PDA

View Full Version : Removing a ding from the muzzle of a smoothbore slug barrel

rtracy2001
04-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Looks like my move was rough on my Browning Auto 5 slug barrel. There is a very small ding right at the muzzle. I called a local friend and fellow gun nut to find a Smith to check it out and fix it as necessary, but it seems there is no one local that is up to the task.

The ding is small, almost unnoticeable except for the scuffed blueing, but when I look at it, it seems to me that the muzzle might be out of round.

Is this a take it out and see how it shoots problem or do I need to fix it first?

How would a person go about fixing something like this?

Suggestions?

rancher1913
04-09-2016, 09:28 AM
if you have some pin guages you might run one down the barrel and see if its out of round. even a bolt with the head cut off that fits somewhat snug would tell you if the barrel is round. barrels are fairly tough and if you can barely see the mark on the outside, the inside is most likely good.

country gent
04-09-2016, 09:51 AM
A snap gage in the size range would allow you to measure muzzle 90* to see if its out of round and by how much. These go in set snug to hold on an angle and are rocked thru to oppisite angle. Then measured with a michrometer. The ding can be removed from the muzzle with a brass ball and lapping compund.