PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon replacing some SR-series powders with new equivalents! *The PowerFactor Show*

Mytmousemalibu
04-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Don't know how many of you guys watch or subscribe to The PowerFactor Show on YouTube, I do and its a pretty good show. Anyhow, they have a history of doing an annual interview with Chris Hodgdon where they discuss whats new, what's going on, addressing rumors and concerns. Pretty interesting!

The question was raised this time about whether the SR powders were dropped as planned which we all know happened but Chris mentioned that they were working on creating modern replacements for the beloved SR powders and perhaps others with the newest in that line that some of us have caught wind of already, Winchester 572 which is intended to be a new SR 4756. I am eager to see a new SR 4759 but the new Winchester 572 is all that has made public release right now. Chris also addressed what is going on with the Clays line and other difficulties with availability of some other powders like Varget.

Some of you may already know about all this, others might not so thought it might be welcome information!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EKqTforecg

pressonregardless
04-05-2016, 05:57 PM
I sure hope they come up with a replacement for 4759.

Mytmousemalibu
04-05-2016, 07:42 PM
I sure hope they come up with a replacement for 4759.

You & me both! I wished I had some and I know we aren't the only ones.

fryboy
04-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I globbed on to all my meager funds and supply would allow ...only way I'd have a lifetime supply is if I never pull the trigger

RogerDat
04-05-2016, 08:09 PM
I have been going with the old motto "steady licks whip the devil" Buy a little every time the gun show is local. Maybe only $100 worth of powder or primers but as long as I'm buying more than I use the reserve supply grows. Have thought about saving and making purchase in bulk but seems like the smaller purchases while less cost effective tend to get made while the big online orders do not.

Don't have the time right now to watch the video show but I would be curious why Varget has been so hard to come by. Seeing other powders but this last weekend was only the second time I found Varget at the gun show in about 6 months. You know some went home with me. It was a tough call however, they had a 4# jug of Titegroup for a good price. But I have a pretty good stock of that.

Mytmousemalibu
04-06-2016, 02:41 AM
Don't have the time right now to watch the video show but I would be curious why Varget has been so hard to come by. Seeing other powders but this last weekend was only the second time I found Varget at the gun show in about 6 months. You know some went home with me. It was a tough call however, they had a 4# jug of Titegroup for a good price. But I have a pretty good stock of that.

The short of it, the shortage of Varget that is; because it is one of Hodgdon's powders made in Australia. Because of regulations over there, they are only permitted to fill 1 shipping container with powder per cargo ship! That is the reason explained anyways. If I read him correctly, all of Hodgdon's Extreme Series of powders come from downunder. If a large percentage of your powders come from there and you only get 1 ship container per boat, what you do get spreads very thin over the size of the demand. Most of us know of the fire they had at the part of the plant there that made Clays. Revaluation of everything it was determined is was best they dropped that line from production there and that recipe was picked up by General Dynamics in Canada and we are now getting some of these long awaited shotshell/handgun powders and aren't limited to getting it in one container per ship quantities.

It would be nice to see some Varget being made up north too, might ease things up a bit. I'm still holding my breath for 2400 and some Extra-lite too but that's not Hodgdon's problem.

sav300
04-06-2016, 07:48 AM
We have a powder shortage here too. ADI/THALES are here in Aus.

RogerDat
04-06-2016, 05:10 PM
I think we be just snagging it up as fast as it arrives, especially if we have not been able to find some desired powder for awhile. Or have already invested a lot of time looking for it. Once located we are more inclined to purchase a larger quantity. Having had to do without makes it more valued, larger purchase may postpone the investment in time spent trying to locate the next batch. Or by purchasing more now might even eliminate that extra effort if the powder in question becomes more readily available before my larger batch runs out.

I'm a poster child for the problem. I wanted to try Green Dot (or Red Dot) but none to be had despite a lot of looking. Then I find some at Bass Pro (overpriced but what isn't anymore). Now instead of buying a single pound to try out, I buy two because if I like it I will have the same problem getting more, and since I have to drive 60 miles to the Bass Pro Shop to pick it up I might as well order.... this, that, and the other powder while I'm at it. Been hard to find those too. Think it was Unique and H110 that I bought along with it but you get the idea. I ended up with about 7# of powder when all I really needed was 1# of Green Dot to try out.

Then there is the 1# of Varget at the gun show. I'm not out, and actually I'm trying BL-C(2) for that caliber right now but because Varget has been hard to come by I went ahead and took another pound off the market. Making it more likely you would be experiencing a "shortage".

When it is rational to hoard folks will hoard and that creates shortage that makes hoarding even more rational. However things have clearly been getting better. Cabela's had a full set of shelves, the gun show had an assortment of both pistol and rifle powders. Not everything you could want but at least a couple or three good candidates for anything you wanted to load.

Mytmousemalibu
04-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I hear ya and if I had to guess, most of us think like that. Especially when it comes to powders we really liked and can't find or worse are no longer available, case & point, SR-4759. There was a whole lot of coulda/shoulda/woulda's after this most recent shortage after Sandy Hook that we are still not and may never be free of. I was caught with my pants down on that and vowed to not be caught, hung out to dry that bad again. I do my fair share of hoarding but not on the level some guys do. I couldn't afford to play that game like the big boys do. I don't really need anymore .22LR, I can be picky there and only going for fair deals and the premium stuff like CCI Stingers/Velocitors if I see some. About a year ago strolling through Cabelas a clerk set out some bricks of .22 and it was one of the 300rd CCI packs of mini mags which I prefer. Well the shelf was dry in a flash as someone must have phoned their .22 buddy hotline and everyone turned up to scavenge it all. I was looking at something else in the area and walked by, heard a dad tell his son, "sorry buddy, looks like they are all out". I couldn't stand hearing that, I handed him the one I had and said you need this more than I do! I walk right past most of it now. I'm pretty good on most powders I need, have plenty of lead, molds, etc. I lack some select powders that all of us are looking for because there is little to be had anywhere & I could stand to get some more primers and there is some brass I would like to get more of. What have I didn't get it all overnight or at once, little here, little there, and left some for the next guy. It takes diligence. Luckily I'm pretty good on Varget, I lucked into a Keg of it a couple years ago and have a few 1lb'ers of it too but wished the rest of you guys could find more of it. More than anything, I probably should be getting primers which I prefer to buy them by the case to get a break on price. I can play around with different powders & bullets to keep shooting but without primers, we're sitting ducks. It's hard to walk past some of the historically hard to get items when you see them even if you have a small stock of it. I share the feeling of "what if this is the last time I see this again for a few years" feeling when component shopping. I was relieved to get those cases of Federal primers today, that will keep my USPSA shooting going for a while. I grew up with the comfort of knowing that I could go just about anywhere and get a brick of .22 for next to nothing and that was just the way it always was growing up. We can't rely on that thought process anymore if you truly enjoy this hobby, this lifestyle and furthermore, we have more reasons to keep our own supplies on hand these days more than ever. Wished it wasn't this way but it is what it is.

Ken in Iowa
04-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Thanks for posting Malibu.

There seems to be a warning there around the November election.

Mytmousemalibu
04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks for posting Malibu.

There seems to be a warning there around the November election.

Hey, no problem! Thought most of you guys & gals might find it interesting. It's nice hearing the info right from the man's mouth versus hearsay and it sure sounds to me like there was some subliminal info to glean from Chris. Lets all pray we come out of the other side November with our minds at a little more ease!

qcredneck
04-06-2016, 09:28 PM
You don't find varget because it's all ship here in Canada Québec. About the only powder you can find...:bigsmyl2:

Blackwater
04-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the video Mytmouse. There's so many rumors running wildly about that it's good to see something straight from the horse's mouth. I appreciate this.

Mytmousemalibu
04-07-2016, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the video Mytmouse. There's so many rumors running wildly about that it's good to see something straight from the horse's mouth. I appreciate this.

No problem! I have gleaned so much great info from you all here with the Cast Boolits community so it puts a smile on my face to be able to give something back once in awhile!

Really awesome of Chris Hodgdon to sit down with the PowerFactor gang and share publicly with them and to us. Not something you see a lot of CEO's doing. I just played messenger boy on this one!

I will try keep an ear to the ground for info and to link in other things of this nature in the future for you guys if I can!

KYCaster
04-07-2016, 10:58 PM
No more SR7625.....:violin:

PbHurler
04-08-2016, 08:36 AM
No more SR7625.....:violin:

I'm with you there.

At 13:32 in the video, Chris makes a few comments that give me a little optimism for a replacement.

montana_charlie
04-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Winchester 572 which is intended to be a new SR 4756.

Some of you may already know about all this, others might not so thought it might be welcome information!
I didn't know about it, but it is exactly the information I have been hoping to find. Thanks for passing it on ...