PDA

View Full Version : C Sharps 1885 High Wall

NickSS
05-08-2008, 04:49 AM
I just acquired in a trade an 1885 high wall made by C. Sharps of Big Timber Montana. The rifle was in new condition and did not appear to have been fired when I traded it from a guy who also got it in a trade. I took it to the range to test fire it and found that the fired cases stuck in the chamber. Careful examination of the cases and the chamber showed that the chamber was reamed below minimum specs and was way too tight.

I called up C. Sharps and they said to send them the rifle. I sent it to them and when I got it back about a week and a half later the chamber was fixed. I took it to the range yesterday and fired some of the same ammo I tried in it the first time. This ammo is RP 45-70 shells sized to fit the 40-65 chamber of my rifle. They were loaded with 55 gr of GOEX FFG. a milk carton wad and a 300 gr RCBS CSA bullet and a Winchester LRP. It took me several shots to get centered on target. I then wipped the bore and proceeded to shoot a 10 shot group. I was firing at 100 yards off a barrel rest. The first group went into 2 inches. I was pleased with this first group but felt I could do better as 7 of the 10 shots were in one ragged hole and the other 3 opened the group up. So I talked to myself and bore down with my shooting for the second group and ended up with a 1.25 in center to center group all in the X ring of a 25 yard pistol target at 100 yards. It was one of the tightest groups I have ever fired with iron sights. I am really pleased with my new toy and it just might end up being my primary silhouette rifle.

Razor
05-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Congratulations.. sounds like a keeper.

Photos ?? Pictures ??

Razor

MT Gianni
05-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Nice going. I swing by their shop and buy scrap peices of walnut for next to nothing. They make good knife handles and are pleasant people. Gianni

Dale53
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a C. Sharps 1875 Silhouette rifle and it is a FINE shooter. Those Badger barrels are as good as it gets (C. Sharps uses Badger barrels).

Dale53

Black Prince
05-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Nick

Sounds like you have a keeper. Good on you. My Browning Hi Wall BPCR also has the Badger barrel and it shoots very well indeed as has every Badger barrel I've ever seen. You should have a fine shooter there, and I wish you all the best with it.

But Nick, you are going to have to tighten up. A lousy 1.25 inch group? I can't even see 1.25 inches at 100 yards you sorry rascal. You just did that to embarrass me.:)

If you are going to brag like that around here, the least you could do is give us a gift certificate to McDonalds so we don't feel so bad about our own shooting. I could use a happy meal about now.

I tell ya fellas, some of these guys have no couth!!!

EDK
05-11-2008, 09:23 AM
C. SHARPS doesn't have the web site and enthusiastic fans that SHILOH SHARPS does. They have quality products, but they need to work on public relations more. I stop by SHILOH and C. SHARPS both on the way to the Quigley shoot--OK; it's a couple hundred miles off the direct route!--and load up at their stores. C. SHARPS has a nice display room and tons of books and acccessories. The owners at both are great people and make you feel like family.

More people need to tell or hear about GOOD customer service from the manufacturers.

You have an excellent rifle and in one of the more popular silhouette chamberings...lot of components and reloading equipment available. (The accessory situation isn't near as good for my 50/90!)

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

zampilot
05-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I found a C.Sharps 1885, new in box, during a pawn shop crawl. Now I'll shoot it when I get confidence in my BP loads (with cast boolits) and shooting via an IAB Sharps, all new to me and a pleasant addiction......I mean hobby!

kodiak1
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
NickSS Acouple of pic's would be nice.

Sounds like you traded a okay.

Ken.