PDA

View Full Version : Armi Sport Sharps Rifle

snipin101
04-05-2016, 07:17 PM
I am interested in purchasing one. It has a 32" octagon barrel double set triggers and flip up tang sight. I have herd mixed reviews and just wanted to know what you guys think. I have herd some are good and some bad. If so any way to really tell much by inspecting one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Don McDowell
04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Mine was great for about 10 rounds and then all the springs in the trigger lost their temper. Then the fly broke, the firing pin broke.
If you must by an import go with the Pedersoli.

Kevin Rohrer
04-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Or a Garrett.

country gent
04-05-2016, 09:59 PM
You hear alot of good reviews on the pedersolis ( and their barrels are praised by most) for being good shooters at a decent price. It dosnt take to many bbad reviews to make me really wonder about something. Unfortunatly you cant see springs temper or metals hardness temper and or stresses. You can see fit finish wood grade and such but the important things that make a rifle last and hold up arnt vissually checked.

Tatume
04-06-2016, 03:53 PM
I've heard good reviews of Pedersoli guns also. I've also heard good things about some other brands. I haven't heard any bad reviews of Armi Sport Sharps rifles though.

Jim_P
04-06-2016, 04:32 PM
I've got a Pedersoli. It's a great rifle. If you want - check You Tube for Pedersoli videos. They show their stock and barrel making. You'll get a first hand view of the care and quality they put into their guns. It's entertaining even if you don't buy a Pedersoli.

Nobade
04-09-2016, 03:35 PM
What Don McDowell said...the ones I have inspected and worked on were pretty bad. Not cheap enough compared to the Pedersoli or a used American made one to make it worth it.

-Nobade

bbqncigars
04-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Their 1874 Creedmoor replica I've got must be a real rare bird. Wood and metal fit are excellent. Finishes are great (including the color case on the receiver). The set trigger works great and is danged light once set. Accuracy is better than I am. I did replace the original tang sight with a Pedersoli version and go with a Hadley aperture. Don't mind me, I've only put about 6000 rounds through it at this point. So yes, I might of got lucky, but not all of their guns are junk.

BCRider
04-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Armi Sport is the "vintage" brand name for Chiappa. I've personally got an Armi Sport flintlock and it's a total disaster. The outsides of the gun look great. The inside mechanical details not so much. Case in point is that the lock work is made with no bridle plate so the alignment of the cock relies on how carefully fit it is to the plate. This means the sear and tumbler hooks have a really vague and inconsistent engagement. Not to mention that the tumbler is poorly shaped and has no fly at all. So the sear gets badly beaten up or even gets caught by the half cock notch if the trigger is pulled slowly and carefully.

It's total garbage in other words.

I've seen similar issues personally on a couple of locally owned Chiappa guns. And a local gunsmith I shoot with says that he positively cringes when a Chiappa or Armi Sport gun is brought in for much of anything.

That's all enough for me to avoid them any more like the plague. I won't buy any more until reviews of them show that they've smartened up with their engineering even if it means that the exterior finish suffers a little. It's like they are mostly made to be wall hangers with very little or no shooting to be done.

69daytona
04-24-2016, 11:14 PM
I think it was luck of the draw with the armi sharps, I have had one in 45-70 for 5 years and after slugging the barrel and finding out it was .460 and getting the proper mold it shoots pretty good.
never had a problem in 5 years.