PDA

View Full Version : Another 310 question

shooter93
05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Do you have/need a separate de-priming die for each caliber or does one de-capping die work for all of them? What came with the complete set to de-prime with? Thanks

Pavogrande
05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
There is a deprime chamber with each set. However they are somewhat universal for many calibers. The chamber is generally the same size for all but can have a different size decap pin shaft. I think there are about three different diameters of pin shaft. About #10, 1/4 and 3/8 threads. I have not have seen any of the new made sets, they may differ.

floodgate
05-07-2008, 11:35 PM
shooter93:

What Pavogrande said.

BUT the selection is complicated by the fact that some of the later lookalike dies made for the Tru-Line Jr. presses have expander balls on the decap stem, and those marked "FL" or "CMR" will also have neck- or (for pistol and short rifle cases) full-length sizing sections. The original 310 decappers came in "short", "medium" and "long" outer bodies. A "long" decapping die with none of the above additions will do just about any case. If you spot one that looks promising, unscrew the innards and check it out against whatever you plan to be decapping. If you should lose or break a pin, Lyman has these in 10-packs (Cat. No. 7837786) @ $2.25. (I know, because I ordered some earlier this week.)

floodgate

KCSO
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
You need to be very carefull not to use a CMR Jr die in a 310 tool. You can size the case but the 310 tool won't pull the case back over the neck expander button. This can prove a pita. The solution is to take a expander button from the nnext smallller caliber and put it on the stem and then use a expander die from another set. I am thinking of making a photo guide to using the #3 and 310 tools with LOTS of pictures for the younger folks now getting interested in these tools.

floodgate
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
KCSO:

Great idea! Keep us advised - if I can help with photos or loan of tool or die samples, let me know.

Doug

26Charlie
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
That is a great idea - ditto what floodgate said - 26Charlie

NVcurmudgeon
05-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Arrrrrgh! I phoned Lyman today and ordered a mould rebuild kit and O rings for H dies and 450 reservoir piston. You'd think I'd have been smart enough to get decapping pins on the same order. I'm not. Arrrrrgh!

NVcurmudgeon
05-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Hah! Snatching victory from the jaws of my dementia, I phoned Lyman at 0615 (0915 Connecticut time) this AM and got decapping pins added to my order. Even got to talk to the same nice lady who remembered me. One thing about Lyman is that they never throw anything away. They still had me on their computer from six years ago when they sent me a free replacement 450 for the leaky one I had sent them.

floodgate
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
NV:

That nice lady is Karen Griffin; she is the Customer Service rep and her husband Tom is the ballistics person. Both have been very helpful, and Tom has dug out answers to many of my questions on mould history, markings, etc. They look in on this site from time to time, and like our stuff.

Floodgate