PDA

View Full Version : 500 gr Round Nose Bullets

Biggs300
04-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Recently, I ordered some 500 grain .459 cast, RN Bullets from a reputable company for reloading in a Sharps 45-70. I was planning to use Accurate 5744 smokeless powder with these heavier bullets. I got them yesterday and begin inspecting them today. Since they will be the heaviest cast bullet that I have loaded, I looked at them carefully and noticed that the nose on some of the bullets looked a bit thicker than others so, I begin weighing the bullets. After weighing about 30 or so of the 100 bullets purchased, I was shocked to find that the bullets weighed anywhere from 519 to over 525 grains. I ordered the bullets (un-lubed) and was told that they would not need resizing and that all I would have to do is lube them.

Over the years, I have ordered several hundred lubed, 405 grain GC cast bullets from two different companies for another 45-70 rifle. They have all been within 1 to 3 grains of weighing 405 grains and I can certainly live with this slight deviation. I'm really hoping that this was a mistake in the order but even if that is the case, the 5 to 6 grain difference seems abnormal. I am purposely not mentioning the company's name as I plan to contact them next week. Unknowingly reloading 500 grain bullets that actually weigh as much 525 grains could have presented some problems. I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever experience this when ordering cast bullets.

country gent
04-08-2016, 10:17 PM
I have seen production cast bullets with voids and wrinkles. Some that were supposed to be lubed with voids and missing lube. Some depends on the company and their quality control. I once opened what was labeled .358 148 grn wadcutters and found .356 125 grn round nose in the box. This was a top name cast bullet supplier bought from a big name store chain.

runfiverun
04-09-2016, 12:08 AM
in the scheme of things a 6 gr spread over a five hundred grain boolit is in the 1% area.
much of it could be in the sprue bump.

Biggs300
04-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your responses. I guess my main concern is that I ordered 500 grain .459 bullets but they are all weighed-out in the 520 grain range. Also, I brought out the calipers and the sampling that I measured were .460. That, I can live with but I still question the + or - 20 grain weight difference. Thanks again!

44MAG#1
04-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Being cautious and over thinking is two different things.
Are you using max loads for the gun you are using?
Will the seating depth be the same for all loads?
Will you be testing for accuracy or striving for a general blasting load?
Just load some and try them if not using a max load and it is doubtful that that weight variance could even be detected without a pressure gun.
Just think about the variation in lots of powder and primers and that weight variation will pale.

runfiverun
04-09-2016, 09:48 AM
that 20grs most likely isn't the casters fault it's just a normal variance in mold making.
I don't think I have an off the shelf production mold that really comes into it's specified weight.
if I was buying from them regularly and suddenly got a batch that was 20grs heavier I would definitely question what was up.

Biggs300
04-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Again, thanks to all for your help and responses. I believe you are all correct. I emailed the company and received a prompt response. The bullets weigh more because they were cast at 12 BHN, rather than the higher alloy content of hard cast bullets so, it indeed was not the caster's fault. I will be reloading the bullets for a Pedersoli 1877 Sharps 45/70 (Lyman Model of 1878) and will be using AA 5744 at trapdoor velocities/pressure, well below the maximums listed in the Lyman 49th. I just got the rifle in today and got it cleaned up and ready to go. It is a retirement gift from my wife.

MT Chambers
04-09-2016, 04:04 PM
The heavier weight is from softer alloy, don't forget that 1% variation on a 100 gr. bullet is just 1 grain, on a 500grainer it is 5 grs.

Biggs300
04-09-2016, 08:53 PM
MT Chambers and Runfiverun, thanks for putting the weight difference into perspective. I am anxious to get started reloading for the new rifle.

44man
04-10-2016, 08:16 AM
You are indeed a lucky fella! That is a fine rifle, my friend Pete has one and it is a real shooter.
I believe they put a slight choke in the barrels so they tighten at the muzzle.
It is true softer lead will be heavier, don't worry about it too much, only the variation is large but I doubt it will be a problem.