PDA

View Full Version : A 1868 Trapdoor Springfield is reborn!

bruce drake
04-07-2016, 10:45 PM
I received this pile of parts from fellow forum member Dragonrider last fall after he decided he had way too many projects in the fire and this one had been stalled too long. He had disassembled a 1868 Trapdoor Springfield in 50/70 that had a very rough/rotten stock and some heavy rust issues. He had gotten all the parts sandblasted clean and had 86'ed the rotten stock and then the project had sat until he decided to let me take a shot at it.165652 So this was the pile of parts plus a barreled reciever that came in the mail last fall.

And then I found a crappy old Springfield stock with no buttplate in a Ebay auction this winter and put everything together in the white to see it the rifle could safely be fired. It definitely fired and was a shooter. I was using 36gr of Pyrodex over a 50 caliber sabot and a 240gr .45 caliber bullet at the time and it shot a 4" group at 50 yards in that crappy stock. If it could fire that well with an oddball loading, I think it will shoot a lot better when its stoked with a properly loaded bullet and powder load.

And then Waksupi posted on this forum about his recent completely custom rebuild of a Springfield Trapdoor in the Special Projects forum (If you haven't read the thread, you really should go find and it commission him to do the same quality work for you) from a movie prop gun that he had rescued sometime in the past. It had been converted into a fake Juzeil-styled rifle with brass barrel-bands and a Arabesque buttstock and with age it had lost its gold painted curlique decorations on the buttstock.

I quickly reached to him to see if he thought the now discarded stock was reasonable for a project piece such as mine. He said it was rough and ugly but serviceable. So with that, I told him, I wanted serviceable first and after that, I'd get it to look pretty enough... to kill a deer...(I know I'll never match Waksupi's work with my own at this point)

And with a internet handshake, we sent payment and stock into the US mail. He sent the stock last week and the day after he put the stock in the mail from Montana, I was able to put payment in the mail from Indiana. The envelope and package crossed each other in the mail system. I got the stock on Saturday morning and he got the payment on Monday. Honor of course dictated that I not touch Waksupi's stock until the payment arrived and it rested in the workshop over the weekend with the rest of the bare metal parts.

Monday night I proceeded to strip down the old finish and paintwork from the propmaster's assistant from the Gunga Din movie of 1939... and started the cold-bluing process on the metal work that Dragonrider sent me last fall...I learned that the stock before it became an Arab fighter's wet dream was an 1886 Trapdoor stock with the very clean cartouche stamp of 1889 and the Springfield Arms Inspector's initials of the time SWP - Samuel W. Porter, the Master Inspector of the Armory. Tuesday night, I proceeded to start the process of restaining the stock to the original walnut color.

And tonight I put her all together. Before I put her together, I knew that my barrel was 27" in length which means at one time it had been shortened due to a bulged barrel and the front sight had been brazed back onto the shorter barrel...So with that, out came the coping saw and sharpened blades to cut back and thin down the front of the stock to fit the cast-iron end cap on Tuesday prior to the staining.

And now its all together. first coat of stain and first coat of cold-blue but the more the better over time.
Next on the list is a trip to the range to see how it shoots as well as cutting, trimming and shaping a replacement brass barrel band, indian-style copper round-head nail decorations and a new front sling swivel in the manner of the old Mosin-Nagant 91/30s

Bruce

35 shooter
04-07-2016, 11:49 PM
That is one very unique Trapdoor. Actually a very cool looking rifle.

waksupi
04-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Heck, that looks 100% better already than how it started!

taco650
04-08-2016, 11:01 AM
I find this sort of story very appealing. A while back I saw in a gun store called "AR bunker" (guess why LOL!) a trapdoor that said it was 50-70 caliber. I didn't realize Springfield made them in 50-70 so I thought it was mis-labeled. Guess I was wrong! Have fun with your new rifle and if you get a deer with it this fall, please share the results.

Taco

StrawHat
04-09-2016, 07:42 AM
...I didn't realize Springfield made them in 50-70 so I thought it was mis-labeled ... Taco

The first trapdoor models (Model 1865) were cut for the 58 rimfire. The Model 1866, 1868 and 1870 were all chambered in 50-70. It wasn't until 1873 that the gov't decided to go with a small bore.

Kevin

Ballistics in Scotland
04-09-2016, 08:25 AM
All's well that ends well, and most of us would think originality is worth a little trouble. But there aren't enough Waksupis to go around, and others might want to consider the stock available from S&S firearms. If my straight-pull Lee Navy had a worthwhile bore, I would go for one for it.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GS152

StrawHat
04-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Here is an 1866 barreled action that I let into a copy of the 1841 Mississippi Rifle stock and utilized the lock and small parts to make into a shooting rifle.

Not everyone's cup of tea, until they see it at the range.

Kevin

LIMPINGJ
04-09-2016, 11:45 AM
That will get some looks when you go to the range.

PaulG67
04-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Well done Bruce, Happy you got it shootin.

bruce drake
04-10-2016, 02:31 AM
I've replaced the well worn buttstock and added an inch to the Length Of Pull. I'll be adding a metal buttplate to the rifle once I cut it to shape. I decided to go with a shotgun butt-style versus a curved buttstock at this point.

bruce drake
04-10-2016, 02:37 AM
Well done Bruce, Happy you got it shootin.

Thanks Paul! And I see you are running with an Alias! :)

bruce drake
04-10-2016, 02:48 AM
The first trapdoor models (Model 1865) were cut for the 58 rimfire. The Model 1866, 1868 and 1870 were all chambered in 50-70. It wasn't until 1873 that the gov't decided to go with a small bore.

Kevin

Nice...smallbore... ;)

rondog
04-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Let me roll that for you a bit....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/misc%20rifles%20and%20longguns/arab.jpg

bruce drake
04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
thanks for the tweak!

bbailey7821
04-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Very interesting project. I will be watching for updates. I've always wanted one of those beasts!