PDA

View Full Version : Dating a Hepburn

Oldeyes
05-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Every now and again I rummage thru the closet, shuffling the junk around to see what project I want to tackle next. My Remington Hepburn has been neglected for many years while I tinker with my milsurps, but someday soon I may get around to some load developement.... in the next year or five, depending on mood. In the meantime it is good for a fond carress now and again.
I have always wondered when this rifle was made but have never seen any serial number data for the model. This one is a 26" barrel plain-Jane sporter model marked "E Remington and Sons, Ilion, NY", and was originally in 32-30 Remington, serial number in the low 6000 range. When I got it 30 years ago the bore was a sewer pipe so I had Richard Hoch rebore it to 38-55 and cut a matching bullet mold. As I recall it shot quite well, but I never had the time or patience to really tweek the load for best results, and yes, I do get a few guilt twinges for letting such a gem sit idle for so long...
But back to the original question, how can I approximate the manufacture date?
Thanks for any tips!

floodgate
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Oldeyes:

There is a Remington Collectors Group - the Remington Society of America - at <www.remingtonsociety.com/>; they should be able to help date your "Hotbox".

Floodgate

StrawHat
05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Okay, my first thought was a tell all about Kate or Audrey.

Neither one could be called a plain jane.

Never mind.

Oldeyes
05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeh, I knew I was laying myself wide open to the "flowers and chocolates" response, been there/done that myself :)
I prefer Kate....

Yo Floodgate, Thanks for the tip on the Remington Society, I'll give it a try!