PDA

View Full Version : Quantify the amoung?t of Hi Tek

Half Dog
04-07-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm coating by using the Hi Tek coating and I am reminded of my grandmother's directions for making gravy. She is famous in our family for saying "I don't do anything special, just mix until it looks right."

I coat 45 ACP 200 grain bullets 50 at a time. Is that considered a small batch? How many bullets do you coat in a batch?

Can you tell me how much coating to use for a batch? Or post a picture after one coating?

Thanks in advance for your help.

wlkjr
04-07-2016, 10:01 PM
I don't have pics but I did my first coating using Candy Apple Red today. I mixed 2 tbs. and 3.5 oz. of acetone in a plastic condiment bottle. I squirted just a little on about 50 .45s and shook vigorously for about 30 seconds. It was a light coat and I let it dry about an hour. Cooked about 12 minutes at 400F and let cool and recoated and let sit about 2 hours while we went to supper. Did another very light coat and am letting sit overnight. It gets darker with every coat. Can't really say how much I put on but it wasn't much.

DerekP Houston
04-07-2016, 10:15 PM
for hi-tek I would consider that a small amount. the key was 2 very light coats for me, i kept using too much powder.

Michael J. Spangler
04-07-2016, 10:20 PM
I use a fluff container. When it's just about full I like about 1/2 tablespoon of 1/5/10 catalyst/color/acetone.
Seems to do right by me.
It really is a little bit of a guessing game. A full container of 45/70s is different that a full container of 9mm bullets. Or 360 round balls.

Just go on the light side and adjust up as needed. I think some guys say 1ML per pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wlkjr
04-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Patience and very light coats with the right mixture seems to be the key. I'll soon know.

Ausglock
04-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Use 6mls of coating to 2Kg of bullets.
Size and weight do not matter, So long as they weigh 2Kg all up.

slide
04-08-2016, 11:53 AM
The coating comes with directions,follow them. A lot of guys try to mix small batches of coating thinking they won't waste any during the learning process. This stuff will set for months on the shelf after mixing. Weigh out you powder and measure your acetone,double check the temp on your oven,do what Ausglock and Hi-tek Joe say. This stuff has been researched and developed for a specific purpose. Follow those directions! That is what I like about this stuff, you have someone to go to for help who auctally knows, not somebody operating out of their garage.

wlkjr
04-08-2016, 03:40 PM
I cooked my first batch with the third coat this morning and sized afterwards. On the second batch I decided to size before the third coat. I liked it much better that way. I was undecided whether or not to do a third coat but they turned out great. On the wipe test I get a very faint color but it passes the smash test with flying colors. Should I not get any color whatsoever on my rag?

Gremlin460
04-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Try to coat 200 at a time, that will give you a more consistent result. If you only need 50 , then you have 3 more batches of 50 ready.
Coated casts last 3+ years, the reason I say 3+ is due to the fact I coated my first batch of cast that long ago and still have 1000 on the shelf.
Mixed coatings will last a long time, store in cold/cool place and out of direct sunlight for maximum life.

Trying to mix short, nearly always results in problems, due to the longevity of the mix, do a proper 20g/100ml mix and just use a little.

This is how it works for me, and many others... all the above is suggestion only.

Light stain on the rag suggests a min or two longer on bake, but no, it should give you no problems.

Ausglock
04-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Should I not get any color whatsoever on my rag?

A slight hint of colour on the wipe test is no problem ( by this I mean.... If you really have to closely look and think you can see colour)
Sometimes I wipe and think I see colour, but when I walk outside and check in sunlight, there is nothing. The eye can play tricks on you. If you have been looking at green bullets and then wipe a green bullet, the eye will think it sees green on the white paper.
ie: if you can just see colour on the white paper/cloth them it is OK.
Most of the powdered HITEK is overloaded with colour. The coating is cured and bonded fine. Just the excess colour is coming off.
No big deal.
But..... If you have white paper/cloth becoming the colour of the coating.......big problem!!!!!

DerekP Houston
04-08-2016, 05:47 PM
The coating comes with directions,follow them. A lot of guys try to mix small batches of coating thinking they won't waste any during the learning process. This stuff will set for months on the shelf after mixing. Weigh out you powder and measure your acetone,double check the temp on your oven,do what Ausglock and Hi-tek Joe say. This stuff has been researched and developed for a specific purpose. Follow those directions! That is what I like about this stuff, you have someone to go to for help who auctally knows, not somebody operating out of their garage.

Ahh, I have the powdered versions and always mixed it up as I needed it. Good to know its safe to mix and let sit, I'll probably measure it properly next time knowing that ;).

Ausglock
04-09-2016, 02:05 AM
I have powdered coating sitting in my shed that was mixed in October last year. Coated with it last week. No issues.

475AR
04-10-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm coating by using the Hi Tek coating and I am reminded of my grandmother's directions for making gravy. She is famous in our family for saying "I don't do anything special, just mix until it looks right."

I coat 45 ACP 200 grain bullets 50 at a time. Is that considered a small batch? How many bullets do you coat in a batch?

Can you tell me how much coating to use for a batch? Or post a picture after one coating?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I use the powder and mix for small runs of larger 50 caliber bullets of 100-200, I coat 3x very thin coats. I mix 1.5grams of black powder to 60ml of acetone. Thiscworks out great and I do not waste any.

zomby woof
04-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I use the 20/100 powder mixture for 30 pounds of boolits. This gives me one light coat and two normal coats. That's how I batch it. I coat five pounds at a time. One(ish) teaspoon for the first coat and one and a half for the next two. this works for me.

Warner C
04-12-2016, 03:30 PM
I use the powder 3tsp to 100 ml acetone. Bake at 350 degrees. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/c85658ca10e9555049ce21f5861831b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk