PDA

View Full Version : New lever gun...

shoot-n-lead
04-07-2016, 10:13 PM
I got a call about 10AM this morning, from my gun dealer, telling me that my rifle was in....357mag Rossi 92 with 16" barrel. I happened to be with my son, that had gone together with his Mother to get me this gun as a retirement gift...so, upon getting the call, he immediately made a beeline for the gun shop. We did the paperwork in a hurry and made tracks home to look this over and get it ready for some shooting. We went through the normal ritual and were finally ready to load it up and see how it would do. Well, to say that I am tickled, would be an understatement. The gun functioned smoothly,flawlessly and shot to POA, right out of the box. Now, I have the Marlin, and while it is a fine gun, I prefer the 92 action as it is stronger and the overall gun just handles much better to me. This gun will mostly be paired with the Cimarron .357 pictured and they will probably share the same load as well. They both do well with the Lee RFN bullets...158gr or the 180gr.

I am a very happy camper with the little gun.

pietro
04-07-2016, 10:52 PM

Both my .357/.38 & .45 Colt Rossi M-92's with 16" bbls were issued with big loop levers, which I swapped out for standard loop levers, like your rifle has.

They're not "best of show", but they're winners in my book.

northmn
04-08-2016, 11:08 AM
I ahve a 357 Rossi with a 20" barrel and use it a great deal as my tractor/ATC rifle. Been a pretty good little rifle. I did D&T mine for a receiver sight as I did not like the open rear sight. I had to file it down to take 357 loads. Receiver sights are more accomodating to the wide range of laods that can be used in a 357.

DP

outdoorfan
04-10-2016, 01:31 AM
I also have a 16" SS Rossi 357. I've tricked it out with some "extra stuff". Most fun gun I have.

square butte
04-10-2016, 08:30 AM
I am a sucker for short guns. Count your lucky stars - You got a winner

shoot-n-lead
04-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I shot some Lee 125gr RFN in it yesterday and it does very well with them, also. I am going to have to work on the JHP's a little bit the couple that I shot it in, loaded for one of the handguns, did not shoot as well as any of the cast bullets. But, that really is not a problem as I don't shoot 100rds of jacketed bullets per year, cumulative, in all of my guns. However, I would like for get a load for a JSP that works pretty well, in it.

Windwalker 45acp
04-10-2016, 03:02 PM
she's a beaut' and a perfect companion to the SA.

Buckshot
04-12-2016, 01:23 AM
............When I lived out in the sticks I got tired of using a 22 rifle to shoot ground squirrels and had worked up a good load for my 03A1 Spfd (113gr Lee FNGC and 10.0 grs of Unique). Years later I picked up a Rossi M92 carbine (20" bbl) in 357/38. A load I really enjoyed was 8.0 grs of SR7625 under a 148gr WC. You had to single load them, but hitting a ground squirrel most anywhere with that load was "smackalicious" :-) About 50 yards was max (and it was iron sighted too) but it was good for an inch or inch and a half (if I could rest it on something).

..............Buckshot