PDA

View Full Version : Merle Haggard

Clay M
04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
I can't say I am a big fan of country music , but I am a guitarist and I recognize genius.
I really liked Merle Haggard,and Roy Nickols.

They were part of a genre that will never be again.

A brilliant musician, and a legendary guitarist.

May he rest in peace.

nagantguy
04-06-2016, 06:45 PM
So glad I saw him in concert this winter!!!!!!

Bodean98
04-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Fly the flags at half mast!
Merle was one of the greatest. I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert in Tulsa many years ago. Hank Jr. was the headliner and Merle Haggard and Ricky Scaggs were the warm ups. They all wound up on stage together before the concert was over and that is when the party really started! One of the best concerts I ever attended.
IMHO, "The way I am" is one best songs ever written and is definitely my favorite Merle song.
RIP

Baja_Traveler
04-06-2016, 07:06 PM
I'll never swim Kern River again...

One of my favorites.

lefty o
04-06-2016, 07:21 PM
love his music, RIP. we're running out of outlaws!

Clay M
04-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Now Merle Haggard and BB King are both gone.

Two that I always loved.

I remember when Roy Buchanan and Stevie Ray Vaughn died.

It was Buchanan that influenced me to play guitar.

My life as a blues guitarist was never quite the same.

Now my favorite jazz guitarist Jim Hall is also dead.

I am running out of heros.

Hogtamer
04-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Well, just excuse me but...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=epnqisvSCwo
Not to mention 'The fightin' side of me.' RIP Hag.

Skunk1
04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
One of the greats. Turned his life around in San Quentin after seeing Johnny Cash play. Another great that has passed.

Clay M
04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
My wife and I play a local gig Friday to promote the local businesses .
We get paid nothing , just volunteer .
Every note I play is influenced by those guitarist I respect.

I have never really sat down and reflected on who has influenced me the most.

As a guitarist, many genres come into play.

But my daughter is sick ,so I would just as soon not play at all.
I have no song in my heart..but I will go

I promised I would ,so I will.

richhodg66
04-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Saddest thing since Waylon Jennings passed. Always like Merle, Rainbow Stew is one of my all time faves.

Clay M
04-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Merle Haggard claims his early life was just like the Steinbeck novel "The Grapes of Wrath."
One of my favorite novels and one I feel that ever American should read.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-06-2016, 08:45 PM
RIP Merle

MT Gianni
04-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Yep the old man from the mountains went home. RIP Merle your influence will continue to last. Been a fan since I heard "Sing me back home".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDyyDjWM_0

TXGunNut
04-06-2016, 11:27 PM
RIP you old outlaw. Oops, better "walk back" that "old" part, lol. One of his CD's is in my road trip stack, right next to that red-headed stranger. My favorite station is playing Merle tonight. Unlike most other country stations they played him last night, too. Mighty Merle was a songwriter who understood his audience.

C. Latch
04-06-2016, 11:29 PM
But my daughter is sick ,so I would just as soon not play at all.
I have no song in my heart..but I will go

I promised I would ,so I will.

I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear about your daughter. :(

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-06-2016, 11:40 PM
RIP Merle, Off this world and onto the next, I guess.

"Stop the world and let me off"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyILaHQolU

DougGuy
04-06-2016, 11:42 PM
I never was raised on Opry, I hated it because my dad was a huge fan. We didn't get along. I grew my hair out and played rock guitar, spent many years playing in the bars and touring, pretty hardcore indulgence years, and now my favorite album of ALL time, I listen to it more than any other album I have ever owned, Merle Haggard - The Bluegrass Sessions.

The songs and songwriting and the whole delivery of the words and music won me over against any odds, for me this is a powerful statement to make, considering my musical roots, but this is a powerful album, it digs down into your soul effortlessly, and then you can't get it out but then who would want to?

RIP Merle Haggard, thank you for the gift of your music sir.

I believe I have some listening to catch up on. Lemme see where did I put that tribute to Jimmie Rodgers?

TXGunNut
04-07-2016, 12:20 AM
I read he planned on dying on his birthday. I feel pretty strongly that a strong-willed person can chose the day he moves on to see what happens next. When you're at peace with your life and your destiny I feel that you can ask your Lord to take you from this world. I feel pretty sure I've seen this. When my time times I know I've had a good ride, just need the courage to let go.

square butte
04-07-2016, 08:17 AM
I just can say how many times those endless loop 8 track Merle tapes went around on those long cross country trips. His music still takes me back to times gone by - and too a special place that seems to exist less and less in todays world. Adios Merle. Hope to see you on the other side

Hickok
04-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Another real, true, country music performer, along the lines of George Jones, Vern Gosden, John Conley. etc.

What they call "country music" today, ?????, does not fit the definition.

jaydub in wi
04-07-2016, 09:07 AM
So glad I saw him in concert this winter!!!!!!
Glad that I saw him in Green Bay last October. He put on an excellent show.

dbarry1
04-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Best country music singer in the whole universe. RIP Merle.

WILCO
04-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Merle Haggard doing impersonations (Marty, Hank Snow, Buck, Cash)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4V3S7kGNjY&nohtml5=False

mtnman31
04-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Sing him back home...

WILCO
04-08-2016, 10:53 PM
http://www.greatnewmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/Merle-Haggard.jpg

Mtnfolk75
04-08-2016, 11:23 PM
I bet he and Roy Nichols are pickin up a storm, Roy was married to my Mother's youngest sister from 1961-1971. If We Can Make it Through December was written after that comment by Roy to Merle as his marriage to her was unraveling because of the touring, she had 2 small children at home.

RIP to a Great Entertainer & Songwriter.

LIMPINGJ
04-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Always loved Silver Wings.

richhodg66
04-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Always loved Silver Wings.

I hear the plan is to sing that at his funeral. Looks like Willie is the last of the outlaw country types now. I really like country music, but has gotten SO bad in the past few years. I work around teenagers every day so am unfortunately exposed to a lot of pop music I'd rather not listen to, but truthfully, the stuff that's passing for country lately is just as bad and maybe worse.

Losing Merle was a real blow, wish I had gotten to see him perform at least once. I did get to see Johnny CAsh and June once. Never got to see Waylon either.

Clay M
04-09-2016, 10:40 AM
I hear the plan is to sing that at his funeral. Looks like Willie is the last of the outlaw country types now. I really like country music, but has gotten SO bad in the past few years. I work around teenagers every day so am unfortunately exposed to a lot of pop music I'd rather not listen to, but truthfully, the stuff that's passing for country lately is just as bad and maybe worse.

Losing Merle was a real blow, wish I had gotten to see him perform at least once. I did get to see Johnny CAsh and June once. Never got to see Waylon either.

I agree. I love the old country, but totally hate pop country.

bruce drake
04-10-2016, 02:25 AM
My sons listen to the new country and get angry when I call it "Tractor Rap." Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and George Straight are my favorite 3 C/W singers

C. Latch
04-10-2016, 08:43 AM
My sons listen to the new country and get angry when I call it "Tractor Rap."

That's hilarious. Because it's accurate.

Rufus Krile
04-10-2016, 01:23 PM
CC, water back.... a Tequila Sunrise. A fitting toast to a great entertainer. Vaya con dios hombre.

BigMagShooter
04-10-2016, 07:52 PM
rest in peace

dbarry1
04-10-2016, 08:59 PM
... the stuff that's passing for country lately is just as bad and maybe worse. Agree. Sounds like cross between country and rap = ****.

Windwalker 45acp
04-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Pancho and Leftie and Always Wanting You were my two favorites by the Hag.

Mtnfolk75
04-10-2016, 10:18 PM
I have it from a pretty reliable source that " Always Wanting You " was written by Merle about Dolly ..... :-P

Also, " Pancho & Lefty " was written by Townes VanZant.