PDA

View Full Version : Which Dillon do I need?

koger
04-08-2016, 01:50 PM
I have decided to buy a Dillon, either Square deal or 550. The 550 can use my regular dies, which I have for everything I load for, some I don't, but 50 sets or so. I am mainly needing to use whichever one I buy, for loading pistol ammo, .38/357, 9mm. 45 colt and 44mag/44 special. Since I already have dies, the 550 seems like the sensible thing to do, would cost less to switch calibers, etc. I could sell my regular dies, and buy the Dillon turret set up to change, recouping part of the money that way. I am a accuracy nut, so rifle loading on a progressive does not seem feasible, since you would have to measure/trim rifle brass before loading. I usually load my rifle ammo, in 50 or 100ct lots.
Also, what extra besides primer pickup tubes do I need to buy when getting a Dillon progressive, in one caliber to start with. Give me some feedback guys, never been steered wrong on this forum!

M-Tecs
04-08-2016, 02:15 PM
You are selling the 550 short if you believe that accurate rifle loading on the 550 is not feasible. The US Palma team, David Tubb and many others load their long range ammo on a 550. I prefer a full progressive so I run 650's and 1050's. Mostly I shoot NRA Long Range and prairie dogs. It may take a little tuning but a properly tuned Dillon progressive will equal the best single station presses.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-08-2016, 02:31 PM
The Dillon 550 requires a 7/8 - 14 die with a relatively long thread length. I found some of my dies by makers other than Dillon did not have enough thread length to use the die lock ring, not all dies, but some. Your current dies may or may not work.

alleyoop
04-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Personally I'd choose the 550 over the Square deal, also have to concur with M-Tecs on the capabilities of the 550 for accurate rifle loads.
The Dillon 550 requires a 7/8 - 14 die with a relatively long thread length. I found some of my dies by makers other than Dillon did not have enough thread length to use the die lock ring, not all dies, but some. Your current dies may or may not work.

What I have found is the lock ring may need to go below the tool head instead of on top as it's normally done.

lefty o
04-08-2016, 02:51 PM
if you only wanted to load 1 pistol cartridge, the SDB would be a great choice. for what you want id go with the 550.

Mytmousemalibu
04-08-2016, 03:01 PM
I don't have either, I have a 650 as I wanted to go fully progressive but in your shoes I would go with the 550. That is a legendary machine! You can load about anything you want on it and as you mentioned, can use your dies and can do rifle if you change your mind! The SDB is a nice little budget friendly machine but you are more limited in versatility. I recently picked up a kit off ebay that a guy makes to turn the 650 into a single stage. Pretty sure he makes them for the 550 also so the press can double as a monsterous single stage.

If you can spring for it, the 650 is a sweet, sweet machine! My only regret is not getting it sooner!

dverna
04-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Personally I'd choose the 550 over the Square deal, also have to concur with M-Tecs on the capabilities of the 550 for accurate rifle loads.

What I have found is the lock ring may need to go below the tool head instead of on top as it's normally done.

Agree completely. I have owned them all. Get a 550

Dragonheart
04-08-2016, 05:14 PM
I agree the 550.

seagiant
04-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Hi,
I agree the Dillon RL-300!!!

daboone
04-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Forster and Redding dies all work with the 550B. The Lee dies are at the end of their threads but still work no problem.

Walter Laich
04-08-2016, 07:26 PM
I have 4 SDBs gathered over a 40 year period. I find them easy to work on and they do what I want. That being said I think, given your current dies the 550 or 650 would be a better choice.

r1kk1
04-08-2016, 07:32 PM

Besides Lee what other die maker has short threads? I use Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Ch4D and RCBS in mine no problem.

take care

r1kk1

Gunslinger1911
04-08-2016, 08:32 PM
I don't think much of anyone has ever regretted a 550 - unless they really wanted a 650.

Some setup's with Lee dies are short, I have gotten by with flipping the lock ring. Never thought of going under the die plate as mentioned above.

wlkjr
04-08-2016, 08:38 PM
If you can afford the extra, get a 650 and you'll be set. I found one used and it was my first press. In case you can't afford the extra, by all means get a 550.

Petrol & Powder
04-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Another vote for the 550.

I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on one and it is a solid machine. I actually prefer it over the 650.

koehlerrk
04-08-2016, 08:49 PM
I have an SDB, excellent machine but it has a few things to consider.

1. Dies for the SDB only fit the SDB. The only caliber choices come from Dillon, so you are limited to popular straight wall pistol rounds.

2. No case feeder, no bullet feeder available. Sure, I can do 300-400 rounds in an hour, but I can't maintain that pace. Neighbor has a decked out 650 and he can hold 400-500 until he runs out of components.

The SDB is a great machine, not sure I'd ever part with it. But if I had to do it again, I'd get a 650.

Budzilla 19
04-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Get the 550, you will NEVER regret it!!! As far as accurate rounds go, a properly tuned 500 will do as well as a single stage press!
I have both 550 and SDB's but for your needs, my recommendation is for a 550. Can always upgrade. Just my .02.

M-Tecs
04-08-2016, 09:14 PM
I purchased my first 450 when they came out. Same for the 550's ,however, when the 650 came out it was love at first sight. The 450 and the 550's went on the auction block. I don't regret getting the 550's but after the 650's came out I never want to go back to a 550.

jeff423
04-08-2016, 09:28 PM
I have dies made by Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, and Lyman and they all work with the Dillon tool plates.

sparky45
04-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Easy remedy to that problem is to place the lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead.

runfiverun
04-08-2016, 09:44 PM
I have 4 550's
and one 650.
the cover looks nice on the 650.

I use mostly LEE carbide size dies on the 550's no problems.

CHeatermk3
04-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Another vote for the 550. Never encountered a lock-ring problem--I use the Dillon rings they are thinner than what you get from Lyman-RCBS-Lee and don't need set screws.
I've done many thousands of 223, 204 Ruger and 308W on mine. For rounds that may be used in different rifles I F/L size all on my Rockchucker then tumble and then do the rest on the Dillon.

Good enuff for varmint/PD work!

wv109323
04-08-2016, 10:45 PM
It is true you need to size and trim rifle cases before loading them on the 550B. But you do that on a single stage press also. With the 550B you can can remove the sizing die and just prime the already sized and trimmed cases. Second stage you can use dropped charges from the Dillon powder measure (or add another brand PM with powder tube and adapter). Also you can add a funnel and pour weighed powder charges in the case. Bullet seating is the same as a single stage press on the third case.
To an earlier poster_ Does David Tubb use dropped or weighed powder charges?

M-Tecs
04-09-2016, 12:32 AM
It
To an earlier poster_ Does David Tubb use dropped or weighed powder charges?

For the long yardage he used a Prometheus scale. I don't believe these are made anymore. I don't know what he does for short yardage. I haven't spoke with him in five or six years so my info may be dated.

rbt50
04-09-2016, 12:48 AM
get the 550. I have both 550 and 650 and hardly ever use the 650.

triggerhappy243
04-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Just my 3 cents, For pistol, I have the 550B, If loading rifle using stick powders, I hand weigh...and load on a rock chucker. just anal about accuracy.

CraigOK
04-09-2016, 02:13 AM
I love my 550, I dont desire a 650 and would only do the sdb presses if I was going to have one for each caliber

odis
04-09-2016, 09:27 AM
I've never used any other Progressive but my SD, I bought it back in the mid 80s and have dies and tool heads for 4 different calibers. I have 2 powder systems each dedicated to large or light carges and 2 primer systems. I have sent it back twice since I bought it and Dillon has been exemplary in their service. All that said I have wished for years that I had bought the 550B, mainly because it is a manual advance system. I would buy the 550B if I were you.

W.R.Buchanan
04-09-2016, 01:51 PM
I have 2 SDB's and a 550B that a friend gave me a while back. I have enough dies and tool plates to set up the 550 to do what the SDB's are set up to do. .40S&W and .45 ACP. So it will take over those operations and the SDB's will go down the road easily for more than I paid for them.

I load mainly .223's on the 550 now but intend to set it up for everything as I already have dies for everything. If you already have dies then all that is needed is a Powder Funnel for each cartridge and the shell plate,,, and then you can change out tool heads to any other cartridge as needed. If you want to use weighed charges then you get the little Dillon Funnel that fits atop the powder die, and use the press as a 4 Station Turret Press.

One thing to consider here when talking this accuracy thing, is that accuracy when loading is almost completely defined by the way the bullet is seated, it is the one step that really makes the difference. And that is controlled completely by the Seating Die,,, Not the Press. As long as the die indexes the cartridge case in a concentric manner and has a decent fit the die will shove the bullet into the case strait. You could do it in a vice if you had to, but the press is only the method used to impart motion to the system. Lee Loaders use a Mallet!, and they make pretty good ammo.

The 550B is actually a 4 Station Turret Press where the cartridge cases are moved instead of the dies. The BL550 is the stripped version of the 550B press and is exactly that,,, a 4 Station Turret Press.

Accuracy is not achieved by "worrying" individual cartridges together. It is achieved by using the correct tools,,, correctly. Speed is not an issue unless it causes you to make mistakes. You can make the same mistakes on a Single Stage Press, it just takes more effort..

You can also use a Strait Line Seating Die like a Vickerman or RCBS Competition Seating Die in the 550 Tool Head to insure accurate bullet seating.

The Dillon 550 B is without a doubt the most versatile Reloading Press out there with the possible exception of most decent Single Stage Presses. You actually need both and then you're set up for life.

Randy

Echd
04-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I have had SDBs, 550s, and 650... I only have the 650 now. If you are willing to put out the money for a toolhead for each and a powder measure for large and small bars (I only use two measures) it's hard to beat it. I also use a bullet feeder, which the 550 does not easily accommodate.

Dragonheart
04-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Randy is right you don't need a single stage press to turn out quality ammo and you can turn out bad ammo with anything.

Dies make a big difference that is the reason I use Dillon & Redding dies. I use a Redding Micrometer Seating die for all my calibers. I found the Dillon dies size a little further down on the case and tend to eliminate the bulge that my RCBS dies couldn't take out of straight walled pistol cases.

I ran two 550's for years, now I run two 650's. The big difference is the 650 gives you more production with less effort, is a little stronger press, has an extra station, which allows for a powder check for safer loading and the case feeder works with all standard rifle & handgun cartridges. For the extra money the 650 is the way to go, but the 550 is a good press.

rockrat
04-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Sometimes I run out of thread on the Lee dies, but I just use some teflon pipe tape on the threads. Seems to stay in place

jmorris
04-09-2016, 06:47 PM

Put the lock ring on the bottom (under the tool head), it works and doesn't cost a penny.

I have all of the Dillon's they all have things I like about them vs the others. I guess if I had to pick between the SD and 550 for all of my loading, that would be pretty easy, it would be the 550.

steelworker
04-11-2016, 06:13 AM
I'm sure you realize, but, with the 550 you do have to buy the caliber specific shellplate. You can buy individual parts from Dillon, or you can buy the complete caliber conversion kit from anyone like grafs. That being said, I'd still buy the 550 over the sdb.

dudel
04-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Since you already have the dies, go with the 550.

The Square Deal press is a nice press; but it uses non standard Dillon dies which you need to get to load everything you currently load. The No BS warranty applies to both.

dudel
04-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Besides Lee what other die maker has short threads? I use Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Ch4D and RCBS in mine no problem.

take care

r1kk1

Only Lee that I've found. The problem is not insurmountable; you just set the lock ring UNDER the tool head. The smaller Dillon lock rings work great there.

GONRA
04-15-2016, 05:42 PM
GONRA's happy with a Dillon 650 for loading 9mm and .45 ACP fun gun ammo.
Have dies for other calibers, but plan to do "case prep" separately for necked rifle cartridges
to avoid beating up the Dillon whilst resizing AND
almost certainly resizing to a better headspace uniformity spec.

jmorris
04-15-2016, 06:14 PM
650's are nice for case prep, one tool head with size/deprime and trim (over 1000/hr) and another for loading. The 1050 is even better to have if the primer pockets need to be swaged.

376Steyr
04-15-2016, 06:16 PM
The OP also asked what else he should buy aside from primer pickup tubes. I say after you buy the 550, get some extra tool heads. It is ever so nice to have a set of dies already adjusted in a tool head when it is time to change calibers. Also, I generally use two heads for each pistol caliber I own: One set up with a sizer die and a Lyman "M" expander die so I can produce gobs of sized, primed, and expanded cases to store for later use, and the other with the Dillon powder measure, a seater, and a crimp die for filling the cases.

jmorris
04-15-2016, 06:35 PM
650's are nice for case prep, one tool head with size/deprime and trim (over 1000/hr) and another for loading. The 1050 is even better to have if the primer pockets need to be swaged.

Dragonheart
04-16-2016, 10:50 AM
My 650's handle rifle cartridges with no problems as the 650 is a stronger press. However, my largest caliber now is a 30/06, as I got tierd of getting battered with larger calibers I didn't need.

Rifle case prep is just a matter of getting your sizing die set properly, for that a Dillon case gauge is mandatory. If you do a lot of cases the Dillon trimmer works great, especially considering the case feeder is dropping them faster than you can size and trim. If you turn necks, chamfer, deburr the flash hole, uniform the primer pocket, etc. those are off press functions regardless.

As for progressive loading the extra station allows for a powder check, making the 650 a safer press or you can use the extra station for a bullet feeder, which really speeds up handgun cartridge production. I think the Dillon 650 is the best press on the market for a high quality fast progressive press at a reasonable price point, but not everybody needs the speed.