PDA

View Full Version : Dillon square deal (pre B)?

historicfirearms
04-05-2016, 12:54 PM
I just picked up a Square Deal set up for 44 mag. It's an older press that I got in a trade. The previous owner said he sent it in to Dillon for a refurbishment about ten years ago and hadn't used it since then. I'm not sure if I have a "Square deal B" or the older pre-B model. How do I tell the difference?

I would like to get set up to reload 38 special and maybe 9mm. If I have the older pre-B press, can I use the caliber conversions for the SDB? I will also need the parts for small primers and wondering if they interchange between models.

Are these good presses? I do most of my reloading on a Lee turret press. I got this one thinking it would be nice to get a little more speed for some of the pistol rounds I shoot the most.

W.R.Buchanan
04-05-2016, 01:42 PM
If it was actually sent back to Dillon for Refurb it was probably updated as well. I would think the caliber conversions are universal to the press design but a simple call to Dillon will answer all your questions.

Yes they are good presses and when set up right they are a joy to use, I have two. .40S&W and .45ACP both run great. If you are only going to run pistol cases they are definitely a great buy, they just won't run Rifle rounds.

Call Dillon!

Randy

Alvarez Kelly
04-05-2016, 02:16 PM
If it was sent back 10 years ago, it came back as a Square Deal B. The only significant update was the failsafe powder system. They also added the low primer alarm.

If the powder measure has a rod attached to the bellcrank, then it is the updated, Square Deal B.

All conversion/die kits are completely interchangeable among all Square Deal models.

Dillon on did come out with an updated primer feed mechanism, but it was a long time ago and they would have upgraded it also 10 years ago.

All you need to run small primers is a small magazine tube and a small primer cup and anvil. It would be way more convenient to have a second primer slide though. If you were never going to use the large primer slide, just swapping in the small cup and anvil would be far cheaper.

You can get all these parts from Dillon.

I might have them too. I could look when I get home tonight.

jmorris
04-05-2016, 03:04 PM
I have two of the very first ones and yes Dillon will upgrade any that come back for a referb or send you the parts. The "B" mods are a lot older than just 10 years ago. Even the new frame (has a guesset in the casting for the rear mounting hole) is older than that.

They also switched from delrin bushings in the link arms to bronze at some point and will send you new link arms if you call them and ask for new bushings.

The primer mod was just a plastic guide that keeps the slide from binding. IIRC

Alvarez Kelly
04-05-2016, 03:44 PM
snip...

The primer mod was just a plastic guide that keeps the slide from binding. IIRC

The plastic guide was a crutch for the early primer system. The new version doesn't come with it. Dillon completely redesigned the housing casting and the slide itself. The easiest way to tell the difference side by side is the length of the slide return spring. The new version has a spring about 1 3/8" long. The early version had a spring only 5/8" long. The short springs seemed to break a lot. The short springs are no longer available from Dillon

Walter Laich
04-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Yours is a B. the plastic between the tool head and body was white; the B models are blue like in the picture. There have been up-grades here and there since then but more of "evolution not revolution" in changes.

Newest change I'm aware of is an updated ejector wire on top of shell plate--new shape

imashooter2
04-05-2016, 06:10 PM
The old pre B didn't have that raised rib running to the rear mounting bolt boss either.

jmorris
04-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Yep, that is the "new" style frame.

The old ones looked like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdzxJenkX0

imashooter2
04-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Funny, mine looks like this:

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/SDB-bit.jpg

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/SDB-clamp.jpg

Silverboolit
04-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Great job using a distributor hold down clamp! Gave me an idea for a project solution.

W.R.Buchanan
04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Randy

imashooter2
04-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Great job using a distributor hold down clamp! Gave me an idea for a project solution.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Randy

I was loading a quick 300 for a match the next day. That was 40,000 or so rounds ago. I still have the RMA number written on the instruction manual. Maybe some day I'll use it. :razz: