PDA

View Full Version : Roll Crimp vs Taper crimp

crabo
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I have been struggeling with my col for my 1894, and for some reason I never thought about taper crimping. I was just assumming I needed to roll crimp in the crimp groove, since that is what I ususally do for my heavy loads for my revolvers.

Anyone taper crimping their lever gun loads? I had a short email exchange with another poster and he taper crimps.

I know there is the possibility of raising pressures if I set a bullet deeper into the case than the crimp groove. Any guidelines here?

Maybe it is the combination of modifying feed rails and taper crimping to shoot the heavier boolits.

Thanks,

Crabo

bobthenailer
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
i taper crimp all straight wall pistol rounds in the crimp grove of the bullet in 38 / 357/ 44 mag / 454 casull , when loads are under 1000fps with excellent results and the brass will last a little longer .i usually have 3 crimping dies for each caliber taper, med crimp and heavy crimp so i dont have to change the adj and my crimp is allways at the same setting

Blammer
05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
btw I never modified my feed rails with the 200 gr bullets I was using in my levergun.

I only modified the rails to get the longer 360 DW case in it.

Modifying the feed rails allows the back of the case to pop up sooner out of the carrier.