PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Lee 300 grain RNFP load at 900-950 fps in S&W 25-5 .45 Colt

Gray Fox
04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
I'm Looking for such a load to carry as a trail walking rig. Any ideas? GF

dubber123
04-07-2016, 06:20 PM
What barrel length? My 625 Mountain Gun is a 4", and I have some loads in my notebook that ran in that range or faster. My copy of that mold cast at 320 grains out of WW's.

If I get a chance I will retrieve my notes and post up what I have. H-110 ended up being the fastest, at about 1,050 as I recall.

Gray Fox
04-07-2016, 07:08 PM
This is the nicely balanced 4". I'm not looking for the fastest, just something that will do 900-950 fps from that barrel. I figure if I have to make a 25 yard shot it will be a long one. I'd rather have the lesser recoil and reduced shot to shot time more than a load that belongs in a Redhawk. All input will be appreciated. GF

dubber123
04-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Ok, my loads, safe in my gun, use at your own risk, yada yada. :)

*Federal brass, 16 grains 2400, standard primer, LEE 320 RF=893 fps.

*Same but 16.5 grains 2400,=944 fps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Federal brass, 12.5 grains HS-7, standard primer, LEE 320 RF=908 fps.

*Same but 13.0 grains HS-7,=963 fps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Federal brass, 20.0 grains of H-110, Mag primer, LEE 320 RF=1,062 fps

Brass can make a big difference, there was a 1.5 grain difference in charge weight to produce equal velocities across the chronograph between my lots of Federal and Remington brass, with Federal being faster.

Groo
04-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Groo here
Reduce to 270gr SWC Get Pederson"s reloading data [ Reloader mag]
Use the slowest burning powder, shells will fall out.

Gray Fox
04-07-2016, 09:48 PM
I've got the RCBS 45-270-SAA which drop right at 285 grains with WW, but I like the big flat nose of the Lee 300 RNFP better. It even shoots well out of my Rossi 24" .45 Colt Rifle whereas the RCBS boolit is too long to feed if crimped in the crimp groove. Dubber, I like the looks of the loads with 2400. I've had good luck with that powder in several calibers so I will give it a try with the Lee. If it works OK it will be my carry load when I search for morels and other fungi in the North Georgia mountains this spring. Lots of black bear and hogs up there that like to eat the same delicacies. GF

dubber123
04-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Good luck, I got that boolit to shoot pretty well, it shoots better the faster it goes. The H-110 load shot right around 2" at 50 yds. The others were nearly as good, and a little easier on the gun.

StrawHat
04-08-2016, 06:47 AM
You might get some ideas from this article.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Kevin

dubber123
04-08-2016, 06:55 AM
You might get some ideas from this article.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Kevin

Kevin, that was the article that prompted me to try some heavier handloads from my 625. I shot a few thousand of them through my gun, and had no issues at all, nor any gun wear I could detect. I have reduced boolit weight from the 320's, and don't run them quite as hot anymore. I have bigger guns for that if need be.

Judicious use of them for woods bumming sure won't hurt anything though, and they do put a good bit of power in a portable package.

StrawHat
04-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Personally, not a fan of 300+ grain boolits in a 45 long Colt, I prefer 260 - 280 grain SWCs but ... I have the recipes available for those who might like them.

Kevin

DougGuy
04-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Edited, comments removed after reading Linebaugh's references in the link in post #8.......

dubber123
04-10-2016, 11:26 PM
Doug, you might want to read the Linebaugh article linked above in post #8. The S&W cylinders aren't the weak point on the 25's/625's. Mr. Linebaugh has deliberately blown up quite a few guns with real pressure testing equipment, and I think he knows what he is talking about.

DougGuy
04-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Doug, you might want to read the Linebaugh article linked above in post #8. The S&W cylinders aren't the weak point on the 25's/625's. Mr. Linebaugh has deliberately blown up quite a few guns with real pressure testing equipment, and I think he knows what he is talking about.

Wow I did not know the measurements on the cylinder were comparable with a BH. I had a 25-2 years ago and best I can remember the cylinder walls were pretty danged thin. I never measured it against a Ruger. I was just going off my recollection with the 25-2 Magnaport modded big bore snubbie that I had. Honestly had no idea that the S&W 25-5 cylinder was as strong as it is. Is there that much difference in dimensions of the 25-2 and the 25-5?

Quoting from John Linebaugh's article:

"My other two favorite loads are 24.0 grains of H-110 and the 260 Keith for 1,080 fps and 23.5 grains of H-110 under the 310 Keith or 320 LBT for 1,100 fps. I use and recommend the use of these latter loads sparingly so you don't wear out your favorite sixgun prematurely. They are near the upper end of what the Smith and Wesson can handle safely. This is the load I carry when in bear country or on camping trips. This 4" S&W with the 310/320 at 1,100 fps is what I keep under my pillow in elk camp along with a strong flashlight. This is my everyday backcountry insurance policy.

Listed below are some loads I have used and recommend for the Smith and Wesson Mod 25-5 revolvers with good results for several years now. All load data listed below has proven safe in our shop with our components. Work up to all listed loads carefully following all safe reloading practices with your individual components. The author assumes no responsibility for any handloads other than his own.

Most of the new non-pinned Model 25-5 and 25-7 that I have inspected and shot here not only had minimum chambers but many had tight chamber throats. The common diameter was near .451 and none exceeded .452. This is plenty tight. Always remember that tight cylinder throats build unnecessary pressure. We polished all throats so the bullets we used would push through with minimum resistance.

Like Elmer said in his fine book Sixguns, all bullets should pass through the cylinder throats with just slight finger pressure. Overall the Smith & Wesson Model 25-7 and 25-7s are fine revolvers that offer plenty of punch for most situations normal folks will find themselves in. They shot bullets a little bigger and a little heavier than the .44 magnum at the same speeds from equal barrel lengths.

The difference in chamber pressure makes up for the difference in mechanical strength in the guns. The .45 just isn't quite as strong mechanically as the .44 magnum in the cylinder, but in turn the .45 does any equal amount of work with less pressure. It all balances out.
To date my oldest and most used S&W .45 Colt has probably taken 5,000 plus loads. Half of these have been 24.0 gr H-110 with the 260 Keith. Doesn't sound like I shoot it a lot huh! Well, I shoot a lot of other stuff daily on the side, and I figure this old Smith gets carried about 200 miles per shot. It's packable, practical and powerful, and that's what Old School sixguns are all about.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/Linebaugh45ColtFor%20SampW25-5_zpsmro32esb.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/Linebaugh45ColtFor%20SampW25-5_zpsmro32esb.jpg.html)

Neither I, handloads.com nor the author of this article assume any responsiblity for any use of the data listed here. It is the responsiblity of every handloader to verify the data they are using is safe in their individual handguns."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

I do agree on his assessment of the cylinder throat measurements, and also his (AND Elmer's) recommendation that the throats be sized so a .452" is a push through with light finger pressure.

dubber123
04-11-2016, 06:52 AM
I was surprised too at the comparison, and I have a pair of 625's right now. I ran maybe a few thousand of the 320's at close to 1,100 fps through one with no problems before I decided there really are better guns for that. I have dialed my normal loads back to 240-270 gr. boolits at milder pressures. If I was to carry one where I might encounter a cranky critter in the woods, I know the gun will handle them fine.

I have the twin to my 45 Mountain Gun but in .44 mag. With 315 grain boolits, (comparable to the 320's in the 45), it runs out of steam within about 20 fps of the 45. This pretty much mirrors and confirms Linebaughs findings to me, the lower pressure but more efficient .45 just about equally offsets the thinner cylinder.

DougGuy
04-11-2016, 11:42 AM
My Lee C452-300-RF runs 320gr checked and lubed. This should also be taken into the equation when the OP sets to choosing load data.

dubber123
04-11-2016, 04:56 PM
My LEE also ran right at 320 grains ready to go. That is the heavy boolit used in the loads I gave him. Mine loads aren't quite as adventurous as Linebaughs, but were where I felt comfortable running them to.