PDA

View Full Version : Strange leading, need y'alls advice

Oklahoma Rebel
04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
hey everyone, today I loaded up 20 45/70 loads for my marlin 1895. it has a 22" barrel. I loaded 2 extra just to test.the bullets had 2 coats of lee's liquid alox, after firing those two shots, I looke in the barrel and there was, what I would consider, heavy leading on about the last 5-6". I have shot hundreds of rounds using my pan lube and the bore stays unbelievably clean. has anyone seen this before? incase it helps my load is 31.7 gr imr4198,cci primer, and the lee 405gr.rnfp.fps should be about 1450 or so any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
Travis

Whiterabbit
04-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Yep, seen it before, and it makes PERFECT sense to me if you shot pan lube before, then saw this after you tumble lubed with alox.

The lube simply crapped out (or was expended) by the time the bullet traveled 16".

Dan Cash
04-07-2016, 04:13 PM
I tried tumble lube one time some years ago and had similar experience. Finally got the lead out last month. It is possible your bullet is too small as Marlins tend to large bores. When you pan lube, the lubricant filling the groove works to support the bands and obturate the bore, thus your perhaps too small bullet worked with that lube and not with the tumble lube. Just my theory.

I would stay with the pan lube system; perhaps refine your technique to speed up the works. I pan lube a couple thousand bullets a year and find it most expedient.

jcren
04-07-2016, 05:40 PM
If you want to use alox on a long barrel, try putting a patch of alox down the bore after cleaning. Basically pre-season the bore. Alox doesn't burn off and will eventually fill the pores of the barrel and stop this anyway. However, a thorough cleaning will remove it.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-07-2016, 06:23 PM
ok that all sounds reasonable, and I have decided to stay with pan lubing. I actually made a couple pounds of lube today, so I am set for the year, just a guess there. thanks and have a good one!
Travis

runfiverun
04-07-2016, 09:41 PM
alox turns to tar and sticks down in the corners of everything.
you didn't run out of lube.
what happened is the powder's gas quit pushing on the boolit and it relaxed slightly.
you don't notice it with the pan lube because it is still flowing and laying down a nice coat.
whereas the alox stuff doesn't have any real amount to it so it never quite flows all that much.
it acts as a barrier like HI-TEK does keeping the lead away from the steel, in this case when the boolit relaxed slightly the lube coating wasn't jammed into the steel and it rubbed off letting naked lead touch naked steel.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-14-2016, 01:44 PM
sounds like your right, I am getting a star lube/sizer, I just have to weld the handle! so I wont be having those issues anymore, unless I do something way wrong! thanks for the help
CASE CLOSED! LOL Travis