would be the one.

Thats the one I have been leaning twards. Thank you for your feed back.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2016, 02:27 PM
only downside to it is you have to buy gas checks but to me the performance of that bullet warranted the cost.

Mica_Hiebert
04-13-2016, 11:02 PM
only downside to it is you have to buy gas checks but to me the performance of that bullet warranted the cost.
They make almost the same bullet in a 245 grain checkless. Is a check necessary? I noticed the 41 cal mould only comes checkless.

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2016, 06:35 AM
ive have molds and have shot the rcbs 245, 250swc, 250kt and all are decent bullets some guns will like one or two of them some wont but none shoot like the 240s. It has shot well in everything ive put it in. Even rifles.

SweetMk
04-14-2016, 12:09 PM
I've been shooting an RCBS 240 SWCGC since the late 80s. It's a very accurate bullet out of a TC 44, Ruger and Taurus.

Lets say I get this mold, and handles, and cast the bullets from WW's,,,

Can I size then shoot the bullets WITHOUT gas checks at lower velocities??
It seems the bullet would look a little like a boattail with the missing gas check,,, so it seems like it would work.

I love shooting my 44 MAG 629 S&W,,, but, since, almost exclusively I shoot low velocity, the gas check seems like a waste of $$$,,,
(the purpose of Cast Boolits is to save $$,,, right??)

(I assume the gas check is to allow higher velocity??)

The RCBS 240 SWCGC seems to be super popular,, do I have to buy a different mold for bullets W/O gas checks??

Mica_Hiebert
04-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Lets say I get this mold, and handles, and cast the bullets from WW's,,,

Can I size then shoot the bullets WITHOUT gas checks at lower velocities??
It seems the bullet would look a little like a boattail with the missing gas check,,, so it seems like it would work.

I love shooting my 44 MAG 629 S&W,,, but, since, almost exclusively I shoot low velocity, the gas check seems like a waste of $$$,,,
(the purpose of Cast Boolits is to save $$,,, right??)

(I assume the gas check is to allow higher velocity??)

The RCBS 240 SWCGC seems to be super popular,, do I have to buy a different mold for bullets W/O gas checks??

They have the 245 grain swc that is checkless I believe it is the same bullet just 5 grains heavier since lead fills the check area.

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2016, 03:45 PM
never had much luck shooting gas checked bullet designs without a gas check. I guess it depends on what you want. Me I look for good groups at 25 yards. I like to see one inch 6 shot groups. Now if your idea of shooting is hitting a coffee can at 25 yards then they will probably be fine

GWM
04-15-2016, 09:50 AM
I like a boolit that is accurate out to 200 yards. I had the 240-SWC-GC but it didn't work for me (in the S&W 629). I now use a custom Mountain Mold that looks more like the 240-SIL but drops at .434". For accuracy the right diameter can be important.

Nowherefound
04-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, lots of 44-240 and 44-245 recommendations here. Is there a reason the 44-250-k hasn't popped up? Recently entered the 44 world and it is the only mold I have for it at the moment.

Lloyd Smale
04-16-2016, 07:51 AM
The 245, 250k and 250kt are decent bullets. There all worth trying but in my opinion if I wanted a non gas checked bullet id just by a lyman 429421. couple more good gas check molds are the 429244 a 429214
Just out of curiosity, lots of 44-240 and 44-245 recommendations here. Is there a reason the 44-250-k hasn't popped up? Recently entered the 44 world and it is the only mold I have for it at the moment.

Mica_Hiebert
04-16-2016, 08:57 AM
I will probably be going with the 240 swc GC even tho the GC adds cost they seem to be more forgiving in the bore size department. I really needed more calibers to load for like I needed a hole in my head. The 240 sil gets lots of love but the meplat isn't big enough for my liking I want a general purpose bullet and even tho I may take a longer range pot shot at a steel dinger from time to time I am probly not good enough of a shot to notice the difference between bullet types at longer ranges. Once I get a gun sighted in I generally never shoot a group at least with my plinking guns.

Petrol & Powder
04-16-2016, 09:10 AM
I hate gas checks on handgun bullets and see little need or them at sane velocities. Acting on advice from others on this forum I went with the RCBS 44-250-K [SWC] and I have been pleased with that decision.

Mica_Hiebert
04-16-2016, 09:20 AM
I hate gas checks on handgun bullets and see little need or them at sane velocities. Acting on advice from others on this forum I went with the RCBS 44-250-K [SWC] and I have been pleased with that decision.

What do you consider sane velocities? It's a 44 MAGNUM after all :-D

Petrol & Powder
04-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Based on your post #14:
"I purchased both this 44 and my 41 because they where good deals and you can always use more guns so they don't really have a "purpose" I have my 357/38 that's my go to plinker then I have my SRH 480 for hunting... the 41 mag and 44 mag I just now own and need something to feed them rcbs only has 1 41 mould so it's an easy choice. "

I assumed you were not selecting a dedicated hunting bullet.
Just because you can shoot full power magnum loads doesn't mean you have to every time you pull the trigger. With that in mind, I think less than 1200 fps and in reality, often a lot less.

I like simple logistics to the point that simplifying my equipment often takes precedence over seeking maximum performance. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you must. By choice, I only have a few loads for 44 Magnum. My all-around load (and also my favorite 44 load) is a Skeeter 44 Special equivalent loaded in a 44 Magnum case using that RCBS 250 SWC bullet cast with 20:1 alloy. That load will do 90% of what you need a 44 to do. For that remaining 10% I have a couple of hotter loads, one of which uses that same bullet. (that's the simple logistics thing showing :grin: ).
Your goals are likely different than mine. If I need a gas check I'm just going to go with a jacketed bullet and call it a day.
YMMV.

By the way, that RCBS 44-250-K mold has proven to be an excellent mold and it produces a very useful all-around bullet.

Good Luck!

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2016, 07:03 AM
are they needed NO. Are they beneficial you bet. Are they worth the added cost. that I guess is a personal decision. I will say this. Ive been loading for handguns for over 40 years and have owned near a hundred different handguns in that time. Ive shot MANY different bullets through all of them. I don't recall a single gun (other then something like a 45acp that doesn't have gas checked molds) that didn't do its absolute best work with a gas checked bullet.

Yes in some cases the differences were small and in some cases I didn't test a lot of bullets finding a superb load. Gas checked bullets are just easier to find good loads for and I may have stopped testing when I found a tack driving load before I might have found one with a plain based mold. My take on it is this. Probably on average if I take a good gas checked bullet and start load development it takes 1/2 the time and components to fine tune the load and it shoots better in the end then a plain based bullet and that is doubly so if I want to use a softer alloy for my bullets or the speeds get up above 1100 fps with anything but the hardest alloys. Also I can buy near 10 gas checks for every jacketed bullet I buy. 3-4 cents a gas check is in a different category to me then 30 cents a bullet .

Now I'm not going to bs anyone. I shoot a lot of plain based bullets too. I shoot ALOT and even I don't want to buck up for the cost of gas checks for everything but when I need a gun to do its best theres usually a gas check in it and in those cases the cost doesn't matter. I guess it comes down to what your looking for. I know guys that wont buck up for 4 or 5 different powders to try or different primers ect to find the most accuracy out of there guns either. Some are happy rolling beer cans at 15 yards and if your one of those then don't bother with gas checks.

The 250k is a decent bullet. Ive found better plain based bullets but its a decent one. In most of my 44s it will do 2 inch or a bit more at 25 yards with some load development and with extensive load development maybe a bit under two inch. Ive had some guns that would do 1.5 with it but don't recall any doing better. If that's good enough for you. Personaly I look for 2 inch 50 yard groups as a minimum with hunting guns. But that's me.

GWM
04-17-2016, 07:33 AM
It's not just bore size, it's the cylinder throats. I would recommend measuring the throats. An RCBS mold may cast too small to fit the throats. A GC may help a bit. If it wasn't restricted to RCBS only I would consider one of the custom makers and get a slight oversize.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-17-2016, 08:09 AM
I know your asking about RCBS molds but this is a real good boolit http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-265F-D.png
shoots very good in my Ruger SBH

Mica_Hiebert
04-17-2016, 09:00 AM
I like my custom NOE moulds but I just found out I get a awesome discount on rcbs products enough to steer me twards the rcbs mould instead of a custom. I already ordered some rcbs handles for my NOE mould. I'd be happy with minute of beer can at 50 yards from a seated position. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the 240 swc GC.

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2016, 09:25 AM
my take on it is like this. I do like swc's and keiths. there just old school looking. But other then a few gas checked swcs there all mediocure shooters. Now an lfn or rf design will about allways shoot well but its going to have to be at least 260 grain in my opinion to be a real shooter. 280 is even better. With an lfn you will probably get an accurate bullet without even using a gas check. there a lot less finiky. If you take a good swc like a 240 rcbs and change it so minutely that you cant even tell with the naked eye you can and probably will ruin a good design. Ive seen many times on there that I got into group buys for swcs that were copys of bullets that were proven shooter and the custom molds copy shot like ****. Lfns are much more forgiving. Most all of them shoot well. If you don't mind a bit more recoil a 280 lfn is hard to beat for an all around 44 mag bullet. Youll get a lot of arguments about this but an lfn design is hands down the easiest design to find accuracy with. Problem is rcbs doesn't make one.
I know your asking about RCBS molds but this is a real good boolit http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-265F-D.png
shoots very good in my Ruger SBH