PDA

View Full Version : Resizing shotgun hull primer pockets

Newtire
04-09-2016, 09:20 AM
I see that BPI sells a tool to shrink down oversized shotgun primer pockets. If you just put a little downward pressure on the depriming tool on your MEC 600 jr. and then flatten the base back out in the repriming stage, with a flat metal disc under the shell head, the pocket will now be tight enough for any 209 primer.

This is good for repriming those Cheddite primed .410 hulls that BPI sells after they've been stretched out by the slightly larger Cheddite primers. There are tools made for this that cost $ but not needed.

runfiverun
04-09-2016, 10:01 AM
I take a slightly different approach.
rio, fiocchi, and cheddite brand primers are larger in diameter, they are also cheaper.
so for those last couple of loads I switch primers and the pockets are tight again.

Newtire
04-09-2016, 12:13 PM
I take a slightly different approach.
rio, fiocchi, and cheddite brand primers are larger in diameter, they are also cheaper.
so for those last couple of loads I switch primers and the pockets are tight again.These start out as Cheddite primed hulls-since they are Cheddite hulls primed when you buy them with Cheddite primers already. The pocket sizing makes even those shrink down enough to use a Win or other "normal" sized primer. I, too keep a carton of Cheddites on hand. By the time those resized Cheddites get loose again, you had better start paying attention to their paper basewad separation issues.

I do get my mileage out of those 3" .410 and 3-1/2" 10 gaugers!