PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 Slufoot encore barrel

ourway77
04-08-2016, 10:23 AM
I have several smoke less 45-70 muzzle loaders They started out as 45-70 1-20 twist I had breech plugs installed. I have never tried cast bullets w/o sabots but do shoot 45 caliber pistol bullet with great accuracy I wonder what cast bullet would work in these rifles say around 250-300 grain bullets and what kind of accuracy can I expect

oldred
04-09-2016, 08:50 AM
I can't help with the bullet question but I would be extremely interested in hearing about those conversions, what kind of cap or primer is used, etc. I have been toying with the idea of a ML Highwall for a couple of years now and even have a project on the back burner waiting on the spring farm chores to get caught up, I have a couple of ideas in mind but a description of actual working rifles and maybe a pic or two would be great!

wgr
04-14-2016, 08:23 AM
just thread the breech make a breech plug drill the back to take a 209 primer. make the plug long enough to fill the chamber out to the rifling

Tatume
04-15-2016, 07:27 AM
"Slufoot" over on the Doug's smokeless muzzleloader forum did mine for $100. I had to purchase the Savage breechplug and send it with the barrel. He does not have an FFL, and so only works on barrels (not, for example, a Ruger #1 or 1885 rifle). He also did one for my brother. Both were returned very quickly, less than a week. Both are very accurate. My brother's rifle is an Encore, mine is an H&R.