PDA

View Full Version : 15/16"-16 Spiral Tap Found and is exceptional

kywoodwrkr
04-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Information only.
One of my ongoing quests is to obtain parts to make a replica 1885 Highwall.
Plans I have(ASSRA) note a barrel thread of 15/16-16.
Found a gentleman on a popular auction site who had "two 15 16 16 spiral taps" listed, and as used.
Contacted seller to ascertain that they would live long enough to tap a couple receivers.
A reply stated that I would be very satisfied, or contact him for fixing any problem experienced.
Long story short, I bought them, they arrived with a note and with an extra straight flute tap.
To say I was satisfied would be a big understatement. They appeared new to me!
So, if you are looking to build a Highwall, or other entity requiring a 15/16-16 tap I will be more than happy to send you directional information. YMMV!
Now then, one item down, 237 more to go!
Thanks.

oldred
04-09-2016, 06:57 PM
I bet I bought from the same guy a few years ago, he is a regular Ebay seller and had the same offer of two of those taps for the ridiculous price, ridiculous cheap that is, of somewhere around $9.99 or some such and listed them as used. Since I only intended to finish chasing after single pointing the threads I figured they would work if they were not to terribly dull and at that price how could I lose? When they arrived I had two of what I am convinced are brand new taps, if they had been used I couldn't tell it!

Now lets get to a more important topic, that Highwall! Scratch built Highwalls are my favorite subject, I have completed two and currently working on two more one of which I intend to build as a muzzleloader. Have you started making chips yet? Are you going to build from scratch or a castings kit? What about caliber, mine are 45/90 and a 22 Magnum with one of the current projects to be another 45/90 but not yet decided on the ML bore if I actually finish such a thing as that.

BTW, I would have given you one of those taps had I known, perhaps some of the other odds&ends I have accumulated might be of some help?

jmorris
04-09-2016, 07:54 PM
We are going to need another thread with lots of photos when you get started.

oldred
04-10-2016, 08:53 AM
We are going to need another thread with lots of photos when you get started.

I suppose it might be too much to hope for but if we could get several folks involved in a community type project such as a Highwall build, there seems to be a LOT of interest in building these rifles, then maybe we could share ideas, etc. Having something like that to follow for encouragement and a group to turn to for help when needed would go a long way toward eliminating the number one cause of uncompleted projects -frustration!

As another builder has pointed out on this forum and a couple of others lots of Highwall projects are started but few are completed, it simply doesn't have to be that way. It would only take a few interested individuals sharing ideas and maybe even a few parts and/or services to make all the difference between success and failure. I really think from talking with folks the interest is there so maybe a bit of encouragement is what's needed? Start a new thread on the subject maybe? What do you think, worth a try or is it just a silly idea?

kywoodwrkr
04-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Oldred, appreciate the tap offer(if I hadn't jumped when I found 2 :veryconfu).
I think the drawings I'm going with, from ASSRA, originated with the folks who made one of the cast kits.
Not doing any cutting or shaping on this project yet. Collecting & cutting stock chunks.(taking 4" dia 3 foot pins and re-sawing on horizontal band saw.)
When I get frustrated with the highwall drawings, I work on some for a Remington RB.(at least have real one handy!)
Same BS with drawings, arcs with out center points. missing dimensions etc. etc.
Do have a solids multi level drawing of the RB receiver though. Year in the making!
I spent 40 years working to others requirements and timelines. Was paid real well, but still a timeline!
Now I'm happy to get up every day and go into my 'Adult day care center' or vocational school and play with what ever machine isn't busy.
Was actually given an old optical comparator the other day-so now have to work logistics of getting it home.
I'd be willing to contribute what ever I can to a group effort or project(s).
Having access to wire EDM makes cutting the breech block slot and breech block itself a doable task.
Can cut the breech block hole using a 4 axis(top wire guide at different xy(reffered to as UV) position than bottom wire guide XY position.
Tested 4 axis cutting logic on some lathe tools for shaping 38 Sp cases base to 38AMU rim configuration.(I referr to this as in the weeds!)
Then had to make a collet to hold brass case! More weeds.
Just got my die holder(7/8-14 & 1 1/4-12 holes) for EDM out last week to work on the 22WMR project again.
Got some long 1/8" drills and have some 4140 round stock for forming dies. Weeds abound!
Working on logical steps to cut the receiver out now as a matter of fact.
Agree that operations might be spread out however and final product accomplished.
Thanks.

oldred
04-10-2016, 05:14 PM
That wire EDM is a major plus for a fact and definitely the way to go for those who have such equipment available but to those who don't this task is still very much doable! In fact I did the first two receivers with just my lathe using a simple home built milling attachment, time and patience is the key here. I hope more folks are interested in doing this, it wouldn't take but a few actual projects at first to help others realize they can indeed do this if they have been dreaming of doing so. I personally would be more than willing to help out with parts and materials and even donate some shop time to anyone seriously interested in doing a build such as this, to me it's a very fulfilling hobby and I wouldn't mind at all helping someone at any stage of the project.

BTW, I am well familiar with that plans set and while it is well detailed and contains everything needed to complete a Highwall be aware there are a couple of serious flaws associated with it. Most notable is the lever as drawn will not work properly and will bind on the breech block upon opening, that same flaw also results in way to much over travel of the link end causing the breech block to drop back slightly after closing resulting in sloppy headspacing. This is not at all a problem if the builder is aware of it ahead of time, simple enough to fix before making parts but a royal PITA if the flaw is discovered AFTER making the lever!