PDA

View Full Version : Different point of impact with different lubes

spfd1903
04-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Same boolit, NOE 403-200-LFN, same powder, brass and primers. Half were lubed with LBT soft Blue, and half were lubed with two coats of Ben's liquid lube. Fired from a Glock 20 at 30 feet, the group size was the same. The POI for the LBT lubed boolits was 2" higher than the BLL. The liquid lubed boolits hit exactly where I was aiming. I don't understand what phenomenon is going on between the two lubes.

C. Latch
04-08-2016, 07:53 PM
2" at 30 feet is 20 minutes of elevation difference.

I'd run that test again.

runfiverun
04-08-2016, 07:58 PM
flow of the waxes and the oil dump.
lbt blue has mineral oil in it controlled by a stearate and bound up in a Bees-wax, wax base.

Bens LL is not really an oil based lube.
it's more wax [yeah a mineral oil wax] dependent, and the flow of the wax occurs at a totally different time.
the flow temp of the two waxes is about 30-40-f different and one goes to flowing quickly, and when it goes it all goes .
the other uses the oil to lay down a core condition and the wax flows later in the sequence.

aephilli822
04-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Same boolit, NOE 403-200-LFN, same powder, brass and primers. Half were lubed with LBT soft Blue, and half were lubed with two coats of Ben's liquid lube. Fired from a Glock 20 at 30 feet, the group size was the same. The POI for the LBT lubed boolits was 2" higher than the BLL. The liquid lubed boolits hit exactly where I was aiming. I don't understand what phenomenon is going on between the two lubes.

BLL is "slicker" so less time in barrel, leaves barrel lower in recoil arc, so impacts lower on target?

40Super
04-10-2016, 12:01 AM
When I was playing with multiple lubes trying to find a "best" for my use , it was common to have POI move around on target with everything else the same. I tested at 25yrds , but 2" was not unheard of . Depends on bore length, roughness/smoothness , boolit to bore fit ,ect...

gunarea
04-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Hey spfd1903
Run that same test through a chrono and likely your answer will come out.
Roy

spfd1903
04-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Hey spfd1903
Run that same test through a chrono and likely your answer will come out.
Roy
Don't own a chrono. R5R gave me the answer I was looking for as to what was happening in the barrel. I have always seen variables in boolit performance based on the lube, but not as dramatic as in this 10 mm. One batch of ammo with AA#9 had a very tight group with LBT, the same powder load looked like it was from a .410 with the BLL. Using AA#7 as a load, the opposite worked out: BLL awesome, LBT .410 pattern. Loaded enough of these combos that they were not one time flukes.

cbashooter
04-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Sometimes even changing the amount of lube will vary the impact quite a bit. I experienced it in a very accurate Remington 40x in 30BR. Also depending on what lube do you use first may or may not affect the point of impact.

Shiloh
04-29-2016, 09:45 AM
2" at 30 feet is 20 minutes of elevation difference.

I'd run that test again.

Absolutely.

Shiloh

mdi
04-29-2016, 03:11 PM
When you change a component, any component, you have changed the dynamics of the round. Different components equal different results (even if very slight, and some changes may result in drastic differences). I can't break down the lube by component and explain what each adds or subtracts, or how it differs than another lube, but I'm sure there will be different results, as you experienced...