PDA

View Full Version : Missing/Deleted Posts

Omega
04-09-2016, 04:35 PM
I've noticed a few of my posts go missing, and one I started before about this is one of them. Has anyone noticed any of their posts go missing? None of these seemed to be controversial or against posting rules so I doubt they were deleted by mods for that reason.

jmort
04-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Threads do get disappeared. Seems to be the preferred method as opposed to closing them, and leaving them up with an explanation.

Omega
04-09-2016, 05:46 PM
One of the posts, the thread about them forgetting explosives on a school bus, I responded in the middle and now that post is gone. There were two threads, I responded in both and not all posts were removed.

Preacher Jim
04-09-2016, 05:48 PM
They get moved were they belong sorry but look in the area they fit best. This is a general forum mostly related to questions and ideas

rancher1913
04-09-2016, 05:55 PM
I've lost a few but its because I forgot to hit the "post reply" button at the end.

dverna
04-09-2016, 06:58 PM
I was a meanie and had a post removed. Funny thing is that thread died immediately afterwards.....and it was a good thread started by one of the better moderators.

Frankly, I deserved the warning. One needs to be civil even if the BS meter is pegged.

Now, I have heard that some are more equal than others but that is life. Happens in families, church and work. Nothing to get our undies in a knot over.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2016, 07:07 PM
I've noticed a few of my posts go missing, and one I started before about this is one of them. Has anyone noticed any of their posts go missing? None of these seemed to be controversial or against posting rules so I doubt they were deleted by mods for that reason.
Missing from "our town"?
The Mods (me included) have let a lot of threads 'slide' here in "our town", that should be posted in the pit. There is a current 'push' to get them moved. I moved a bunch last night.

just a reminder...

Forum: Our Town

This is the area for general forum Help, Info , Member Prayers and Board Updates. "Our Town" section for our member related issues . New Members please check in here for helpful hints. Off topic/humor/politics goes in off topic, politics. Please put shooting stuff in the shooting areas! Check the Classics and Stickies forum for helpful topics.

BTW, if I see new ones started, I'll just delete them.

WILCO
04-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Great! More traffic for the PIT!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

Clay M
04-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Mostly off topic section or that dissentious section..The PIT

But ..they can't play 7th chords..only Jimmy Buffett tunes...

Taylor
04-09-2016, 07:53 PM
I have them. You have until Friday to pay the ransom...2 lube grooves for each post.

Omega
04-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Missing from "our town"?
The Mods (me included) have let a lot of threads 'slide' here in "our town", that should be posted in the pit. There is a current 'push' to get them moved. I moved a bunch last night.

just a reminder...

BTW, if I see new ones started, I'll just delete them.
The one missing from here mirrors this one, no accusations, no drama, nothing that can be deemed inappropriate. Since this is the best place to ask for general forum help, I posted the question here.

The one about the forgotten explosive materials on a school bus was also, IMHO, nothing that could be deemed inappropriate, or even controversial. I will repost my reply there, as I have other replies that prompted the original "missing posts" post in this area. You make it seem as though we are talking about posts that are inappropriate, or in wrong areas; we are not, just run of the mill replies germane to the conversation at hand.
My thinking is that this may be some sort of forum software hiccup, nothing mod related.

MaryB
04-09-2016, 08:35 PM
It is mod related, I have moved a few posts myself recently, either to the pit or to staff for discussion. This forum is NOT for politics! Take it to the pit!

Omega
04-09-2016, 08:39 PM
It is mod related, I have moved a few posts myself recently, either to the pit or to staff for discussion. This forum is NOT for politics! Take it to the pit!
What is political about missing posts?

MT Gianni
04-09-2016, 09:28 PM
What is political about missing posts?
Look up your My Profile by clicking on your screen name atop the page and click on find recent posts. You can then tell if the thread you put them in has been moved or deleted.

Omega
04-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Look up your My Profile by clicking on your screen name atop the page and click on find recent posts. You can then tell if the thread you put them in has been moved or deleted.
Yea, I did that. The threads are still there, I checked both in case I replied to one not the other even though I had quoted the question I was replying to. I replied again with about the same message and checked to make sure it "stuck". The other one was here and more or less stated as the opening post in this thread. On my profile it does not show that post, moved or otherwise and the picture in the bus/explosives post I had referenced is not in my attachments. That is why I lean towards a system glitch, maybe a database indexing issue when an update was done. I don't know for sure so hence my question to see if anyone else had missing posts, not deleted or moved, just missing.

runfiverun
04-09-2016, 10:29 PM
omega I have had a couple missing too.
I dunno if it's my computer or something glitches on the forum.
sometimes I just back click without hitting the post reply button, sometimes it's saved and sometimes I have to re-write it.
I also have trouble editing my own posts.
I can edit or remove or whatever anyone else's, but editing mine for spelling or something like that just doesn't happen. [shrug]

Omega
04-09-2016, 10:33 PM
omega I have had a couple missing too.
I dunno if it's my computer or something glitches on the forum.
sometimes I just back click without hitting the post reply button, sometimes it's saved and sometimes I have to re-write it.
I also have trouble editing my own posts.
I can edit or remove or whatever anyone else's, but editing mine for spelling or something like that just doesn't happen. [shrug]
Well, that's possible good news, for me, I'm either not going nuts or I have good company :bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Yea, I did that. The threads are still there, I checked both in case I replied to one not the other even though I had quoted the question I was replying to. I replied again with about the same message and checked to make sure it "stuck". The other one was here and more or less stated as the opening post in this thread. On my profile it does not show that post, moved or otherwise and the picture in the bus/explosives post I had referenced is not in my attachments. That is why I lean towards a system glitch, maybe a database indexing issue when an update was done. I don't know for sure so hence my question to see if anyone else had missing posts, not deleted or moved, just missing.
As I said I moved a bunch of threads, and I didn't recall moving any of yours...So, since you've commented a couple times, but not providing subject matter? I went and looked at your recent "previous posts". So I would know what you are talking about. OK, Yes I did move both threads about explosives. They are clearly for the "off topic" forum in the PIT. In both threads, the OP basically states, check this video out and provides a link. There is nothing about those type of threads that fit the "our town" forum. Now if you were to start a thread about "you" training dogs and such for explosive detection and/or handling, that would surely fit in "our town", but by merely commenting about said training, after this "off topic" thread was started, doesn't make the thread fit in "our town".

If a post is missing from the thread, maybe it got lost in the ether, if you were posting it while I was moving the thread?

Omega
04-09-2016, 11:01 PM
As I said I moved a bunch of threads, and I didn't recall moving any of yours...So, since you've commented a couple times, but not providing subject matter? I went and looked at your recent "previous posts". So I would know what you are talking about. OK, Yes I did move both threads about explosives. They are clearly for the "off topic" forum in the PIT. In both threads, the OP basically states, check this video out and provides a link. There is nothing about those type of threads that fit the "our town" forum. Now if you were to start a thread about "you" training dogs and such for explosive detection and/or handling, that would surely fit in "our town", but by merely commenting about said training, after this "off topic" thread was started, doesn't make the thread fit in "our town".

If a post is missing from the thread, maybe it got lost in the ether, if you were posting it while I was moving the thread?
Ok, see now that makes sense for the explosives post. I didn't think my post was just deleted due to it's content, like I said nothing controversial in it. Now the other one about missing posts here seems may have been a glitch or accidentally deleted in the mod movement melee.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2016, 11:08 PM
this "missing posts" thread, is the only thread that I about that, that I know about...maybe as R5Rsays, it's a glitch or something.

runfiverun
04-10-2016, 01:15 AM
heck I gained about 30 posts all at once for some reason a while back.
maybe I got credit for all the ones I made in the S&S section while the wife was awake.

Cowboy_Dan
04-10-2016, 02:55 AM
I did notice once that my post count dropped by one. May or may not be the only time, but I never did any checking into it. I figured some thread I posted in got deleted for some reason or another. Not that I care terribly about my post count, I just happened to notice it was 430 one night and it was 429 the next day. For all I know that thread was reinstated and I got the post back in my count.

jonp
04-10-2016, 06:06 AM
I've had a couple disappear on me. I scratched my heard as I didn't get a warning about them and now can't remember what they were about or if they were over any line. I don't think so but I didn't let it bother me enough to ask about it or go looking for them

FISH4BUGS
04-10-2016, 06:13 AM
I'm not sure if this can be done, but it would be most helpful to posters if their posts get deleted and/or moved to have an explanation posted somehow that is the case.
I DO see that entire threads can be marked as "moved" but if posts get deleted without an explanation, it gets confusing to the poster.
Did I mess up?
Did the computer mess up?
Did it get deleted?
Will I get banned?
etc.

runfiverun
04-10-2016, 10:29 AM
that'd be a good idea.

I could probably put you in charge of that.
you'd only have to send out about 50 pm's a day.
and deal with the responses.

on a calm day I have about 10 in and 12 out.
on a busy day I can't keep up with everything flying through the staff section and the multiple p.m.'s
I don't get to read the site or go back to threads I am following.
just log on and do 'business'.
I know many of the mods have day's just like that too.

you'll know if your gonna be banned, you get several messages and warnings.
it doesn't just come out of the blue, unless you do something totally overboard and deserve it.
it goes through staff and a review and a vote and...it's not something that's taken lightly.

Omega
04-10-2016, 12:27 PM
The question was prompted by a few missing mundane posts, no reason for them to be deleted on their own. I don't pay attention most times as to where the thread resides unless I start it, then I try and do my due diligence and select the most appropriate area. I use the "unread posts" link and jump into conversations that interest me, I try and stay civil so my posts do not get censored. If they are moved, such as the explosives one, I hardly register it, my posts show up in my profile area. No, it's the ones somewhere in the middle of the conversation that made me wonder what was going on, I reread the thread and think to myself, I could of sworn I posted here. Oh, and no, it's not about the post count since I rarely check that, it's mostly to see if it's a software glitch that may need to be looked into, I would hate to see the post database get corrupted and lose the knowledge contained within.

blackthorn
04-10-2016, 02:27 PM
And sometimes truth (as you see it) steps on someone's buddies toes and the post (and perhaps) one or two agreeing with you just vanish from the middle of a thread. But nobody said life was required to be fair.

gray wolf
04-10-2016, 02:32 PM
My recent post about voting machine fraud was removed, NOT MOVED,
but removed off the Planet as in gone.

I don't use the Pit, I asked to be removed from accessing it.

Thing is it was quite a good post, OH/Hum

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2016, 12:23 PM
FYI, In our town, If you only post a link with no text (or very little text) explaining what it is, making it difficult to understand why it was posted in our town. It will be deleted or moved to a more appropriate forum, even if you "think" it should be a good topic for discussion in "our town".

Forum: Our Town
This is the area for general forum Help, Info , Member Prayers and Board Updates. "Our Town" section for our member related issues . New Members please check in here for helpful hints. Off topic/humor/politics goes in off topic, politics. Please put shooting stuff in the shooting areas! Check the Classics and Stickies forum for helpful topics.