PDA

View Full Version : Loose Tru-Glow front sight

Half Dog
04-06-2016, 10:07 AM
I have a SA 1911 Loaded in a 45 cal. I had a set of Tru-Glow sights pressed on but now ( about a year latter) the front sight is loose. Can anyone recommend a way to reattach the the sight?

There seems to be a hole for a roll pin but the sight does not have a matching hole.

Thanks in advance.

EMC45
04-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Remove front sight (carefully). In the bottom of the dovetail "displace" metal using a center punch or a pointed scribe. Tap a few "dimples" into the steel and re-install your sight. Should do it.

pietro
04-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Several different aftermarket "pinned" front sight blades are not drilled for the pin, due to the many possible different pin positions on various guns.

I always drill the pinhole through the sight blade via clamping the sight blade in place, then drill the (usually 1/16") pin hole, using the existing hole for the pin as a guide.

Actually, if I don't have an appropriately-sized pin handy, after drilling for the new pin I grind the shank of the (sacrificial) drill bit to the correct length (drill bits are too hard to cut) as the new pin.

'

Half Dog
04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the responses. I am now looking forward to going to the range again.