PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating jacketed bullets?

rondog
04-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Has anybody tried powdercoating jacketed bullets to make them a little fatter to better fit a loose barrel? I'd be spraying, not shaking. .44 magnum, fwiw.

Motor
04-09-2016, 06:36 PM
I have not tried it but don't see why it would not work especially at pistol velocity.

Guys do use PC to increase the diameter of their cast bullets. I do this myself for my Finn M39(s) cast boolit sub-sonic ammo.

Motor

C. Latch
04-09-2016, 06:46 PM
First people were removing lube from cast to PC them, now they're PC'ing jacketed bullets.....

Next I expect people to just PC their bores and shoot naked bullets. :bigsmyl2:

Don Fischer
04-09-2016, 09:57 PM
I think I read in here some where that the powder doesn't do well on gas check's. I'd think it wouldn't on jacketed bullet's either.

rondog
04-09-2016, 10:19 PM
The reason I'm asking is to fatten up some JSP's to see if my Winchester likes them better. It seems to do better with slightly larger bullets.

clearcut
04-10-2016, 01:55 AM
I double coat .309's with shake n bake so they fit in 7.65. I gas check after PC on other sizes.

CC

OS OK
04-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Has anybody tried powdercoating jacketed bullets to make them a little fatter to better fit a loose barrel? I'd be spraying, not shaking. .44 magnum, fwiw.

Just how loose, how much do you need to add to the O.D.?
That's not a bad idea, worth trying to get it to be a shooter…why not slug and cast to fit?
With a high quality Clear Hi Gloss…and by tapping my tweezers smartly to knock off any excess clinging PC I have been coating/cast with an increase of .002" to .0028" consistently within the same batches. Not much variation but it is there for sure. This is an O.D. overall measurement increase.
Clean those J-types with acetone first. Pay attention to the cure temp./time.
OS OK

Walter Laich
04-10-2016, 08:30 AM
I find I get a thicker coat BBDT rather than spraying. Just saying...

OS OK
04-10-2016, 08:58 AM
I find I get a thicker coat BBDT rather than spraying. Just saying...

"I've thought this for some time but ain't said nutin before Walt…With that hat you're wearing…it makes a 'friendly' looking picture. Course…everybody's friendly down Texas way…just don't tick-em off…right?"

charlie

mozeppa
04-10-2016, 09:44 AM
First people were removing lube from cast to PC them, now they're PC'ing jacketed bullets.....

Next I expect people to just PC their bores and shoot naked bullets. :bigsmyl2:

too late .....already tried that.:bigsmyl2:

also tried mixing pc powder with molten alloy.... gums up the bottom pour.

Smoke4320
04-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Otis marketed a product for about 2 years to coat your bore. Kind of a ceramic coating. Total flop

runfiverun
04-10-2016, 10:54 AM
I remember that stuff...

I'm gonna take a stab and say we are talking about a model 94 Winchester trapper model which has about 27 lands and grooves in it and would benefit from something like .432+ diameter boolits/bullets.

I have one of these somewhere and have to resort to making 430 diameter soft jacketed bullets to get mine to shoot well.
I use a 2 step system and 40 S&W cases for jackets I had the die made to 430 so my browning 92 could use the same bullets since it has an issue with OAL.
but the softer thinner home made bullets do shoot well.

Wild Bill 7
04-10-2016, 10:03 PM
I powder coated some (shake and bake) 230 fmj's, 6 to be exact. I didn't resize them just loaded with Green Dot and I didn't even log them in my book. They coated well and I just shot them this past Friday at the range. Coated them cause a friend wanted to see if it would work and it did. Probably won't do it again though. Just experimenting. :bigsmyl2:

Maxx
05-12-2016, 10:55 PM
I have just for the fun of it,,,

Dragonheart
05-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Yes we tried coating some plated bullets just to see if if it was possible to fire them at a higher velocity. The coating bonds to the plating, but the bond of the thin plating itself to the core doesn't resist the spinoff at higher pressure, so nothing gained. But just to increase the overall size of a bullet it should work.

Shadow9mm
02-05-2022, 08:04 PM
Would the coating make the bullet more slippery vs the copper? would you get better velocity? I have some berrys 124g .356... I could coat a few and resize to .356 and load them identically and run them over the chrono.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-05-2022, 08:08 PM
Old thread, but my thought was doing it just to reduce copper fouling.

cwlongshot
02-05-2022, 08:53 PM
I have to seat gc on a few bullets BEFORE powder coating. These bullets size fine and PC stays on GC.

I dont see why it would not work on a jacketed. As long as the bullets are clean.

CW

BentSprings
02-05-2022, 11:43 PM
I coat over all of my gaschecks, it sticks just fine even on very mean loads. Why let raw copper touch the bore?

rockrat
02-06-2022, 01:22 AM
I have coated some bullets designed for the 350 legend, so I could shoot them in a 357 max. Did just fine

GregLaROCHE
02-06-2022, 08:50 AM
I think PCing makes sense to increase boolit diameter. There’s know reason I can see that it shouldn’t work on copper jackets as long as they are oil free.
I have heard that some people say PCed boolits are a little faster than plain lead. I don’t recall anyone comparing them to jacketed bullets.

Dragonheart
02-07-2022, 06:14 AM
Of course you can PC copper jackets or any other metal, glass or material that can withstand the curing process. After all, the thermoset polymer was designed for that. The polymer is about the same hardness as copper, has a tenacious bond to the sub-straight, provides less friction than copper and from tests can withstand the torque spin up of 50K psi chamber pressure and 3500+ muzzle velocity.

My question is why coat copper jackets? To gain additional bullet diameter I can see. But would it be worth the time, effort and expense just to gain 5% in velocity or to prevent copper fouling. Additionally, the bullets would need to be resized, which means moving metal, possible creating a less accurate, non-concentric bullet. But whatever floats your boat, as it would be a conversation piece.

Shadow9mm
02-09-2022, 09:12 PM
One reason I was considering this is that I have some Barnes bullets for 44spl that left some wicked copper fouling after less than 10rnds. though PC might fix that problem.

Dragonheart
02-10-2022, 12:46 AM
One reason I was considering this is that I have some Barnes bullets for 44spl that left some wicked copper fouling after less than 10rnds. though PC might fix that problem.

PC will stop the fouling as long as it is coated and cured properly. I would wash the bullets in acetone to remove any oils, then size them down before putting on a heavy PC. then finish size again.
Preheating the bullets under 140° before tumbling will allow a heaver layer of powder or you can do a partial cure for additional coats. Coat the first coat and heat just past the flow about 200°-250° then stop and apply the second coat, repeat for additional coats if desired then do a full cure on the final coat. This allows multiple coats to bond as one. Average rifling is approximately .004" land to groove so a heavy PC is riding the rifling and is tough and elastic enough to not cut through.

GregLaROCHE
02-10-2022, 11:08 PM
Besides saving time and electricity, is it better doing a partial cure for prior to finish coat? Makes sense that it cures all together and not in several layers.

farmbif
02-11-2022, 06:31 PM
I didn't read all of this stuff, but powder coating jacketed bullets is that something people are doing or is it a play on words like Jumbo Shrimp
I would think if your barrel is getting extreme fouling from jacketed bullets maybe lapping it could help or is the gun like one of the Remington built marlins that has rifling only half way down the barrel or something like that due to poor craftsmanship. I dont know much about new guns, ive only had like 4 of them in my life and guess I was lucky they all had good barrels the rest came to me broken in pretty good.

Dragonheart
02-11-2022, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=GregLaROCHE;5353339]Besides saving time and electricity, is it better doing a partial cure for prior to finish coat? Makes sense that it cures all together and not in several layers.[/QU

A partial cure is the recommended way for multi-coats including a top or clear coat. Here is an example of an illusion blue base coat, which just looks blue until the top coat is applied and the color changes dramatically.

oley55
02-14-2022, 10:57 PM
glad I read through the thread and realized this was a 2016 thread because I was going to offer the OP a link to larger than normal ,431" jacketed 44mag bullets at Everglades Ammo.

Three44s
11-24-2022, 08:51 PM
I have about 300 plus 40 gr. Spitzer J-words for the 22 Remington Jet. They are measuring .222-.2225”.

I do not have anything to run them through with that barrel size. I am contemplating powder coating a few and trying them in my .224” bored guns. My first “victim” will likely be a 22 Hornet.

Three44s

mehavey
11-24-2022, 11:31 PM
read in here some where that the powder doesn't do well on gas checks...Works fine.
Just make sure bullets are squeaky clean.

charlie b
11-25-2022, 09:58 AM
Works on gas checks just fine.

Before
After

I also found that gas checks will remove a lot of the copper fouling from jacketed bullets. Discovered this 'by mistake' one day when I fired some jacketed bullets and then some cast (PC with GC). When I shot just jacketed I'd have a good deposit of copper in the barrel. When I went to clean this time there was almost no copper in the barrel.

Three44s
11-25-2022, 01:29 PM
I wonder if the PC is also removing the copper deposits?

Best regards

Three44s

charlie b
11-26-2022, 09:29 AM
I tried that with a plain base, PC bullet and the copper remained.

Three44s
11-26-2022, 12:19 PM
I have two sets of three rounds with the naked J-words .2225” loaded in standard 22 hornet cases to try. I gave them a bit of a crimp.

I will try them in my Savage 40 single shot.

I will probably try a few with powder coating as well just because it’s hard to pass up the challenge!

The intelligent thing would be to put them up for sale or trade ..... but why do things easy?

Three44s

Three44s
05-31-2023, 09:25 AM
I loaded a 10 shot test in the Hornet with .2225” Jet jacketed bullets without PC and the group was not very good at 100 yards. The brass was new PPU and the necks were sized undersize.

Next I PCed about 50 of the same j-words with two coats. They then calipered .2245” (a gain of .002”).

Loaded and fired ten and the PC group tightened about a third overall. So progress.

I did not have acetone so they were unwashed. The coating is a little rough on a few of the slugs so I would probably gain by a good degrease though.

I will say that wearing latex gloves and plucking those tiny slugs out of the plastic BB and powder mix is certainly a test of one’s patience .....

Three44s

Dragonheart
06-01-2023, 01:09 PM
I loaded a 10 shot test in the Hornet with .2225” Jet jacketed bullets without PC and the group was not very good at 100 yards. The brass was new PPU and the necks were sized undersize.

Next I PCed about 50 of the same j-words with two coats. They then calipered .2245” (a gain of .002”).

Loaded and fired ten and the PC group tightened about a third overall. So progress.

I did not have acetone so they were unwashed. The coating is a little rough on a few of the slugs so I would probably gain by a good degrease though.

I will say that wearing latex gloves and plucking those tiny slugs out of the plastic BB and powder mix is certainly a test of one’s patience .....

Three44s

Don't pluck, use some self closing tweezers. A lot faster, more secure and easier to position bullets than fingers. Note, I ground the tweezer tip so it easily grabs the bullets bands. When the tweezers close the bullet is locked in place. I then just drop the bullet in into my SS grid ( a baker's cooling rack) that is sitting on a silicon mat to transport to oven without bullers toppling.

charlie b
06-01-2023, 08:20 PM
I like to add some heat shrink tubing to the ends of the tweezers. There is the shiny kind and the matte kind. The matte kind works better for me.

MarkinMD
06-22-2023, 08:28 PM
I tried PC on j bullets for 357 mag in my Henry big boy. Only did five. Fired over the chronograph and seemed to pick up 50 to 100 FPS with all other things being equal. I did run them through a Lee push sizer just like I would have with a cast boolit. I have not followed up for accuracy and further speed tests to date. I like messing with cast boolits more. Test bullet was Hornady 357 158 gr JHP/FP. At some point, I may follow up with more tests. PC was Eastwood green. Appearance was downright ugly but smooth.