PDA

View Full Version : Tc triumph shooting fail

odfairfaxsub
04-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Using the yellow superglide sabots and 200 gr hornady xtps that shot great from my cva, two year old pyrodex loose powder, and federal 209a primers I had a non triumph day. Went from 90 gr to 140 gr trying to find a group but the gun just wouldn't group

figured it was either

superglide sabots not agreeing w barrel
.451 200 gr xtp too light
pyrodex in bad shape (wasn't clumped, stored properly)
primer tooo hot needs toned down

what do you guys recommend I start w?

i tried using reg black powder when I ran out of pyrodex. I swabbed every single shot and will not take advice on your gun needs to be fouled as I'm not in the business of fouling my gun at 5 am before I go hunt. Used to do that but I hate making the noise.

NSB
04-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Red Crush Rib sabot, .451 xtp bullet, Blackhorn209 at 90 grains to start (by volume,not weight). Give the gun a very good cleaning and clean out the vent hole. You've probably got crud build up in the vent hole. This needs to be kept open and at a consistent diameter for uniform flash. If that doesn't work, use the Harvester 3 petal sabot...the thin one.

odfairfaxsub
04-09-2016, 09:59 AM
What weight xtp you suggest? I'll try to be more observant on my flash hole. I'll try to do it every three four shots

odfairfaxsub
04-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Oh another thing I noticed I was cutting pedals occassionally

johnson1942
04-09-2016, 10:13 AM
im sure a lot of combos will work well in your gun. you might want to try a mmp sabot and the shorted 200 or 250 grain .451 pistol bullet you can find. no long pointy ones as that 1/48 twist wont handle them. i know the local ace hardware has lead 200 grain .451 pistol bullets and i shoot them in a mmp sabot and they drive tacks. dont use 140 grains , way too much powder. 70 to 100 grains is plenty enough. after a bullet flattens out and passes through the deer what is point of more speed and power. you gun will drive tacks. have fun.

odfairfaxsub
04-09-2016, 10:20 AM
I thinking have a 1-28 twist I think

OverMax
04-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Different firearm manufactures products.
I highly doubt one loading recipe fits both when it comes to inline shooting. What loading recipe's work well in your Triumph usually are found in its Owners Manual. Straying from such information often requires its shooter to experiment. i.e. Target shooting becomes necessary in hopes to equal or better previously read factory charging's.

NSB
04-09-2016, 11:38 AM
What weight xtp you suggest? I'll try to be more observant on my flash hole. I'll try to do it every three four shots
You don't need to clean it that often. Just check it every nine or ten shots. I believe I mis-stated one sabot...MMP makes the three petal thin one, not Harvester. Blackhorn209 will not give you any crud build-up and you can shoot all afternoon without swabbing between shots. If you're going to use other black powder subs you'll need to swab between each shot for best results.....one wet patch and at least one dry one. Cutting petals doesn't mean squat. That whole theory doesn't hold water. Some of my best loads in my Savage ML2 cuts petals.

Lead Fred
04-09-2016, 11:39 AM
"The more they over take the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain" Mr. Scott

odfairfaxsub
04-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Yeah cut pedals can or may not make sense. I found some intact I found some w not pedals

johnson1942
04-09-2016, 08:20 PM
with a 1/2 twist you can shoot anything from a 250 grain bullet .451 diam to a 400 grain bullet. a real good choise for a 1/28 twist 50 cal is a 400 grain short nosed 45/70 bullet in .458 diam. mmp has a orange colored sabot that holds a .458 bullet. that combo is a tack driver in a gun like yours and hits hard. use between 70 grains of powder to 100 grains of powder. will shoot as good as a 45/70 or 45/90.

koger
04-09-2016, 08:40 PM
I have a TC omega, same twist, about the same rifle. Shooting 95 grains of 2fg black, ML primer by Winchester, and Harvester Crush Rib sabots, with 260grain or 300grain Plastic tip slug, will shoot a ragged hole at 100yds, and 2" at 200yds. No two guns are the same, bore dimensions vary greatly form TC and CVA! Just clean your bore good, and clean with alcohol or acetone before shooting with black powder. My omega, shoots original black powder better than anything else, just getting around to shooting Blackhorn. Pm me if I can be of more assistance, can send you some stuff to try!

Squeeze
04-10-2016, 07:30 AM
I shot a triumph for years. It was always a reliable good shooter. I usually shot something in a 300 grain (always ~.452, but 250+ always worked) Using either an MMP HPH-24, or a harvester crush rib. Winchester shotgun primers (w209) and 80-110 powder of choice, would reliably shoot MOA to 200 at least. Most of the Muzzleloading learning curve is learning how, when, and with what to clean. Each rifle, and powder combination requires a slightly different technique. Some clean with water, some require an oil. Some are more prone to wick moisture, and require more diligent drying of swabbing moisture. Some are non hydroscopic, (moisture wicking) require little to no barrel attention, but quickly foul up a breechplug or flame channel, necessitating routine maintenance of the plug, while nearly nothing done in the barrel is required. All powders have a place, and a market. Its as much what you shoot, as what you are shooting it from that dictates shot/reload routine.

koger
04-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Sounds like Squeeze and I are on the same page, I like 250 up also, and I swab with a damp patch or spit patch between shots.

odfairfaxsub
04-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Yup my next big changes are

non mag style primer
240-275 gr bullet
brand new pound of pyro

thing that'll stay same

gun
pyrodex
superglide sabots
shooter

see how it goes. I had a cva that shot the 200 gr great. Wish it shot these. Maybe if I backed off the powder they would but no one really has luck w them

i have a rituial of Magic cleaner patch up and down 3 times and dry patch up and down 3 times every shot

C. Latch
04-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I may have missed it but I don't see a single post that hits on your most likely problem:

Fit.

Sabots do best when loaded tightly. Slug your bore, find a sabot combo that is relatively difficult to load, and go from there.

Squeeze
04-11-2016, 06:24 AM
TC has a tight bore. the HPH 24, and the crush ribs are some of the thinnest wall sabots available.

odfairfaxsub
04-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Without providing hard facts of bore dia I can tell you that my cva was loose comp to the triumph and it shot the superglide/.451 200 gr great. It doesn't necessarily mean jack but it's strange how the combo to me didn't produce even something I could just live w. I think advice on heavier bullet is a step in right direction.

if heavier bullet doesn't produce result then the advice on crush rib sabots is another step in a good direction

C. Latch
04-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Without providing hard facts of bore dia I can tell you that my cva was loose comp to the triumph and it shot the superglide/.451 200 gr great. It doesn't necessarily mean jack but it's strange how the combo to me didn't produce even something I could just live w. I think advice on heavier bullet is a step in right direction.

if heavier bullet doesn't produce result then the advice on crush rib sabots is another step in a good direction

My next step would be to try some MMP sabots. They are available in a couple of slightly different thicknesses; if I were you I'd start with the standard thickness sabot, and a 250-300 grain Hornady XTP or SST bullet. That combo should be pretty forgiving of powder charge variations.

odfairfaxsub
04-11-2016, 09:11 AM
That sounds like a great idea.

maybe keep those loads w those sabots at 100gr consistent and see which one shoots better w the mmp if superglides prove unworthy

Sharpsman
04-12-2016, 01:03 AM
Switch to a patched round ball!

odfairfaxsub
04-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Lol who knows, might just turn a 550 dollar muzzleloading set up into a gallery gun poofing rb's in my back yard w a dash of powder. Killed a deer one time w 50gr of pyro and a powerbelt when I couldn't find my powder measure and just filled my flask spout two times and loaded up